Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is there a way I could remotely control a computer?  (Read 4362 times)

Doug

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Beginner
Is there a way I could remotely control a computer?
« on: May 07, 2010, 12:04:25 AM »
My mother went to Tx and has trouble even using email.  At work, I know the tech guys do remote stuff because sometimes I will walk by a PC and and it looks like someones using it but no ones there.  The screen and menus are moving and there's typing. 

I'm a novice with computers and I know there's remote assistance on my computer but-how could I connect to her in Tx.   

What would be a first step?  If there is a way.  What program could I look at?  What info would I need from her or my computer?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Is there a way I could remotely control a computer?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 12:45:59 AM »
Place your mouse on a blank space on the desktop. Click it to focus out of your browser. Now hit the F1 key. This brings you the windows help page.
Look up near the top right and see these words:

Invite a friend to connect to your computer with Remote Assistance

This works with Windows XP and other recent versions of Windows. First try it with a buddy and learn how it works.

Why not just call your Mother? With the right long-distance and internet service plan it will cost you nothing for calls inside the USA.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 01:44:31 AM »
Why not just call your Mother? With the right long-distance and internet service plan it will cost you nothing for calls inside the USA.

You have evidently never had to help people perform tasks on a computer over the phone.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Kando

Hopeful

• Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 04:11:49 PM »
    Take a look at www.crossloop.com. It is a free download and very easy to use. I use it for my parents, 76 and 74 in Florida, as well as my genius daughter in college in California. Mom would have to download and install it, but after that it is as easy as double clicking and calling you with the access code.

You don't have to create an account to use it.

Doug

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 06:22:54 PM »
    That might be awesome.  Even the basic screen share.  Because we can talk on the phone but I will know and be able to guide her to the right place on the screen and tell her what to click and not click on!  It's not so much as I need control but to see what she sees. 

Kando

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 09:18:25 PM »
      It really works wonders. You can watch them or take over and show them how it is done. Glad you like it.

Doug

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 12:16:06 PM »
      Hey!  This is a good idea!  I finally got mom in Tx to install and use it.  I guided her through attaching photos to an email over the telephone.  This is the funny part.  After I told her I can see her screen she goes, "you can see the pictures,"  "do I still have to send them?"  Yes, still send them. 

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 12:18:39 PM »
      Team Viewer is another free popular remote desktop program.

http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

2x3i5x

Expert
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 06:58:20 PM »
      Just wondering, though... there is a way to record a computer's actions remotely? I meant, you tell your mom how it works but she forgets so then all you'd need to do is to tell her to review the video instructions.

killerb255

Adviser
        « Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 10:36:15 PM »
        Just wondering, though... there is a way to record a computer's actions remotely? I meant, you tell your mom how it works but she forgets so then all you'd need to do is to tell her to review the video instructions.

I would think FRAPS, SnagIt, or CamStudio may help.  Not sure if these will choke while trying to record Remote Desktop activity...
        Quote from: talontromper
        Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        « Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 04:50:12 AM »
        Of some options mentioned (Remote Desktop Access, CrossLoop, and TeamViewer) here for remote access, none of them provide for recording a user's activity on their PC desktop.  But, you can see what the other person is doing while you are connected to their computer.  At least, I know that's the case with TeamViewer and, as I recall, with the Remote Desktop Access.  I don't know whether that's true for CrossLoop; perhaps they can see what you're doing when connected to their computer but you can't see what they are doing. 

TeamViewer is free for personal use; I've used it with my mother.