Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: SATA Hard drive master/Slave  (Read 3750 times)

scott1

SATA Hard drive master/Slave
« on: August 05, 2010, 01:33:23 AM »
Have a SATA hard drive that went bad in desktop, want to use new SATA drive as master and old as slave so I can retrieve data from old drive how do I accomplish this. Have connected nut only shows one harddrive

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: SATA Hard drive master/Slave
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 04:52:00 AM »
If the drive cannot be recognized then the chances of file recovery are very slim unless you care to spend big dollars on professional assistance.
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 05:14:20 AM »
You must post exact status of old HD. If a stand alone booting of HD in CPU is still possible or not. To be able to run a Diagnostic Test.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 11:20:11 AM »
    The first point to address is that SATA drives do NOT exercise "master/slave priority pin settings like Ide  drives do. They are prioritized by virtue of what sata port you attach them to IE:pot "0","1" etc depending on the number of sata port the computer has available. I am not certain (as i don't use sata very much) but it may be necessary to enter the BIOS to enable the detection of more than one sata drive.Others may wish to comment on that aspect. Here is an article i found for you that explains sata rather well.truenorth
    http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-us&name=install-troubleshoot-sata-non-mac&vgnextoid=2b089d2c3c90e010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 11:42:42 AM »
    Have a SATA hard drive that went bad in desktop, want to use new SATA drive as master and old as slave so I can retrieve data from old drive how do I accomplish this. Have connected nut only shows one harddrive
    So, you have both drives connected to the motherboard? Please confirm this.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
    The first point to address is that SATA drives do NOT exercise "master/slave priority pin settings like Ide  drives do. They are prioritized by virtue of what sata port you attach them to IE:pot "0","1" etc depending on the number of sata port the computer has available. I am not certain (as i don't use sata very much) but it may be necessary to enter the BIOS to enable the detection of more than one sata drive.Others may wish to comment on that aspect. Here is an article i found for you that explains sata rather well.

truenorth

My comment on this aspect? 100% correct  :) Some motherboards even have SATA disabled entirely by default, or only have the SATA 0 Port enabled. And therefore when you go to use it, nothing is detected.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.