Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Will Apple replace Microsoft?  (Read 8919 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Will Apple replace Microsoft?
« on: May 06, 2010, 07:56:03 PM »
The headline below stops short of saying that.

From CNN
Is Apple becoming the Microsoft of mobile?
By Eliot Van Buskirk, Wired
May 5, 2010 5:01 p.m. EDT
Full Story Here

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Will Apple replace Microsoft?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 09:58:52 PM »
The headline below stops short of saying that.

... So you took the liberty of doing so.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 12:22:14 AM »
Yes, but as a question. Did you look at the story?
Maybe I should have asked:
Will Yuppies**  let off using MS Outlook in favor of
Text messages on a mobile device?

But MS has no interest in the mobile market?
If MS does not get a grip on the mobile market, they are toast. If they don't do it in a few years

** Yuppie (short for "young urban professional" or "young upwardly-mobile professional")  came into use in the 1980s and means secure, upper-middle-class young person under forty.  :P

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 12:53:48 AM »
Very interesting article. Honestly, if they continue the way they're going, I think they will end up in the same place Microsoft is.

I don't agree with the wording you used though. It doesn't describe the article at all. The article isn't about Apple "replacing" Microsoft or their competition with each other in the mobile market. All it says is that at the rate they're going at, Apple is going to end up in the same boat as Microsoft with anti-trust suits and whatnot with their restrictions on apps and programming languages for Apple devices.

So, to answer your question:
In the mobile market, it overtook Windows Mobile long ago.
In the PC market, not anytime soon, if ever.

To answer the question of the article:
Is Apple becoming the Microsoft of mobile?
Looks to be heading that way.

Did you look at the story?

I suppose a better question would be: Did you?

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 11:56:25 AM »
With the Android OS gaining popularity and acceptance so fast I'm going to bet that Apple doesn't become the Microsoft of the Phone market, just a popular choice.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 12:10:51 PM »
With the Android OS gaining popularity and acceptance so fast I'm going to bet that Apple doesn't become the Microsoft of the Phone market, just a popular choice.
Yes, recent events indicate that Google will become more important that Microsoft in driving new sales of  Personal Computer/Internet /Phone devices.

Still, the Apple iPad is become the Next Big Thing.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 12:36:44 PM »
Still, the Apple iPad is become the Next Big Thing.

According to Apple maybe, but after it's release I still don't think it'll be the next big thing. Too limited when compared to everything else out there. Sure it'll be a fun gadget but I don't see it replacing the laptop/netbook.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 04:47:28 PM »
According to Apple maybe, but after it's release I still don't think it'll be the next big thing. Too limited when compared to everything else out there. Sure it'll be a fun gadget but I don't see it replacing the laptop/netbook.
But did you hear about how it it'll come...
- with a built-in Web-Cam?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 07:46:31 PM »
Well without flash support that may be pretty useless...unless you LOVE large file sizes...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

the_mad_joker

Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 02:28:00 AM »
    Apple Cant Replace MICROSOFT   8)

And Even If They Want To It Will Take 2-3 Decades   :o

And If They Did How Would Windows Appear

"Apple Windows" -Sheesh  ^-^  What A Name

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 04:43:05 AM »
    I have been fighting Apple for years.

About 3 weeks ago, I finally got fed up of yelling at my PCs and got myself a Macbook Pro. It is fantastic.

Don't get my wrong, I still use Windows. I do feel there is a necessity to have a Windows Operating System (I've got Win Seven running via Bootcamp & Parallels), but the Mac OS is amazing.

After this purchase, I'm beginning to notice everyone's behavior from the other side. "Why get a mac?" "Macs suck" "Get a windows laptop!"
    That's exactly what I was like a month ago :P

the_mad_joker

Apprentice

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 09:01:36 PM »
      the Mac OS is amazing.

Is It Good For Gaming  ???

Do EVERY Software That Worked On W7 Will Work On Mac ?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 09:14:20 PM »
      Is It Good For Gaming
      Just like Windows, it depends what Mac computer you get. For example this 15-inch runs Call of Duty perfectly.

Yes.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 09:19:12 PM »
      Is It Good For Gaming  ???
      The system is, and I believe most games that can be made to run on Linux can be made to run on OSX.

Is this even barely relevant? does every piece of software that worked on mac work on windows 7? Of course not. they are different operating Systems. Not every windows program created can run on Linux either, but a lot of people choose to use Linux, sometimes for the very reason that they can't run windows software.

And even for those programs that don't run- there are equivalents that can be had that are at least as good, if not better. And, even then- most Windows programs have versions that run on Mac anyway (office, for example).

Re: gaming: gaming hardly counts anyway. if the market share of the mac OS or Linux went up, then game developers would make Apple and Linux versions- the only reason they don't always do that now is because the market penetration of windows as well as the very mindset you illustrate (windows is the only OS that can play games). Besides, the change has already started- now that game developers can create a version for windows, and a single version for both Linux and Mac OSX, more of them are doing so.

A very similar demographic in Operating Systems earlier on had DOS at the forefront- it was only after Windows became more popular and easier to run that game developers switched to create games that ran on Windows. the First quake, for example, was a DOS game, whereas Quake 2 was a windows program (for windows 95). This switch was not because it was too hard to create a game on windows, but rather because the developers had to essentially learn an all new architecture- with DOS games, most of the programmers had learned all sorts of tricks and hacks to  get more speed from their games running on DOS. these same techniques couldn't be used on windows, because the architecture was completely different.

As far as I'm concerned, basing an OS choice on "what games can I play" is pretty stupid.

Apple Cant Replace MICROSOFT   8)

And Even If They Want To It Will Take 2-3 Decades   :o

And If They Did How Would Windows Appear

"Apple Windows" -Sheesh  ^-^  What A Name

Replace. Not buy.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 10:02:48 PM »
      In my opinion, which does not count for much, whatever advantage Microsoft now has in computer gaming will not last long. Large successful game companies have got it figured out how to port their software over to whatever OS is currently popular with the people. There are quite a few net books out there and there is the Apple iPad coming on strong.

(Funny thing just happened, I tried to pronounce the name of the new Apple product and guess what it put, the speech interpreter typed  "Apple hype pad.")

Up to now, a personal computer is either a desktop or laptop. But the point where the distinction between these types of devices and handhold devices is no longer clear. The new personal computers are going to be handhold devices or pocket-sized devices or something you can slip in your backpack or your fanny pouch.

Unless Microsoft comes up with a really original idea very soon, their market share is going to become smaller.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 10:34:53 PM »
      In my opinion, which does not count for much, whatever advantage Microsoft now has in computer gaming will not last long. Large successful game companies have got it figured out how to port their software over to whatever OS is currently popular with the people. There are quite a few net books out there and there is the Apple iPad coming on strong.

I'm pretty sure that TMJ is refering to "hardcore" games- like, for example, the Call of duty game Carbon has noted, or Fallout 3, Crysis etc. games of that nature that require rather powerful machines.

Now, that isn't to say that a Mac with enough power can not be had, but I highly doubt the iPad will be powerful enough to run them. Besides, a large selection of games can probably be found in the Apple store for the Itouch/iphone (and I imagine iPad, as well as the upcoming iMat and iFloor).

Also, it's interesting to note that some of the "higher" games, like Fallout 3, have versions for completely different architectures (such as PS3) so it's probable that it would be a relatively simple task for them to create a version for Linux or Mac OS.

(Funny thing just happened, I tried to pronounce the name of the new Apple product and guess what it put, the speech interpreter typed  "Apple hype pad.")

lol  ;D

Up to now, a personal computer is either a desktop or laptop. But the point where the distinction between these types of devices and handhold devices is no longer clear. The new personal computers are going to be handhold devices or pocket-sized devices or something you can slip in your backpack or your fanny pouch.
      laptop PCs have always been several years behind in terms of power and gaming capabilities, and they will always be both more expensive and harder to upgrade then equivalent desktops, which means that desktops, regardless of the OS, will be the premier choice for gaming.
      Unless Microsoft comes up with a really original idea very soon, their market share is going to become smaller.

[/quote]

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Computer Hope
      « Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 05:18:38 PM »
      Thought this recent news article related to this thread. This is a pretty big milestone, especially for a company that was next to nothing a few years ago.

--

Yesterday Apple became the world's biggest IT company by market value, eclipsing Microsoft for the first time since 1989, and even Google. Even so, it is not the most expensive company. That is EMC, the storage company, if one goes by the price-to-earnings ratio. Analysts say the event is a milestone in the way the development of the industry from hardware to enterprise services to consumer services.

Link
      -Albert Einstein