Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Virus protection  (Read 5357 times)

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Virus protection
    « on: April 29, 2010, 04:12:47 AM »
    I would welcome some advice on what virus protection I should use. I have a Windows 98 OS and I use Firefox. I am aware of the fact that it can be vulnerable but changing to a better OS - possibly Linux is not really on the cards. I have been using avast! but I get the impression that it does so much computing that it could well be the cause of the very slow response to typing that occurs on occasions. I also have Ad-Aware and Spybot which I run occasionally. There is also CCleaner which I have not used recently. I probably should use just one and become familiar with its capabilities.

MisterEvasion

Greenhorn

Re: Virus protection
      « Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 04:56:42 AM »
      CCleaner is good for clearing the crap (thus the name) from your system, but does no real-time protection. I recommend it for light system housekeeping - but that is it.

Avast! is really heavy like AVG and is a menace on resources - especially on RAM. I would go for the lightest AV you can get - depending on your surfing habits. If you download a lot of stuff, you need something robust. I would visit TrendMicro and see what they have. SpyBot is one of the best free adware you can get - but Ad-Aware is usually sufficient and would be my only preference.

I am a stickler for resource conservation, so I go as light as I can go and avoid pirate software, cracks and so forth.

This is a good rule for anyone to follow: If you ever get a scareware message box saying 'your computer is infected, etc.' Calmly close the browser using TASK MANAGER. Click on nothing. Behave as though your browser just crashed. You can save a lot of trouble from java trojans that try to get in that way. They call it scareware for a reason.

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 11:02:00 PM »
        I will get rid of Avast! I do not do a lot of downloads. It is mainly email. I will use CCleaner to get rid of crap then do Ad-Aware regularly. Thanks for that advice. I as slow to respond because I was not advised that there had been a reply even though I clicked on the reply box.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 06:40:42 AM »
        Avast! is really heavy like AVG and is a menace on resources - especially on RAM. I would go for the lightest AV you can get

Source ? ?
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Keithuk

Rookie

• Martin2k
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 04:22:14 PM »
        The Avast that I use on my WinME is Avast! Home Edition 4.8.1368 its the last version that works on Win9x/ME. I don't find it uses a lot of resources then again I'm using 639kb of RAM what are you using?

Any problems using it then let me know.  ;)
        Windows XP 2002 SP3 - Desktop computer
        Vista Home Premium SP2 - Laptop
        Windows ME - Spare computer
        Windows 8 64bit - Laptop

Programming with VB.

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 11:15:29 PM »
          Thank you, keithuk for that advice on Avast. I have 192 MB of RAM.