Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Disappearing DVD ROM  (Read 8562 times)

Noah

Disappearing DVD ROM
« on: June 19, 2004, 11:01:07 AM »
Whenever I put in a cd, it does nothing. I checked out my device manager, and it's listed "SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616." It also has a little exclamation point next to it, indicating a problem.

I'm on XP if that's any help.

Raptor

Re: Disappearing DVD ROM
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2004, 11:34:39 AM »
When you click on the exclamation point you should be taken to a menu where it states the problem.

Underneath the window where it has stated the problem there should be a button labeled 'Solve problem'

See if Windows XP can help you.

Make sure that your cables are connected properly.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2004, 11:35:27 AM by Raptor »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2004, 11:44:12 AM »
    Noah.....Is this something that suddenly started ......?
    you should be able to click on the exclamation point and troubleshoot the problem

let us know

dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2004, 12:33:38 PM »
    Is your DVD-ROM player still under warranty?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2004, 12:50:03 PM »
      Noah......No drivers.......thats odd......wonder where they went? Was anyone playing around with the machine or did a virus sneak in ........because drivers dont just disolve. You must have the DVD drive install disk. Or if you are certain there are no viruses present....you could use the SYSTEM RESTORE function of XP and restore to just before the cd - drive stopped working ......Hummmmm ......do you have 2 cd drives on your machine......If you dont you will have to d/l the drivers and install that way ........Is it possible to take the dvd drive out and put it in another pc to confirm that it is ok ............If it is then I would be looking for a virus......SO PUT A HOLD on the SYSTEM RESTORE untill you are certain.

let us know

dl65  ???
      « Last Edit: June 19, 2004, 12:50:55 PM by dl65 »
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

merlin

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2004, 02:23:24 PM »
      take the troubleshoot tour>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321641  and what mobo have got...and is this cdrom a copy of something?