Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor Issue - 'Input signal out of range'  (Read 18469 times)

icechicken13

Monitor Issue - 'Input signal out of range'
« on: June 23, 2010, 02:19:34 PM »
I recently purchased a 25 in. HP monitor to go with my custom built tower running Vista, which was successfully running on an old square Sony monitor for a few weeks.  Upon trying to use the new monitor, the Windows startup screens run through fine, then when the desktop should boot up, the screen goes black and reads "Input Signal Out of Range - Change settings to 1920 x 1080 - 60Hz".  Trying to run the computer with the old Sony monitor now has the same effect (similar error message), as does using my tv as a monitor. 

I've temporarily solved the problem by going to my friends house and using his old tv and an s-cable hookup which allows the desktop to be shown.  My more computer savvy friends then changed the display settings on the computer, and we hooked up my new monitor and it was working great until I unplugged everything and brought it home, now everything went back to having to having the same issue. We've gone through this process twice, and if I have to do it again I'm going to pull my hair out.

Booting in safe mode works, and I'm able to see the full screen though it's very low resolution, and changing any display settings while in safe mode does absolutely nothing.

Also it doesn't matter how I hook up my new monitor - same error happens using dvi to hdmi cable as well as vga cable with dvi adapter. 

Thanks.

pcs365_2

Beginner

Re: Monitor Issue - 'Input signal out of range'
    « Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 08:38:19 AM »
    Hi,

Start your computer.
    When the bios info page turns to black (as if about to start loading Windows) press F8 a few times.
    A page will pop up with options to start Windows.
    Choose Safe Mode then press Enter 2 times.
    If you still get to the Windows Logo page then just hit the reset button and do it again.
    Once in Windows, goto the Display Properties.
    (right click on the desktop and select display properties)
    A window will pop up.
    The last tab at the top of that window is Properties, selct it.
    You will see a slider on the left side in the window now open. Slide it back to 800x600 or 1024x768.
    Click apply, then OK.
    Close the box and restart the computer.
    PCS365.2
    Bangalore.

S1L3NTSN1P3R

Rookie

Re: Monitor Issue - 'Input signal out of range'
      « Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 07:46:04 AM »
      Or, you could do the F8 thing, and start in VGA mode. Then put the screen res slider up bit by bit until you get the error.