Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: SEO (and it's personal)  (Read 3595 times)

yanng1

Topic Starter

Beginner

SEO (and it's personal)
    « on: July 27, 2010, 12:20:27 AM »

Hello CH forum, I've missed you. I'm back for more input from this great community.

My family fled Greece in 67 (long before I was born)- and started a restaurant chain who has done pretty well up here in Canada.  My father had a friend who put together nice little web 1.0 site back in 1997/98.  That friend passed away, years ago, and a squatter purchased the domain.

I have since become a web developer myself and decided to put forth a newer more exciting site for the family business.  Facebook connect and contests, all of that. 

The squatter stays above me in Google. I am using webmaster tools and seeing a modest bit of traffic, but not enough to push me past the squatters rank. 

I called him (whois lookup) and offered to purchase, he simply explained that he makes a few dollars a month on adwords and does not wish to sell.  That's life I suppose; but I would like to surpass this awful outdated site. The old content is embarrassing!

The only SEO tips I can find are
    • "get lots of legitimate links to your site" 
    • "Follow good design principals"
    • "keep up fresh content". 

I do all these things, he does none of them seriously NONE of them. How can a site which has not changed in a decade be accredited with freshness by The Spider? I can't imagine who is linking to his site, it has no valuable data... Unless you want to view and read about an old menu.

Any Input is greatly appreciated.

PS: the site resides at
    http://www.venicehouse.ca

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: SEO (and it's personal)
    « Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 04:26:19 AM »
    "get lots of legitimate links to your site" 
    That is the main one which Google looks at. If the old site has a lot of links to it then it will be higher.

Other tips:
    - good page titles
    - use h1 tags with good titles
    - use meta description in the head, Google now ignores the meta keywords

SEO is a never-ending business.

lucatony22

Re: SEO (and it's personal)
    « Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 03:35:33 PM »
    Also make sure to get backlinks from high PageRank sites. That's the key!

Cheers,
    Lucatony