Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Not Able to Enter Setup  (Read 1999 times)

tsmartin

Topic Starter

Not Able to Enter Setup
    « on: August 17, 2010, 06:43:38 PM »
    I have an old 286 DOS comp at work that the backup battery died on. As a result when I started it up today I got the message I had to run setup ... which I did. I have no record of the settings so I tried the Auto feature but it did nothing but hang. Next I tried to manually install the HD stats by referring to a list of possibilities when I pressed F1, I think. There was about 40 choices so I thought I'll just go through them one by one and hopefully hit the right one. I did this a couple of times since it wouldn't boot ... just told me I had to run setup again. Now when it boots after it does it's memory check I get a "Non system disc error" and to remove the disc and put the right disc in. I've tried various key combos trying to get back into "Setup" but no go.

I have since taken the HD out, got the numbers off it, went on line and got the specs for it. If I could just get back into Setup to install the correct specs it may work. I wouldn't mess with it normally but I have some old machines that I use this computer to "talk" to and would like to extend their usefulness awhile longer.

Thanks

TS

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Not Able to Enter Setup
    « Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 07:46:00 PM »
    Replace the CMOS battery...part #CR2032...available anywhere.
    Do this with everything unplugged.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

tsmartin

Topic Starter

Re: Not Able to Enter Setup
      « Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 05:23:49 PM »
      Thanks for the tip but there is no CMOS battery in this machine. It has 4 AA batteries as it's "back-up" power. And replacing them made no difference.
      Anyway .. I did solve the problem and for those that may encounter a similar problem may want to give this a try.
      Since I suspected the HD was causing the problem, and I figured I had nothing to loose, I turned the comp off and pulled the ribbon cable off the back of the HD.  I left the power connector hooked up.  I restarted and, as I expected, I got a HD failure error message. One of the corrective suggestions was to run set-up by pressing F2.  That's what I've been looking for. I went into set-up and changed the HD type to the one I got off the HD manufactures website. I also needed to change one of the floppy drive settings as well.
      I saved the settings and very carefully plugged the ribbon cable back into the HD.  I rebooted and everything came up as if nothing had happened. Now I have some breathing room while I get my older production machines up-graded to newer  controls.

TS