Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: partitioning and cloning problems  (Read 3587 times)

yesterday

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    partitioning and cloning problems
    « on: September 18, 2010, 06:45:20 AM »
    This was my situation
    Two hard drives
    1) windows installation and programme files (c) 500gb
    2) Music and videos (d) 250gb

The second hard drive started to become full, so I thought since the os wasn't taking much space, I would switch the os and programme files onto the second hard drive and then move the music of videos onto the 1st bigger hard drive.

This is what I have done so far.
    1)Made a partition on hard drive 1 (G) and copied all user files from hard drive 2 into that new partition.
    2)Formatted hard drive 2
    3)Cloned C drive onto hard drive 2 using EASEUS
    4)Thinking job was done I thought I could boot up of the clone and begin to erase the source of the clone. But windows would't let me boot up of the clone and told me to insert the installation disk and run the repair programme. I did this.
    5)I was able to boot and login, but when I am logging in I get the message 'windows is preparing your desktop' and then after that when it logins I am greeted with a black screen with nothing on it. I can only bring up task manager nothing else.
    6) I am able to boot up fine when I plug the original C drive back in but when I take that out and use the clone I get the black screen problems.

I don't now what I am doing wrong, from bios I have chosen the new clone to boot up but nothing. Also previously I could not format the C drive, when I was trying to get rid of the original it told me it was in use after changing the properties of the clone drive making that the primary boot device I can now format, should I wish the C drive which shows that it is not using the C drive. What is going on?

Thanks for any help?

yesterday

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      Re: partitioning and cloning problems
      « Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 11:01:20 AM »
      Solved
      I just had to rename the drives and make sure that the new clone was called C