Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CPU overheating  (Read 11300 times)

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Keep Canada beautiful. Swallow your beer cans.
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: CPU overheating
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 08:49:04 PM »
Well so far it's never shut down, so I guess till then I'll just keep er' going. Thanks,once more.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2010, 09:00:02 PM »
I once had overheating problem with my computer due to dust in my CPU and shuts down due to thermal occurance. Cleanse my motherboard with paint brush and a portable air compressor. Open up my power supply also to clean its own exhaust fan for better efficiency. Hard drives and CD drives. Lastly, the Heatsink. Cleaning Heatsink are a bit tricky. Why? Because they have such wall intervals in between for air flows that you need to thoroughly clean them with a slim brush. Air compressor sometimes cannot scrape dust enough. After cleaning it, my computer still shutsdown... ???. Fortunately, a friend of mine ask me to take out my processor and clean those gold coated spike teeth below the processor(Forgive me for i don't know what are they called) with an old tootbrush(soft bristles). And told me if the paste is still fresh, you don't need to replace or add once you finish cleaning. Just make sure you put the processor in the right place(there's a  small circle-mark when you pull out the processor, just follow it)and the heatsink. Eventually it work for me and i have never had any thermal event or shutdown. My computer has only one exhaust fan for the processor(passive) with just a cover on top of the heatsink. I never added any fans or updated any BIOS. I even have a warm room. I don't know if you wanna try but if you have the time, do so. I think cleaning the processor mount will help too. 8)

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2010, 09:58:36 PM »
Thanks for that jason2074. I hate second guessing the guys at the shop. But, I was not present when they worked on my PC. I would like to think that they did what they said. Which is as I've said above, remove heatsink,change thermal paste and at this point temp. was still high. They then proceded to try a different heatsink with a much bigger fan and still nothing. I've cleaned (especially since this has happened)my PC quite thoroughly a number of times. Mind you I never did the toothbrush thing. Perhaps I made need to resort to that yet?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2010, 11:10:23 PM »
You're Welcome.  :D Check also your power supply exhaust fan if its dusted. My computer is an old 2003 Dell desktop. And thats the problem it only encountered(1st post). I also thought it needs an extra fan or having a poor old fan. But when i cleanse it overhaul, It gave went back to its normal performance. Good Luck!

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 11:18:17 AM »
Thank You. Computer_Commando
Except for adding the extra fan, the others have been checked/tried. They didn't feel at the shop that adding an extra fan would help in the light of everything else.
Well I added the extra fan anyway, (3" top of the case) and it actually appears that the CPU temp. has dropped 2-3 degrees. The other things that I'm wondering about now; a) new PSU and ; b) add yet another fan??. My PSU is at times very noisy on start up. So I'm considering changing it. My present PSU (400W) has an enclosed bottom, slotted front and a approx. 3" exhaust fan out the back, and PCU unit does get a little warm. The one that I'm considering (500W) has 4 3/4" fan on the bottom and it exhausts out the back. The fan on this one sits directly over the CPU and I'm wondering if that may also take away some heat from my CPU? Also I'm not desperate enough to try this yet, but I read someone else's solution to a high temp. CPU. After they could find no other cure they claim what they did was add another fan to the vented CPU intake to blow directly on the CPU fan and this supposedly reduced their CPU temp. by 30%???. Some how, one fan blowing on another fan just doesn't sound quite right to me though?
Anyway, would appreciate your thoughts / comments.  overthehill

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2010, 10:30:30 AM »
Any PSU that exhausts out the back would be a better choice IMHO...

Why leave the heat in the case ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2010, 10:59:05 AM »
Thanks patio. But the one that I have, and the one that I could have, both exhaust out the back. The difference is, the one that I currently have is only drawing air through rather small slots and exhausted by a small fan out the back. The one that I'm considering, draws air through a  large fan and then also exhausted out the back. What I'm thinking and hoping is, instead of having an enclosed heated, (PSU) directly above my CPU, I could have a 4 3/4" fan drawing air from that area. So what I'm wondering now is, do you suppose this will in anyway help my CPU heat concern?   

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2010, 11:02:41 AM »
Any and all air movement is good...as long as its all going in the same direction and not fighting itself...
I like to think of it as "front of the case =intake...back of the case = output...

KISS.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2010, 01:06:21 PM »
Any and all air movement is good...as long as its all going in the same direction and not fighting itself...
I like to think of it as "front of the case =intake...back of the case = output...

KISS.
So same direction OK, but when an auxiliary fan is blowing directly on a CPU fan (same direction), would you consider this fighting or assisting?.What are your thoughts about one fan assisting another,as I described earlier?. Oh and yes, I really do appreciate your HO.  And with ADR, IANS, so I do not require a KISS. An informed, respectful answer (TMQ), will suffice. overthehill

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2010, 03:26:18 PM »
And told me if the paste is still fresh, you don't need to replace or add once you finish cleaning.

If you take the heatsink off the processor, you should clean off any paste from both the heatsink and the processor and reapply. It doesn't matter if the past was applied 10 minutes or 10 years before.

So same direction OK, but when an auxiliary fan is blowing directly on a CPU fan (same direction), would you consider this fighting or assisting?

depends if the "outer" fan moves air faster then the CPU fan. For the most part it's rather pointless, though. You can get better CPU fan heat dissipation by replacing the CPU fan rather then shoot air at it using some other fan.

What are your thoughts about one fan assisting another,as I described earlier?.

Quote from: patio
Any and all air movement is good...

However, consider for a moment that having one fan exclusively "assisting" another is a waste. you could have that fan set to cool, say, the hard drives or some other component. if the CPU fan isn't doing it's job- simply replace it with a better one. using an "assist" fan is more a band-aid solution.

Oh and yes, I really do appreciate your HO.  And with ADR, IANS, so I do not require a KISS. An informed, respectful answer (TMQ), will suffice. overthehill

Is it just me or is this meant as some sort of abrasive comment because patio was "foolish" enough to use a acronym? after a few minutes of trying to decipher it I have come up with this possible expansion:

Oh and yes, I really do appreciate your HO. (Humble Opinion)  And with ADR (A Deep Respect), IANS (I Am Not Stupid... (or maybe I Am Not Sam)), so I do not require a KISS. An informed, respectful answer (TMQ (absolutely no clue what this means)), will suffice.

Couldn't figure out the "TMQ" part.
I hope I'm reading it wrong or totally misreading the tone here but it really seems like you're implying that Patio is being less then helpful. Although I equally suspect I may be reading too many of Marvin's postings.

Anyway, there are two ways you use fans to cool a PC:

the traditional method, which has Air Exhausted through the back (via the power supply and maybe a CPU fan). Air intake is either done through baffles at the front/bottom  of the case (thereby encouraging airflow from front to back, bottom to top) or simply sucked through cracks (cheaper cases). Generally speaking it's important to make sure the case is as "sealed" as possible, except for those intake-output areas. Inside, fans are placed in an ideal arrangement to maximize cooling. Often times a fan is placed near the front of the system which blows air over the expansion cards, as well as any chipset heatsinks that happen to be there. Of course in any semi-modern machine there is a fan exclusively used for cooling the CPU. traditionally this is mounted directly onto the heatsink, and it usually blows air down onto the heatsink (but there are some I've seen that blow up, and thereby "suck" the air through the sides of the heatsink, but these are usually less effective). Another method uses the more passive technique of mounting a large cowling that creates a "exclusive" channel of air that is sucked out the rear of the PC and used to cool the CPU. Also,  Most systems also have a system fan that really just makes sure that air is properly circulated.  Generally, you don't have fans that "assist" each other, strictly speaking, it's redundant.

Another issue that sometimes arises is people will sometimes mount two fans on opposite sides of the case (say one sucking air into the case from the rear and another blowing air onto the hard drives from the front) Aside from changingthe basic concept whereby you have colder air come in one side and hot air out the other, the two fans are "fighting" in a sense, and their hot air will essentially remain pooled where they meet.
You can think of it sort of like a radiator the radiator is able to cool the care because the heat is transferred from components to the collant, and then the air flowing through the grill (and probably the radiator fan) cools that coolant and it goes for another pass. In a similar fashion, the idea of arranging fans is not necessarily to say, make Component X cooler, but rather the provide optimal airflow so that cold air is quickly delivered to hot components and that hot air is quickly expelled out the case.

Another, less common method that got some attention in the late 90's and early 2000's was reversing everything- basically, have the power supply suck cold air into the case- that is, create a positive pressure within the case. This technique has the obvious flaw in that the Power Supply is often as hot if not hotter then the CPU in many cases, and trying to bring cool air to the CPU through it is like trying to cook a turkey using an Easy-bake oven; basically, while the technique has it's advantages, using the power supply as a conduit to bring air in simply results in a lot of warm air circulating around and not a lot of heat dissipation on the part of the components- also, it reduces the effectiveness of any other fans, such as CPU fans or chipset fans, since they now have to try to cool the component using a warmer "base" air temperature. The only real advantage of this solution is that the Positive pressure means that dust is not sucked into the case, but rather the opposite.

The difference is, the one that I currently have is only drawing air through rather small slots and exhausted by a small fan out the back. The one that I'm considering, draws air through a  large fan and then also exhausted out the back. What I'm thinking and hoping is, instead of having an enclosed heated, (PSU) directly above my CPU, I could have a 4 3/4" fan drawing air from that area.

ACtually, there is a very good reason that the PSU is mounted at the top of all PCs (well, excepting laptops who have rather unique layouts). The answer is the same reason why it's a bad idea to try to use them as a conduit through which to inject cool air into the system. They are very hot. They put it at the top simply because heat rises- so the heat given off by the power supply generally doesn't affect the other components that are lower down in the system, and usually this heat is sucked out immediately anyway (if you're using the same (shoot air out through the power supply) method). from what I can gather the PSU your considering has a fan built in that will allow you to attempt to get the hot air from the CPU out of the case as fast as possible.

Also (And I apologize if this has been mentioned before) if you haven't done so, since your problem appears to be entirely CPU oriented you might want to try a better thermal paste and even maybe a different CPU Fan assembly.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2010, 05:23:14 PM »

Is it just me or is this meant as some sort of abrasive comment because patio was "foolish" enough to use a acronym? after a few minutes of trying to decipher it I have come up with this possible expansion:

Couldn't figure out the "TMQ" part.
I hope I'm reading it wrong or totally misreading the tone here but it really seems like you're implying that Patio is being less then helpful. Although I equally suspect I may be reading too many of Marvin's postings.

Thanks BC_ Programmer. An answer without an acronym.. Let me start this way; I'm not abrasive, rude or stupid. I enjoy my time spent at CH and I certainly appreciate all that is/has been done for me. FYI,TMQ was not abrasive in the least. As you stated an acronym or two was used,(one I did take an exception to). If you were to go back in this thread you would see that the question that I asked was not answered,simply duplicated, then I was given this KISS thing. I don't use that acronym when I ask a question, and I don't expect to receive it when I answer one, period !. And seeing that acronyms were being thrown about, I decided to use one of my own.
TMQ was simply an answer "T"o - "M"y - "Q"uestion", nothing more and nothing less.....  overthehill

Salmon Trout

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2010, 07:27:54 PM »
I wish people would get straight the difference between an acronym and an initialism. In 1943, David Davis of Bell Laboratories coined the term acronym as the name for a word created from the first letters of each word in a series of words (such as sonar, created from sound navigation and ranging).  While the word abbreviation refers to any shortened form of a word or a phrase, some have used initialism or alphabetism to refer to an abbreviation formed simply from, and used simply as, a string of initials.

dwegiel

Rookie

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2010, 09:23:53 PM »
    60*C MAX TEMP?? BS. My P4 2.8ghz lga775 socket, OC'ed to 3.1ghz pulls in a nice 55*C idle and 67*C in 100% usage. Just clean your case inside out with a brush or compressed air. Make sure to clean out the heatsink, that's for sure.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #28 on: July 10, 2010, 09:44:09 PM »

dwegiel

Rookie

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2010, 09:58:35 PM »
      But still that is BS. I pulled in 95*C on my laptop (it's now dead because of other reasons, like for example, FORCED destruction), and it (had) a Penitum Dual core t2400. And it worked. But max recommended, IMO is 80-85*C. 100*C - boiling water. Most of the components have a boiling/melting point of more than that. So I say no biggie.