Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Updating RAM question.  (Read 9100 times)

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Updating RAM question.
    « on: April 20, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »
    I did a search on this and couldn't find what I needed.

I am working on an old generic desktop computer that has 128M of RAM. I know this computer isn't the fastest thing around but I'm putting something together for my grandkids to learn on.

According to the manual the motherboard supports up to 256 MB of DRAM (a minimum of 8 MB) on board (72-PIN SIMM x 2, 168-Pin DIMM x 2), BIOS auto FP DRAM, EDO DRAM and SDRAM configuration.

What would I need to find to increase from the 128 MB?

Thanks,
    G
    "Get away son you bother me"...W.C. Fields

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Updating RAM question.
    « Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 11:24:34 PM »
    Normally, the answer to your question would depend heavily on your current memory configuration (that is, how you have 128MB)

Thankfully- it's not to difficult to narrow down. Although I'm not 100% sure, I've never seen or heard of a SIMM module that was larger then 8MB; in fact, motherboards such as the one you're working with were "transitional" the idea was to allow you to upgrade your Motherboard and Processor from your older model and still be able to use the SIMMs from it; the DIMMs are probably what would constitute the 256MB limit-

Now, that being said, the 128MB you have in there is either 2 64MB DIMMS or 1 128MB DIMM; if you  have 2 64MB DIMMs, you'll need to rip them both out and replace them with two 128MB DIMMs; if it's just using a single 128MB DIMM, you can get a single new 128MB DIMM and plop it in the empty slot. (word of advice: you might want to get some compressed air to clean out that slot, to prevent dust interfering with the new RAM)

One you determine wether you need 1 or 2 128MB DIMMs, you need to find them... These are usually marketed as SDRAM. If you have a local computer shop (by which I mean a smaller outfit- not best buy or anything along those lines) you might inquire there, you can usually have better luck with old components at places like that. I have seen new SDRAM modules being sold in several larger stores as well(like best buy, future shop, london drugs, etc) so it cannot hurt to take a look around there, either.

Hope this helps! Good luck :)
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 01:24:34 AM »
      Thanks for the information. From what I can see there are 4 slots according to the motherboard manual and visually that is what I see in the computer. All 4 slots are full so you may be correct in assuming that they are 64 MB. I agree with you on the compressed air. This thing has been sitting around for a few years not used and it is pretty dusty inside.

I wonder if there is a website that has used pieces like what I need.

G

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 07:26:53 AM »
        It sounds like (from the mathematical calculation) that given you currently have 128 MB of ram that what you do have at the moment is 4 sticks of 32MB. However this is not really relevant given your intentions to upgrade to 256 MB. Because you do have 4 slots available it does increase your options however for a variety of combinations. It now becomes more of a matter of what you can find and the costs. I personally would recommend that if you opt for multiple sticks (as opposed to a single 256 MB) that you try to obtain all the sicks of the same manufacturer. Again personally i would try to go to the single 256 MB stick route. B.C.'s advise on sources is very good. Shops that repair computers will probably be your best bet. You should be able to find removed ram (used) from older computers there. Might be an idea to take the computer with you so as to have the store install it in their presence in case it does not work then they cannot blame you. good luck ,truenorth

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 07:51:58 PM »
          Ok. It is obvious that I don't have a clue when it comes to memory sticks. Am I supposed to put in sticks that have the same "ns" as what I pulled out? I seem to think I remember somebody at work say something about that back in 95. I picked up 2 128 MB sticks that are 100ns for a few bucks. However, when I plugged them in, the memory test didn't change. Computer indicates at the memory test 131072K OK, but when I put the 128's in the memory test indicated 131072K like nothing was changes. The 2 sticks I pulled out one is 4M x64 10NS 3.3 V UA10 alone with some other numbers, the other only says 32MB 4 clock. They are 2 sided sticks so there is a total of 168 pins. I have changed sticks in one of my other older computers with success in that area, but not with this other one I'm working on.

Any ideas? Is there something that needs to be changed somewhere?

Thanks for the replys.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 09:01:56 PM »
          The 2 sticks I pulled out one is 4M x64 10NS 3.3 V UA10 alone with some other numbers, the other only says 32MB 4 clock.

Thanks for the replys.

that's weird... 32+4 certainly doesn't add up to 128 ???

It's possible the 4M is actually 4*64, or 256MB, and it's not compatible with your motherboard so your motherboard is only able to see half of it; to confirm this remove the one that says "32MB 4 clock" and report the new results.

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 07:30:20 AM »
            With one 128 stick in memory reads 98304K and when I replaced it with the other 128 stick, memory test also read 98304K.

With the original 4x64 in by itself, memory reads 98304K, and with the 32MB 4 clock stick in by itself memory reads 98304K.
            Can the 128 sticks be bad? or just not compatible like you said? If not compatible how do I find out what is compatible?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 07:48:51 AM »
              Go to this site and run their free memory scan. http://crucial.cn/systemscanner/
              It will tell you what you have (should only show what is actually functioning) and will also tell you what kind and how much that computer can use. truenorth

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 08:05:34 AM »
                Go to this site and run their free memory scan. http://crucial.cn/systemscanner/
                It will tell you what you have (should only show what is actually functioning) and will also tell you what kind and how much that computer can use. truenorth

I was reading a response to a post and you mentioned Crucial and I wrote it down too, but completely forgot about that. I'll give them a try now. What I found out though is this motherboard only supports EDO ram. May not be able to find any sticks for something that old.

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 08:25:27 AM »
                If you do they won't be cheap...
                " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 09:09:10 AM »
                  If you do they won't be cheap...

Everyone I have talked with has said the same thing. I may have found someone locally but I won't be sure until he opens monday morning. I am going to check going prices on Ebay if there are any to see what they look like.

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 09:36:08 AM »
                    OK. On ebay I entered PC100 128MB SDRAM and found quite a few buy it now's. To be honest, I don't even know what I should be looking at. Any experts here want to check it out and let me know? It seems the prices look fair. For information, on the 4M x 64 stick the bar code sticker has:

94UA 10E2WNH 32MB SDRAM TOR 806
                    4M X 64 10NS 3.3V UA 10
                    CELESTICA CL003N04640JBAU-10
                    20078C

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                      • Yes
                      • Yes
                      • BC-Programming.com
                    « Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 09:54:30 AM »
                    With one 128 stick in memory reads 98304K and when I replaced it with the other 128 stick, memory test also read 98304K.

With the original 4x64 in by itself, memory reads 98304K, and with the 32MB 4 clock stick in by itself memory reads 98304K.
                    Can the 128 sticks be bad? or just not compatible like you said? If not compatible how do I find out what is compatible?

It seems the 128's are working fine; not sure abotu the 32MB...

at least, this is what I am presupposing. In some older systems, the video adapter built into the motherboard actually gobbles up RAM, and the system can never use it- (nowadays, the memory is shared communally between all the components, it's like a hippie festival for electronics). This might be the case here- 98304K=96MB of RAM, + 32MB (amount of RAM used by many integrated video cards)= 128MB.

before, you had one 128MB stick in, as well as the 32MB stick. this gave you a total of 160MB, of which your integrated video (this is purely conjecture, really) took 32MB, leaving you with 128MB.

Of course the fact that having this supposed 32MB stick in leaves you with the same 96MB figure is nothing sort of inexplicable by any logic I can contrive.

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 10:05:59 AM »

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                      • Experience: Expert
                      « Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 10:55:20 AM »
                      I think you may have encountered, the PC100/133 "high-density, low-density issue".  I purchased PC133-256MB, 1st PIII reported it as 128MB, 3 others wouldn't see it all.

In general, if the 256MB has chips only on 1 side, it's most likely high density, chips on both side is low density.  The PIII I tried the 256MB in and it only reported it as "half", also has a 256MB module with chips on both sides and it works perfectly.  So, it's not only an issue of how much memory is supported, but the type of chips that are soldered to the module.