Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Power only stays on for 1 second  (Read 2509 times)

Broven

Power only stays on for 1 second
« on: August 11, 2010, 11:37:46 AM »
Hi everyone.

Here is the issue I'm having. We had a thunderstorm this morning and lost power for about a minute or two. I was using a surge suppressor, btw. Now my computer won't turn on. Well, actually, the lights on the power supply light up, and the fans start to spin, and then after a second or so, the lights on the PSU either go out completely or flash on and off intermittently. Strangely, one of (but not all of) the case fans continues to spin. Also, the power light on the computer (in the front) never comes on.
I tried unplugging it from the suppressor and running the power cord straight to the outlet with the same results.
I'm feeling reasonably confident that some piece of the system was fried, either the PSU or the mobo, and I'm wanting to replace it. Any suggestions on how I figure out which one it might be?

Thanks a ton for any help.

OPAS

Re: Power only stays on for 1 second
    « Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 12:58:49 PM »
    I have a Gateway Model T6534 (standard computer) and it gives me the same problem, which is "Powers on for 1/2 sec, then powers itself off by going to sleep with flashing power light" My suspicion was that it came from a 'C:/ disk full' condition, but am not sure as the C:/ disk was cleaned up and works properly on another Gateway. I exchanged the power supplies, but that did nothing to fix the problem, so it is not the PSU. Any help to solve this would keep an otherwise good computer out of the trash. As it stands, I am suspecting an interlock in the BIOS, but have no knowledge how to access it or fix it. Power does not stay on long enough to read the BIOS settings. Any tips how this interlock can be bypassed? I am willing to try even possibly destructive suggestions as the thing is worth only spare parts to me in its present state.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 03:32:16 PM »
      OPAS.Please make your own subject post,truenorth

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 04:01:30 PM »
      ...Here is the issue I'm having. We had a thunderstorm this morning and lost power for about a minute or two. I was using a surge suppressor, btw. Now my computer won't turn on. Well, actually, the lights on the power supply light up, and the fans start to spin, and then after a second or so, the lights on the PSU either go out completely or flash on and off intermittently. Strangely, one of (but not all of) the case fans continues to spin. Also, the power light on the computer (in the front) never comes on.
      I tried unplugging it from the suppressor and running the power cord straight to the outlet with the same results.
      I'm feeling reasonably confident that some piece of the system was fried, either the PSU or the mobo, and I'm wanting to replace it. Any suggestions on how I figure out which one it might be?...
      Power light on front of computer is +5V, so I would say PSU is shot.
      +12V doesn't sound too good either (fans are +12V).