Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Explorer window is running each time I log in  (Read 13595 times)

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Windows Explorer window is running each time I log in
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 05:42:20 AM »
One problem: they listed the contents of the "most likely" locations, and aside from the empty value there weren't any "incomplete" keys, and deleting the one "incomplete" key (which was empty and therefore wasn't going to be responsible for starting windows explorer in a specific folder) didn't resolve the problem.

We don't know that. He said he deleted the value and then logged on as another user. He needed to reboot first. And unless I'm missing something, that was the only HP entry.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 06:13:34 AM »
We don't know that.
Yes we do. a empty Run key doesn't do anything. that was all they deleted, an empty run key, therefore, what they deleted didn't resolve the problem, because there was no way that empty valued key was causing the issue. Additionally, since the only key they deleted was within the Local Machine hive, it's logical to conclude that the issue still persists in all accounts if it is still present in the one they tried.

He needed to reboot first.
the Run registry keys and any run= and load= lines in win.ini are parsed and executed when you log on. you don't need to reboot to apply changes. logging off and back into any account will cause the values in the Run key within the Local Machine Hive to take effect.

And unless I'm missing something, that was the only HP entry.

"HotKeysCmds"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\hkcmd.exe"
"DVDTray"="C:\Program Files\\HP DVD\\Umbrella\\DVDTray.exe"
"DVDBitSet"="C:\\Program Files\\HP DVD\\Umbrella\\DVDBitSet.exe /NOUI"

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 06:19:45 AM »
Ok
"HotKeysCmds"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\hkcmd.exe"
"DVDTray"="C:\Program Files\\HP DVD\\Umbrella\\DVDTray.exe"
"DVDBitSet"="C:\\Program Files\\HP DVD\\Umbrella\\DVDBitSet.exe /NOUI"
Oops  :P

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 02:54:24 PM »
We may never know, since OP is MiA... :o

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 02:57:51 PM »
Can't imagine why  :P

binghamjc

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2010, 05:27:08 PM »
    Wow, a lot of responses in the time I have been gone getting on with my life. I appreciate your efforts.

To jason2074, reply #5 - Interesting information contained there and it may be useful. But it will require some effort to dig the kernels out, if nothing else works I will read there more thoroughly and try some of the suggestions.

To Allan, reply #6 - As I said before I deleted it, and it mad no difference, but I did not reboot, so this time I rebooted. same result the explorer window still pops up.

On a side note, in looking for all entries containing the keyword hpqSRMon in the registry I see that this keyword is associated with the HP digital image monitor.

To Broni, reply #9 - This looks interesting, but it is five years old, you would think that HP would have fixed it by now. I looked for hpwuschd2.exe in the registry and do not find it in any of the run keys as described in this article.

To Allan, reply #10 - It is not in the start-up folder. However, HP digital image monitor is.

To Broni, reply #11 - Nice list. See answer to reply #9.

To BC_Programmer, reply #13 - I did not see anything HP related in the win.ini. I looked through some of the other 318 ini files on the system and did not find any thing that stood out blatantly. Some of the HP ini file are full of variables which I could not find defined anywhere so it makes it hard to say that the culprit is not in one of them.

To JJ 3000, reply #14 - I am not exactly sure what software you are referring to when you suggest checking the add/remove programs list. But, yes there are several HP programs in that list. I don't think that I want to remove any of them. As for trying a system restore, that seems a little drastic because there are several other pieces of software that I would have to reinstall if I did that. I have two HP devices and one Compaq device attached to this system, but have only installed software for the printer and the DVD R/W drive. I suspect that it is related to the install for the DVD, since I installed the printer software early on and don't recall seeing the explorer window immediately after doing that.
    JcB

Broni

Mastermind
      • Computer Help Forum
    « Reply #21 on: July 28, 2010, 05:29:16 PM »
    Go Start>Run (Start Search in Vista), type in:
    msconfig
    Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).

Click on Startup tab.
    Click Disable all
    IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

Click Services tab.
    Put checkmark in Hide all Microsoft services
    Click Disable all.

Click OK.
    Restart computer in Normal Mode.

NOTE. If you use different firewall, than Windows firewall, turn Windows firewall on, just for this test, since your regular firewall won't be running.
    If you use Windows firewall, you're fine.

Same problem?

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #22 on: July 29, 2010, 03:23:59 AM »
    I installed some software from for the HP optical drive which hung at the end of the installation during the restart process. Now every time I log in to any account on the computer a Windows Explorer window is open in the C:\Program Files\HP directory. Which makes me suspect that it is something that did not get cleaned up when the installation hung.

This is what I was referring to - the program that you were trying to install right before this started. Try uninstalling that program.

As for trying a system restore, that seems a little drastic because there are several other pieces of software that I would have to reinstall

System Restore creates a snapshot of your computer's configuration at a certain time. You probably have several restore points. Check it out at: Start-->All Programs-->Accessories-->System Tools-->System Restore.
    By default, every time you install new software, XP creates a restore point. So if your problem started right after you installed that program you should be able to restore to a time before the malfunction. It's much easier than having to manually edit the registry and it's usually the first thing I try when I have a buggy computer.
    During the restore process your settings will be the only things that are changed. No data will be lost. Your computer will have all of the programs and settings as of the restore date.
    Also, the system restore is completely reversible so you don't have to worry about screwing something up.

So, if i were you, I'd check add/remove to see if the program is listed there. If it is, I'd uninstall it. Then I would do a system restore to before the trouble install. After that, if the problem is resolved, I'd try installing that software again.
    « Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 03:35:00 AM by JJ 3000 »
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

binghamjc

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2010, 08:04:41 AM »
      One thing that I noticed yesterday. I ran the SysInternals Process Explorer while the offending explorer window was open (Process Explorer has the ability to show the command line used to start the processes that are running). It showed only one instance of Windows Explorer which looks like the instance that starts all the other user processes. There were of course no parameters on the command line.

Reply to JJ 3000 (re: reply #22)
      I appreciate the advice and I understand how system restore works. It just seems like using a 4lb sledge hammer to kill a fly. As I said there is other software that was installed since I installed the HP DVD software that I would need to reinstall once I had reverted to a pre-HP DVD save point. I will reserve this approach as a last resort.

Reply to Broni (Re: reply #21)
      I did mostly as you suggested using msconfig (thanks for the info on that I was not aware of it or had forgotten what it was capable of) and the offending window did not come up when I restarted the computer, then after restoring to normal start-up it returned. However, using msconfig seems like smashing files with a hammer when a fly swatter will do. So I used another program I have installed (WinPatrol) which can selectively disable entries on the start up lists and disabled the following four programs:
      PowerDVD DX – PDVDDXSRV.EXE (apparently comes installed on all Dell computers so it may not be the culprit)
      PowerDVD DX – PDVDDXSRV.EXE (installs with HP Printers and cameras, so it may not be the culprit either)
      PowerDVD DX – PDVDDXSRV.EXE (likely installed with the DVD software, it puts an icon in the system tray, is a prime suspect)
      HP DVD Utility – DVDBITSET.EXE (installed with the DVD software, is a prime suspect as well)
      With these four not running when I logged in the offending window does not display  :). Now I just need to determine the responsible program  :-\.
      JcB

binghamjc

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2010, 08:26:28 AM »
        Correction:
        I meant to say - the following four programs:
        PowerDVD DX – PDVDDXSRV.EXE (apparently comes installed on all Dell computers so it may not be the culprit)
        HP Digital Imaging – HPQTRA08.EXE (installs with HP Printers and cameras, so it may not be the culprit either)
        HP CD/DVD Tray Icon – DVDTRAY.EXE (likely installed with the DVD software, it puts an icon in the system tray, is a prime suspect)
        HP DVD Utility – DVDBITSET.EXE (installed with the DVD software, is a prime suspect as well)

I re-enabled the first two on the list logging off and back on after each enable and the offending window did not reappear. I then enabled DVDBITSET, logged off and back on, viola there it was the offending window. I then disabled DVDBITSET and enabled DVDTRAY, logged off and back on, the offending window is also displayed. So it looks like it may not actually be either of these two programs that is causing the problem, but something that they both use. What that could be is anybody's guess. It looks like I will have to reinstall that all that DVD software.

Thank you for all your help.
        JcB

binghamjc

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2010, 11:19:09 AM »
          Broni,

Regarding your suggestion about using msconfig, if I read it correctly it seems to indicate that I should restart the computer in Normal Startup mode after disabling all of the non-Microsoft services. That is not exactly what I did. I restarted the computer in Selective Startup mode then ran msconfig again after logging in, it had reverted to Normal Startup mode.  So I disabled a couple of things and Selective Startup mode was automatically selected. If I selected Normal Startup mode the items that I had disabled were re-enabled. So it appears that any time something is disabled the system automatically goes to Selective Startup mode and selecting Normal Startup mode re-enables anything that has been disabled.

BTW, I accessed the HP site and explained what I had learned and asked them for suggestions for resolving the problem. We will see if they come back with anything useful.  |V|
          JcB

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #26 on: July 29, 2010, 02:47:43 PM »
          I then enabled DVDBITSET, logged off and back on, viola there it was the offending window. I then disabled DVDBITSET and enabled DVDTRAY
          Neither of those two has to be a startup, so simply disable both and your problem is solved.

binghamjc

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2010, 04:18:56 PM »
            You are right, the system does not seem to be adversely affected by their absence in the startup list. And having fewer things in that list is a good thing.
            JcB

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            « Reply #28 on: July 29, 2010, 04:21:39 PM »
            Always :)

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #29 on: July 29, 2010, 07:31:37 PM »
            Msconfig was the way out all along... :)