Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help with Oracle Virtualbox  (Read 4916 times)

PC Maniac

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Help with Oracle Virtualbox
    « on: September 07, 2010, 09:52:22 AM »
    Hello to everyone out there. ;D

I seem to be having trouble with Oracle's virtualbox. When i first used it, i thought creating the virtual windows will make it work straight away, but i have now found out you need an iso image.

I've been trying to search for information on how to create an .iso or where i can get the Windows 7 image file but no luck at all.

Does anyone know where i can get the Windows 7 .iso image for virtualbox or how i can create one?

All help appreciated.

Matt
    I really really really really really really really love computers. Especially the ones that are fast lol. ;D ;D ;D

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    Re: Help with Oracle Virtualbox
    « Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 11:00:15 AM »
    Perhaps this is what you need: http://www.magiciso.com/index.htm

Some videos might also help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AjOR4H9njk

PC Maniac

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 11:28:40 AM »
      Cheers mate.

I have now just downloaded the program and used it and it seems to have helped my problem.

Thank you so much and i hope i get my virtual computer working in the futur.

The most loving(lol) user online

Matt ;D ;D ;D
      I really really really really really really really love computers. Especially the ones that are fast lol. ;D ;D ;D

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
      It is, unless I am very much mistaken, and I don't believe I am, not possible to legally download an iso image file of a Windows 7 install disk. However, you may be able to create an iso from your legally owned Windows 7 install DVD. However I am not sure if this would be legal unless you have the right licenses. In any case you can use a real, physical DVD or CD instead of an ISO file.

PC Maniac

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 12:25:03 PM »
        But i dont get this.  ???

Why does this program exist when there is no .iso image to be found online(except for xp and older) ????????????

You need an .iso image for it to work. I watched the video that soybean sent me and the guy said that he DOWNLOADED the .iso file.

So if there is one then would you ever so kindly find me a windows 7 .iso image?

When you do find one then please send me it. ;D;D;D

Thanks

Matt

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 12:39:44 PM »

(1) An ISO file is a disk image.
        (2) You don't need an ISO file to make Virtualbox work. A disk will do instead.
        (3) Downloading Microsoft Windows ISOs is piracy.
        (4) There are plenty of legal ISOs and disks available. Linux, for example.

Your name isn't really Bill, is it?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 06:11:01 PM »
        Your name isn't really Bill, is it?

::)
        your starting to get paranoid...  :P

When I first read this thread, I couldn't help but shudder at the mention of "Oracle". Biggest *censored* in the history of databases. Not as big as companies actually using it, though. But I managed to calm down when I realized that the OP was actually asking about VirtualBox, which only recently became Oracle's, so will be a far less *censored*-ey piece of software, at least for a while.

I seem to be having trouble with Oracle's virtualbox. When i first used it, i thought creating the virtual windows will make it work straight away, but i have now found out you need an iso image.

Of course you do- it's a virtual machine- you can't take a blank machine and put it together and have an OS magically, you need to install it.

I've been trying to search for information on how to create an .iso or where i can get the Windows 7 image file but no luck at all.
        Does anyone know where i can get the Windows 7 .iso image for virtualbox or how i can create one?
        ST answered this quite well. make a ISO from your Windows 7 disk. There is no "ISO for virtualbox" it's a virtual machine, and acts just like a normal machine. If it needed a special ISO then it would sort of fail at emulating an average PC, wouldn't it? Just your normal Win7 disk would work.

BUT: there may be a caveat: to my understanding, running windows in a VM counts as running it on another machine. Therefore you would need two licenses to run Windows in a VM as well as on the host OS:

One final area that's come under a lot of scrutiny--and, as it turns out, misguided interpretations--regards virtualization. With Windows Vista, Microsoft is finally addressing virtualization in the EULA. And it goes something like this:

Any version of Windows Vista can host virtual machines (VMs), whether in Microsoft's Virtual PC solution or a rival product like VMWare Workstation. However, only two retail version of Windows Vista are licensed for use as a guest OS in a VM: Windows Vista Business and Ultimate. (A third--non-retail--Vista version, Vista Enterprise, has different licensing terms, which I'll address in a bit.)

Let that one sink in for a second. You cannot install Windows Vista Home Basic or Home Premium in a virtual machine, at least from a legal standpoint. (There is nothing technical preventing you from doing so, of course.) And on a related note, each retail copy of Vista you purchase is only licensable for one install. If you install a copy of Windows Vista in a virtual machine and then activate it, you cannot install the same copy of Vista on a physical machine and reactivate it (unless you take advantage of the transfer rights mentioned above, of course). One license equals one installation.

So why "restrict" users like that? Well, as it turns out, there's no massive conspiracy. Currently, the majority of Microsoft's virtualization users fall into exactly two groups: business customers and enthusiasts. Business customers will want Vista Business and enthusiasts will use Vista Ultimate. Simple. And though pundits might like to complain about this apparently arbitrary decision, the reality is that very, very few people can ever come up with a legitimate reason to run, say, Vista Home Basic in a VM. And those that want to, can, if they don't mind violating the Vista EULA and not receiving support.

Windows Vista Enterprise is a special case. With that version of Vista, which will be made available only to volume license customers, users will be able to install a single licensed copy of Vista on one physical PC and up to four VMs, simultaneously. Those four VMs, however, must all be installed on the same Vista Enterprise-based PC, and they must be used by the same user. "If customers need multiple virtual machines they should use Vista Enterprise," Microsoft's Scott Woodgate told me. "The intention is to be generous and enable whatever scenarios are customers may need." Sounds like a customer benefit to me.
        I'm not sure how different it is with Win7, but I have no reason to doubt they have changed the "one license=one install" rule for virtualization.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

PC Maniac

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 09:52:56 AM »
          So if you don't need a .iso image file then how can you do it?

Instructions will be perfect. :)

Thanks,

Matt

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 11:05:21 AM »
          So if you don't need a .iso image file then how can you do it?

You have been told already.

Instructions will be perfect. :)

Since you have not confirmed that you have the appropriate licenses, (retail or OEM does not qualify) we cannot advise you. The web is full of stuff about this.

PC Maniac

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 04:08:01 PM »
            Ok. Sorry about that. I've already uninstalled oracles virtual box and i can't be bothered reinstalling it because i just get confused with it.

Bat thank you to evryone who has given me information on it.

Thanks again! ;D ;D ;D

Matt