Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer problems after removing virus.... please help.  (Read 2850 times)

jbrauer

Topic Starter

Starter

computer problems after removing virus.... please help.
    « on: May 10, 2010, 07:28:46 PM »
    hello, i run windows XP and recently had a piece of malware removed from my computer, after removing the virus i restarted my computer.
    i cannot open about 98% of web pages...  my internet is not the problem, but it isn't internet explorer either because i installed firefox to see if that fixes the problem.
    and suggestions on the problem would be greatly appreciated.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: computer problems after removing virus.... please help.
    « Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 07:43:54 PM »
    You're probably still infected...

Clik Here...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jbrauer

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 07:47:46 PM »
      i have tried scanning, and rescanning, and a few boot scans with my anti-virus, it doesnt find anything.
      i think when it tried to stop the virus it deleted something that may have messed with my computer, and made it so i can not open web pages.

Azzaboi

Apprentice
      • Aaron's Game Zone
        • Aaron's Game Zone
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 07:50:58 PM »
      Viruses can change a lot, depending on what type...

Check your HOSTS file: C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc

Once you have found your HOSTS file, right-click on the HOSTS file, and then select Open. You will be asked to choose a program to use. Select Notepad, but make sure you that you do NOT turn on any option to always use the same program.

Anything else that appears in your HOSTS file without an # at the beginning, apart from the "127.0.0.1 localhost" line, should be viewed with suspicion when we are trying to diagnose the cause of "Page cannot be displayed" errors. You can temporary comment them with # at the front of the line to check. Reply back if you think there is something fishy added to your hosts.

Sometimes Internet Explorer is unable to access the Internet if software known as Layered Service Provider (LSP) has been removed incorrectly from a computer or previously infected.

Start, then Run and type CMD in the dialogue box that appears, and then click OK. Type netsh winsock reset into the DOS window that appears.

Aaron's Game Zone
      The best free online flash games: http://azzaboi.weebly.com

Play Games - Play free games at Play Games Arcade

jbrauer

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 07:57:12 PM »
        thank you, ill try that as soon as i can.

Carnifex

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 08:01:01 PM »
          I recommend you backup your important files, reformat your HDD(s), then reinstall your OS.

More could be changed than the HOSTS file. A hacker could have added a backdoor to your security so you'll be easier to infect again in the future.

Anytime your computer is infected to that extent, a clean reinstallation of your OS is generally the most effective and safest cure for the problems caused.