Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: A browser security-related feature I have not seen before now  (Read 5286 times)

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
I have a Lowe's credit card and went to their website to logon to my credit account, using Chrome.  I saw this in the browser address box:

Clicking on the small red x displays this:

I don't have a question about it except perhaps to ask whether any of you have seen this?  It's appears to be a legitimate security notice to the user and is nothing to be overly concerned about.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: A browser security-related feature I have not seen before now
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 03:40:44 PM »
I've had a few requests in e-mail and on the phone about this today and duplicated it so it definitely is legit. Something apparently just implemented into Google Chrome. Personally I wouldn't of implemented it the way they did, since it seems as if it's causing more confusion than good. All the pages with this I've seen have been secure, just that elements (e.g. pictures) are not sent secure to help with load time. Personally would of went with Green for ok, like they did, yellow for pages that just have elements that are not sent securely, but allow data to be still transmitted securely, and then red like your example when it really is a security threat.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 12:36:34 PM »
It's a feature of Chrome and has been around for a while. I've pretty sure I've noticed it doing that for a month at the very least. That little security box also pops up anytime you click on the little icon next to an address in the bar.

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 01:50:24 PM »
Well, the red x on the icon does not with appear with all financial websites.  For example, if I logon to my banking website, the lock icon is next to the address in the web address box but it does not have a red x on it.  If I click on the lock icon, I get a popup box  similar to one in my previous post but all three sections (Identity, Connection, and View history) of that Security Information popup panel have a green box, with a check inside, under them.   

With the panel that appeared from Lowe's (in my previous post), the Connection section warns that "this page includes other resources which are not secure".  So, that's what caused the red x to appear on the lock icon with the Lowes website.  This explains why I haven't see it before; I had not used Chrome to logon to the Lowes account before that instance.

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 12:18:21 PM »
Yeah, like Nathan said, there may be some part(s) of the page not secure, but things that should effect the security of your data. I've seen it a couple times, although not within the last couple of weeks, but I haven't been on anything that's supposed to be secure.

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 12:22:39 PM »
I believe you meant:
Yeah, like Nathan said, there may be some part(s) of the page not secure, but things nothing that should effect the security of your data.

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 12:33:17 PM »
It's almost 2am and I'm getting sleepy.  ;D

Actually, I meant things that shouldn't effect it....