Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CPU overheating  (Read 11294 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: CPU overheating
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2010, 10:14:46 PM »
Most of the components have a boiling/melting point of more than that. So I say no biggie.

The maximum operating temperature has nothing to do with melting points of the components and everything to do with the fact that a higher temperature changes the physics involved, such as the capacitance, resistance, and so forth of components. Not to mention of course the increased expansion/contraction that occurs between the metal conducting and non-metal insulating components that can cause traces to develop hairline fractures. In the case of a CPU, the change in resistance and other properties of the various components both shortens the lifespan as well as causing errors.

Secondly, running a computer for a shorter time at a high temperature stably is no indication that you can do so for an increased period of time. my old K6-2 processor has a rated maximum of (I believe) 68-75 degrees, but due to it having a thermal pad that time forgot it would often approach 85 to 90 degrees celsius. Was it stable? well, yes, for the most part. But that's hardly any indication of endurance at those temperatures, it just means it can handle them for a short time.

a Human being can live for 3 minutes without oxygen. by your logic, depriving a person of oxygen for 2 minutes, we can come to the conclusion that they can survive indefinitely without it.

Short term effects are almost always entirely different from long-term effects. Drug addicts learn this the hard way.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Keep Canada beautiful. Swallow your beer cans.
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2010, 10:21:18 PM »
So I say no biggie.
This PC may very well run for a long time at this temp. I'm sure I'll find out, if I can't get the temp.reduced. Nevertheless when I went for advice from (what I consider a very knowledgeable guru here at CH) it was recommended that I get my CPU temp. down. If you read back on this thread, you'll note that I've tried almost everything to do this. The only thing so far that has helped a little was an auxiliary fan. And you know what, I'm still not satisfied.

dwegiel

Rookie

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2010, 09:12:17 PM »
    @BC Programmer: Love your analysis of various things by connecting them to real life. Clap, clap, clap and thanked.

@overthehill: Attempt a downclock with a SetFSB, because I bet you want this PC to run for a long time. YOu may also try in BIOS. It's fine in my opinion, but hey, I've had a desktop for 6 mnths now? Lol. Laptops for the LOSS. :P

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Keep Canada beautiful. Swallow your beer cans.
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #33 on: July 11, 2010, 10:11:55 PM »
    @overthehill: Attempt a downclock with a SetFSB, because I bet you want this PC to run for a long time.

Underclocking the CPU to solve the heat issue is only treating the symptom and not my problem. And yes, running this PC for a long time would be nice. ::) Anyway, I've got a few more ideas on hardware changes that I hope will help. overthehill