Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

Should forum Thanked be removed?

Yes - Remove Thanked
6 (33.3%)
No - Keep Thanked
12 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: November 14, 2010, 11:19:52 PM

Author Topic: Poll: Remove the forum Thanked (Karma)?  (Read 8312 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Poll: Remove the forum Thanked (Karma)?
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2010, 08:48:25 AM »
Again, not seeing where the Thanks come from is a major shortcoming, IMO.

Personally, I don't see it.

Why is it important to know where thanks are coming from? What relevance does it have at all? On one vBulletin forum I was a frequent visitor too there was a mechanism whereby the bottom of a post showed all the users who thanked the poster for that post; I found that annoying, to be honest. Basically, it transforms thanks into a voting system for each post where people can either choose to vote for the post (and it's poster) or not vote at all. If you are a helper on the forum, thanks, and post count, quickly becomes largely irrelevant, regardless of wether who thanked who is displayed, and at that point it becomes additional clutter.

EDIT: also, if people can see who thanked them, they will also see when they weren't thanked, and some people might take the initiative to fish for "votes"- "I noticed you didn't thank me, if I helped you, please do" type stuff.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2010, 09:10:16 AM »
What I didn't want to do was get into a debate - and I'm sure that isn't the intent of the thread. Still, I'd like to further explain why I like the idea of a quantified measure of helpfulness if I may - without suggesting that everyone's points aren't equally valid.

Quite simply, it helps the poster determine whose input has been deemed reliable and helpful in the past. The fact is that there are a lot of people on all help forums who have been long time members but who are not strong technically. Unfortunately, in some cases that does not stop them from offering technical advice - and sometimes that advice can be harmful if followed. And of course many posters looking for help are NOT technical and will take advice from whomever offers it. If they can see that a large number of prior posters have found someone's input helpful and reliable in the past, why isn't that something that should be taken into account? I'm not suggesting that these numbers in any way mean someone is "better" than someone else, only that their input has been dependable over a period of time. Nor does it mean that the advice from someone with few "thanks" will be wrong and the advice from someone with a lot will be right - it's merely an indicator of historical performance - but an indicator that can be taken into account when evaluating whether or not to follow posted advice.

Okay, I'm done ;D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 06:03:04 AM by Allan »

kingdaddyrabbit

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 10:07:43 PM »
 I'm new here (and to the pc and prog world) as you can tell. And I'm not going to vote for that reason. But if i may, since basically it's me and those like me that I think you're mostly  referring to.
At first I either didn't see the "Thanked" option or was more interested in posts>then title, to give it any attention.  I looked at the # of posts to tell me how many times someones been around the block, however it can be misleading because high experience could have just joined or not be very active, then i considered their title, which I now know everyone in that post bracket has. If there were a "joined" or "since" (not sense ha ha!) date it could be more helpful to members in showing the -time vs activity- involvement in helping others with their knowledge and experiences, and of keeping the site healthy.
it helps the poster determine whose input has been deemed reliable and helpful in the past. If they can see that a large number of prior posters have found someones input helpful and reliable in the past, why isn't that something that should be taken into account? I'm not suggesting that these numbers in any way mean someone is "better" than someone else, only that their input has been dependable over a period of time. Nor does it mean that the advice from someone with few "thanks" will be wrong and the advice from someone with a lot will be right - it's merely an indicator of historical performance - but an indicator that can be taken into account when evaluating whether or not to follow posted advice.
I'm hoping I'm not so abnormal that I would be so different from others. Because I don't consider a thank you as necessarily being reliable, helpful yes. And so far I've only seen only low thanks %-ages. Look! 9,300 posts but only 600 times helpful or reliable? Input dependable or dependable input? I don't think a thanked count should be used a an indicator.
Here's why:
 It was only after some replies to my 1st and only post that I recognized there was a thanked. My thought was it was merely a way of thanking someone for replying to my post, which i did, even tho I may not have liked the reply or felt it did nothing to help resolve my questions or issue. I was thankfull that someone took the time to read and reply. Because after all, this is what's important, people getting involved and at least trying to help others, even if it's unsuccessful but not harmful. So why not thank anyone that replies, and Authors for that matter, for at least being here, and taking part?  With the current option there's no way of saying how thankfull you are, what you're thanking for, or if you're participation actually helped the solving of the thread.  Even if there was a way to only acknowledge someone if they had a direct bearing on a resolve, imo it would fall short in the results because the Author would in most cases have to come back to acknowledge the positive. Only after reading this thread did I realize the importance of the effect the + feedback  may have on the unknowing.
  A Genius with 13,000 posts but is only thanked 500'n sumpthin times? A mastermind with 16,000 posts and thanked 140sumpthin times? I don't believe the "thanked" option is really working as intended.
My feeble opinion - Posts/Joined/Title 
BTW! Thanks (oh yeah-->for reading this).
Did I win anything? I certainly hope not!   ;)

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
  • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2010, 03:55:25 PM »
It has been 30 days and thank you everyone who has participated in this poll. As can be seen by the results the majority seem to be in favor of keeping the thanked count, however, for those who don't like it maybe we can come up with some sort of compromise that everyone would like.

"The Thanks feature is meaningless in this forum because it does not show who left the Thanks and in what topics.  I'd like to see it either discontinued or changed to show who left Thanks."

There are some thanked / karma mods out there that can show who has given the thanks, allow comments on the thanks, etc.. However, the problem with this approach I would imagine is that all current thanks would be lost, which I'm sure would upset some users. However, it is something we can think about. Also, I would imagine with most people who are against the thanked system that implementing a new system wouldn't change how they feel about it.

I'll leave this thread sticky for a bit longer to allow any further discussions, compromises, or any other thoughts be discussed.

Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

disladders

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 10:32:34 AM »
    I am also new here so I will not vote.  But I ususally like to see it when I am participating in a forum.

Thanks for giving us the vote.

overthehill

Apprentice

• Keep Canada beautiful. Swallow your beer cans.
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 11:55:39 AM »
    Quite simply, it helps the poster determine whose input has been deemed reliable and helpful in the past. The fact is that there are a lot of people on all help forums who have been long time members but who are not strong technically. Unfortunately, in some cases that does not stop them from offering technical advice - and sometimes that advice can be harmful if followed. And of course many posters looking for help are NOT technical and will take advice from whomever offers it. If they can see that a large number of prior posters have found someone's input helpful and reliable in the past, why isn't that something that should be taken into account? I'm not suggesting that these numbers in any way mean someone is "better" than someone else, only that their input has been dependable over a period of time. Nor does it mean that the advice from someone with few "thanks" will be wrong and the advice from someone with a lot will be right - it's merely an indicator of historical performance - but an indicator that can be taken into account when evaluating whether or not to follow posted advice.

Okay, I'm done ;D
    I can't help but agree with Allan. This poll has been out there for some time now and the majority have voted to keep the thank count.
    Okay, I'm done too. ;D