Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: slaving a harddrive to another  (Read 2835 times)

alen

Topic Starter

Rookie

slaving a harddrive to another
    « on: September 30, 2010, 03:20:30 AM »
    I wanted to ask what I need to do to slave one harddrive to another so I can copy data between them?  Do I need to change anything in the BIOS?  Both are SATA drives.  They're both formatted with XP pro, but I know I only need the operating system on one of them.  Does it matter which cable goes to which one and does it matter which cable plugs into which of the two sata plugs on the motherboard?  Do I need to do anything with the jumpers?

Thanks.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Computer Hope
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: slaving a harddrive to another
    « Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 01:18:38 AM »
    Broni, don't think that link would work for him since he's doing SATA and the link is for PATA. SATA drives are not like PATA (IDE/EIDE) drives, so there is not a "slave" drive when it comes to a SATA drive, they all plug directly into the host adapter.

Do I need to change anything in the BIOS?

- No the BIOS will automatically detect SATA drives.

Both are SATA drives.  They're both formatted with XP pro, but I know I only need the operating system on one of them.  Does it matter which cable goes to which one and does it matter which cable plugs into which of the two sata plugs on the motherboard? 

- Plug the SATA drive you want to have with Windows (primary) in the first connection.

Do I need to do anything with the jumpers?

- No SATA jumpers are usually only used for factory settings.

* PS moving this to hardware since it's not network related.
    Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    -Albert Einstein

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 01:41:05 PM »
    ...Both are SATA drives.  They're both formatted with XP pro, but I know I only need the operating system on one of them.../quote]
    Set Boot Order in BIOS (CMOS Setup).

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 06:14:07 PM »
    Broni, don't think that link would work for him since he's doing SATA and the link is for PATA. SATA drives are not like PATA (IDE/EIDE) drives, so there is not a "slave" drive when it comes to a SATA drive, they all plug directly into the host adapter.
    :)