Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Puppy is the best  (Read 5303 times)

webeye

Puppy is the best
« on: May 04, 2010, 10:21:26 PM »
 ;D Puppy is the best linux distro I ever tried. Because it is the easiest and is fast on my old laptop. I am trying to convert/convince my friends to give it a try by giving them a livecd to use.Anyway I am having fun and saving a laptop from oblivion. ::)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Puppy is the best
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 01:41:36 AM »
Tell them more!
Puppy Linux is a full-fledged operating system bundled with application suites covering a wide variety of tasks which can be used productively by general users. However, because Puppy is small-sized and can boot from many media, it is also useful as a rescue disk, a demonstration system, or for reviving old computers. Puppy can boot from:

* A live USB, including USB flash drives or any other bootable USB storage device (flash-Puppy)
    * A live CD (live-Puppy), with six flavors to choose from
    * A Zip drive or LS-120/240 SuperDisk (zippy-Puppy)
    * An internal hard disk drive (hard-Puppy)
    * A computer network (thin-Puppy)
    * An emulator (emulated-puppy)
    * A floppy boot disk that loads the rest of the operating system from a USB drive, CD-ROM, or internal hard drive

Puppy Linux features built-in tools which can be used to create bootable USB disks, create new Puppy CDs, or remaster a new live CD with different packages.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppy_Linux
Download: http://www.puppylinux.com/download/
OR
Official site http://puppylinux.org
Read pver the list of packages.
If the version 4.3 does not work for you, try a version 4.2 retro.

webeye

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 10:38:24 PM »
Yes, I agree and do give them links to everything for and about Puppy. My husband thinks I am nuts because I spend more time on my Puppy Linux laptop than on the new Acer Aspire with windows 7. I just get on the windows laptop to keep it updated.

He is going to give me another laptop to put linux on it has 512 mb ram. The one I am using now is got 128 mb ram and a 3g hard drive. I installed Puppy and I am in heaven LOL

I do not care for windows to much it is nerve wracking to take care of.

Cityscape

Adviser

• Running Debian 8, Linux Mint and Windows 10.
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 09:57:31 AM »
The one I am using now is got 128 mb ram and a 3g hard drive. I installed Puppy and I am in heaven LOL
I've never tried Puppy. Does it actually run well with only 128 RAM? It's very minimum requirement is 128 MB. For old computer I use Lubuntu. Several reasons: it requires only 64 MB RAM (actually the hardware requirements are similar to Windows 98), it is based on Ubuntu which is my favorite distro and it comes with all the programs i need.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 01:04:02 PM »

2x3i5x

Expert
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 01:14:55 PM »

mr-bisquit

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 01:39:19 PM »
Puppy is good.
I haven't tried it in a couple of years, though.

@Geek-9pm, You seem pretty interested in Open Source, are you running anything, any projects, etc
or
are you looking for something to get into?

Cityscape

Adviser

• Running Debian 8, Linux Mint and Windows 10.
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 02:18:16 PM »
Puppy is good.
But I mean does it really actually work well on old hardware. Lubuntu will run on 64 MB RAM and any Pentium CPU. Puppy needs 128 MB RAM and 166 Mhz or higher. Puppy has the higher requirements so then wouldn't Lubuntu be better for old computers?

I'm looking for a distro that: has a UI and can run on 32 MB RAM and a 80386/80486. So far the best match I've found is Slackware, it can run on a 486 with 64 MB RAM.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 03:37:24 PM »
Puppy is good.
@Geek-9pm, You seem pretty interested in Open Source, are you running anything, any projects, etc
or
are you looking for something to get into?
I was into Linux many years ago. I did help  people use in in Spanish. But now I have plenty to do just  trying to remember which pills to take and when is my next doctor visit. Wait let me turn on the microphone. I hate typing.
Him all right, now I have the microphone on my head and I can blabber a bit.
For many here is my wife and I have engaged in voluntary missionary work in South America. But I have to admit I was not really very good at it because of my health issues. We were volunteers the just paid our own way, because I was in a position to do that. After being one in one country I came back to the United States and found that I could not get a job in my own field of broadcast engineering, so I started studying computer programming and computer technology. When I became certified as electronic technician I went to work for the Dysan Corporation done in Silicon Valley.
Well put long story short, I officially became a professional programmer and I did a similar language. And also worked on hardware at the same time. So I was sort of a multilingual multi-task  super technician and junior programmer.
Many many years later we went to South America again and this time I'm took an interest in Linux and tried distributing it to people in South America. Of course that was not my principal reason for being in South America, it was to do with our missionary work. But I do like the concept of Linux. It is based on a very noble idea, that of sharing your work with others without expecting anything in return. I believe this is a very important, underlying principle that is often neglected.
Incidentally, the comparison between Linux and the commercial software corporations has been sometimes compared to a free market and a religious institution. Sounds rather ironic, doesn't it?
Think of a big free open marketplace for all kinds of people come together with their wares in goods and trade and exchange and are able to carry on a commercial business, but not to the point of exploitation. In a free-market exploitation and fraud is quickly identified. There are too many people watching you. So that has been used to describe the idea of the open source software movement. In contrast to this, the secret software developers have been compared to a priesthood that keeps their operations inside of a mystic cathedral. If you go into the cathedral you can ask questions if you want. But the answers you get are very limited and the priests will not tell you everything that you would like to know. And they expect you to contribute something significant for whatever help they can give you. That was used in an article written some years ago, I don't remember exactly who wrote it. But it was something about the Bazaar and the Cathedral.
Anyway, I no longer have the time and resources to do it much like attention to things that are not immediately necessary. But I do like getting on this forum and sharing whatever I know with others. At no charge. But then, I'm not sure if my advice  is worth anything anyhow!.
I do believe that Linux, not Windows, will help with some of the communications need that people have in Third World countries. Oh, that's not politically correct anymore. Now they're called developing countries. In many developing countries there are still remote areas worst people live in the jungle and speak dialects that are not widely known in the rest of the world. Some of these people do not even have a written language, or if they do, it is not taught in the schools. With new advances in technology is now possible to have a very small DVD player that a missionary to take into a remote area and show the native people a presentation that was prepared in the language. With such audio and visual tools a lot can be done to educate the people of the world. Hopefully, technology and the open source movement and have some part in this.
But do not trust the big commercial companies to help out with this. Some while back somebody had an idea of putting laptops in the classrooms at $100 a pop and to try to get many countries to support this idea to help the children in the underdeveloped countries. Well is a good idea, and made use of open-source materials, but guess who came along and said oh we can do it better but it'll cost $200 a pop instead.
Okay. End of my rant for today. But I still think Linux has a future, and Windows eventually will die. While I say this, I'm actually using a Windows system to dictate this. So far, the dictation software I use is only available in a Windows system.

mr-bisquit

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 04:14:56 PM »
There's Knoppix adriane http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-adriane/index-en.html
and festvox.
If you're talking about guarani, my grandmother speaks that language. Me, I can only say, "What's going on here?" and nothing else.