Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: this place is dead  (Read 26053 times)

computeruler

Topic Starter

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
this place is dead
« on: September 23, 2010, 07:19:34 PM »
*cricket*

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: this place is dead
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 07:54:47 PM »

???
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 09:10:40 PM »
Yes, it is  :o

computeruler

Topic Starter

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 01:10:23 PM »
Or maybe I'm just used to bigger forums. 

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 04:34:26 PM »
Or maybe I'm just used to bigger forums. 

Then spend your time there...
Whatever floats your boat...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Dead Reckon

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 11:58:35 AM »
Welcome to ComputerHope, the Biggest Little Forum this side of the interweb!

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 12:27:41 PM »
I'd be open to suggestions from Computeruler or anyone else on making the Biggest Little Forum more active. I do plan on merging the site more with the forums, but it's down the road a little. Want to make sure everything with 2.0 is working properly.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Dead Reckon

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 01:45:34 PM »
I didn't mean that as an insult, I meant it as a complement, most forums are hostile environments which you enter very carefully. As carefully as you would carry yourself through a minefield, not CH though.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 01:54:20 PM »
I'm sure it wasn't taken as an insult. I haven't known Nathan that long, but it's been my experience that he is rarely, if ever, sarcastic (though patio and I are working on correcting that :) ).

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 02:49:57 PM »
Allan was right, didn't take it as an insult and very rarely sarcastic. :)
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 05:05:07 PM »
Actually this is the most active forum I'm a member of.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 05:57:07 PM »
This is totally IMHO, so please don't kill me, if you have different point of view.
Because, of my nature, if I have something to say, I'll say it without wrapping it in a candy paper....

First, the facts.
If you look at board's statistics, basically all numbers have been falling for a while.
It must be some reason for it.

As probably some of you noticed, I've been much less active on this board for a while.
One of the main reasons....I'm sick and tired of many, many topics, which started as computer problem question and by a second page, it already became a discussion about grandma's underwear.
It's totally unprofessional and I don't even see anyone trying to curb those trends.
I've also seen some rude replies and some others, where just because someone is a computer newbie, he/she becomes a target for jokes, or rudeness.

Secondly, since evilfantasy practically left, the malware forum looks like a joke.
There are couple of guys there, who try to do what they can and a whole bunch of other people, who keep posting replies there, but they have no single clue, what they're talking about.
Replying in malware forum is not a reading from a crystal ball, but a professional activity.
I've never seen any other forum, I'm familiar with, where anyone, aside from malware staff is allowed to post replies.
It's very irresponsible and often dangerous to allow people, who know nothing about malware, to reply there.

Just some thoughts....

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 06:25:53 PM »
Just some thoughts....

Well observed thoughts Mastermind Broni 8)

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 11:56:59 PM »
Definitely respect your opinion and some very good points were brought up. The going off topic has always seemed to be an issue on Computer Hope that we continue to struggle with in all places of the forum, I've tried my best in getting rid of trouble makers, but probably boils down to me simply having to spend even more time reading each post. As I hope you've noticed I've been spending more time in the forums, although it has recently been for updating the forum, I'm going to make a real effort in contributing more to the posts myself especially if I can complete my system for having all the mail Computer Hope gets directed to the forum, so I only have one place to focus on instead of being bounced around from mail to forum to chat.

Each of the moderators and good contributors have been a fantastic help to the forum and to me, since one person can really only do so much. I'm extremely grateful for that, unfortunately there is going to be an endless supply though of those members who don't contribute well or just want to cause havoc. I'm hoping with the new 2.0 update and the warning system the moderators and I can clean up the forum some more.
-Albert Einstein

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 05:50:10 AM »
If I may add my 2 cents.... I happen to agree with Broni to a great extent. Especially about topics going off point (my default setting is generally "bottom line"). The problem, however, is that forums such as this are not only support forums but also communities, as is evidenced by the longevity of many of the members. We learned the hard way at Tweaks that if you start to inhibit "off topic" chatter you run the risk of alienating otherwise reliable, desirable, and valuable members. There's a fine line. I'm as guilty as anyone of trying to inject some humor into support threads. I think Nathan has the right idea - identify the trouble makers - those who are here ONLY to troll, spam, or be smart alecs - versus those longtime contributing members who are here primarily to provide support but who also enjoy a little side chatter, jesting, and community spirit.

I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts on that Broni (and Nathan AND other respected CH contributors).