Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: AGP Video Graphics Cards Knowledge Needed  (Read 3881 times)

stewie-Y

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
AGP Video Graphics Cards Knowledge Needed
« on: July 02, 2010, 02:28:17 PM »
Hey!

I have a few old computers set up so that my buds and I can play old games. I wanted to put CoD1 on them all, but a few don't have the graphics capabilities to play it, so I've decided to upgrade some of their video cards, but I need some help.

I found a good deal on a few cards (DELL AGP VIDEO CARD 128MB DVI 180-10118-0000-A04), which should be able to run it perfectly, but I'm not sure if it is compatible with the computers that need it.  And I just can not figure out its specification and speed, though I think it is a 4x.
Here are some pictures of the cards that I'm thinking about buying:

Here are pictures and details of the computers that I want to put these cards in(Motherboard info taken from CPU-Z and I did my best to guess on the slots):

1. Mobo: i850-w83267. Claims to support AGP 4X.   
Slot: I believe it is a 1.5v 4x AGP slot.

2. Mobo: Dell OptiPlex GX150. Claims to support AGP 4X.   
Slot: I believe it is an AGP Universal slot.

3. Mobo: P4M266A-8235. Claims to support AGP 4X.
Slot: I think it's an AGP Universal slot, but I can not really tell.

4. Mobo: Microstar MS-6330. Claims to support AGP 1X,2X,4X.
Slot: I think it's an AGP Universal slot.

I could not find the speed of the cards I'm planning on buying, so I'm hoping one of you could tell me. Also, if it is 4X I believe it should work in all of them, but if it is 1X 2X or 8X will they be able to work anyway?

Thanks much!

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: AGP Video Graphics Cards Knowledge Needed
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 03:13:04 AM »
Wikipedia:
AGP cards are backward and forward compatible within limits. 1.5 V-only keyed cards will not go into 3.3 V slots and vice versa, though "Universal" slots exist which accept either type of card. AGP Pro cards will not fit into standard slots, but standard AGP cards will work in a Pro slot. Some cards, like Nvidia's GeForce 6 series (except the 6200) or ATI's Radeon X800 series, only have keys for 1.5 V to prevent them from being installed in older mainboards without 1.5 V support. Some of the last modern cards with 3.3 V support were the Nvidia GeForce FX series (FX 5200, FX 5500, FX 5700, some FX 5800, FX 5900 and some FX 5950) and the ATI Radeon 9500/9700/9800(R350) (but not 9600/9800(R360)). Some Geforce 6200 cards will function with AGP 1.0 (3.3v) slots.

* Intel 850 is a AGP 1.5V Motherboard Supports only 1.5V signaling. Available speeds 1x, 2x, 4x.(from link listed below)

* Dell OptiPlex GX150: 4X AGP card can be supported (low profile cards for small form-factor and small desktop systems; full-height cards [up to 22.9 cm or 9 inches] for the small mini-tower system)

But would agree that looks to be a Universal

* Not sure about your third Motherboard.

* MSI motherboard:
It introduces a 66MHz, 32-bit channel for the graphics controller to directly access main memory and provides three levels of throughputs: 1x (266Mbps), 2x (533Mbps) and 4x (1.07Gbps).

Good document on AGP compatibility:
http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

stewie-Y

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 07:40:16 PM »
Using the link you gave me, I have determined that all 4 computers should be able to run the video cards.

Hopefully I'm right!

Thanks. :)

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 09:00:09 AM »
Good to hear and good luck LAN parties are always fun. Too bad Utah doesn't have the Kill Inc LAN parties.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein