Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

What is your favorite Windows 7 feature?

Author Topic: November Poll: What is your favorite Windows 7 feature?  (Read 13162 times)

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
  • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
November Poll: What is your favorite Windows 7 feature?
« on: November 01, 2010, 09:18:57 AM »
For the month of November Soybean suggested this poll. Put in your vote for what Microsoft Windows 7 feature is your favorite feature or if your favorite feature is not listed feel free to vote other and let us know what your favorite feature is.

All past monthly polls and results can also be found on the Computer Hope poll page.

Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: November Poll: What is your favorite Windows 7 feature?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 04:16:46 PM »
Well, I'll post to try to get the ball rolling here, especially I suggested this poll.  :D  I voted Snap.  Pin is a close second choice.  I'm a little puzzled about Peek; I don't see much point in it.  Why peek at our desktop?  Don't we already know what it looks like? 

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 04:31:25 PM »
Snap would be my 1st choice...
However i really like how they've broken out Control Panel into the sub groups...
Cornfusing at first...but overall it makes more sense...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 04:33:13 PM »
It's an operating system. It works. That's my favorite feature ;)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 04:45:28 PM »
Well, I'll post to try to get the ball rolling here, especially I suggested this poll.  :D  I voted Snap.  Pin is a close second choice.  I'm a little puzzled about Peek; I don't see much point in it.  Why peek at our desktop?  Don't we already know what it looks like?
You realize Peek is more then just the "Show desktop" in the lower right? It's also when you hover over a thumbnail for a taskbar icon, which shows you only that one window and "glassifies" all the others.

.. Oh wait, I think that's "flip" or something. Anyway, the "view desktop" peek button can be useful if you want to see what your sidebar widgets are displaying (if you use the sidebar, of course). or if you want to see what files on on your desktop. It can be faster then Windows Key+D, look at the desktop, and then try to reopen the windows you had open before. There are shortcuts (something like Windows Key+M and Windows Key+Shift+M that could be used to minimize and then restore windows, but the peek button is a lot more accessible.

In any case, Although it's hard to pick a "favourite" (especially since my favourite feature, the search bar in the start menu, was introduced with vista, and so isn't really a new win 7 feature) one thing I like is that they finally sorta-fixed an issue they introduced with windows 95; with win 3.1, you could drag a file from File Manager over the minimized Word Icon, or other program, and then it would open it; however, with win95 they couldn't do this; The reasons are pretty technical.

Now, with win7, though, you can almost; you can drag, say, a word document onto the minimized wordpad icon, and then drop (pin) it onto the wordpad icon; where it becomes pinned on it's jumplist, at which point you can now choose it from that menu. It's a bit roundabout but if you're quick or in a rush it can be faster then the "old" method of hovering over the taskbar button until the program opens and then dropping the file into the now activated window. I don't actually do this, or even use this functionality, it's just nice to know that they are working on it.

My favourite new win7 feature isn't new at all; but rather improved from vista. Now thumbnail previews display more then one window preview; this is immensely helpful to me because I often have a number of the same program open and their titlebar's don't necessarily reflect their contents or what I was doing, so right-click would be pretty much searching blind. With the improved multi-thumbnail feature It's easier to find. (It would be nice if the size was adjustable).

I voted, however, for Windows Search. Although I'm sure we are well aware it's not necessarily new in Windows 7 (it wasn't new in Vista either, it was just made a lot more accessible) But the improvements over Vista's implementation, while minor, are pretty good IMO; the main one has to do with the start menu, since it now uses the entire start menu Window area for search results, rather then the same area that is normally occupied by the all programs folders.

It's an operating system. It works. That's my favorite feature ;)

Did windows Vista,XP, 2000, 98SE, etc not work for you then? Is this "OS working" feature new to you with windows 7?  :P
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 04:52:24 PM »
Did windows Vista,XP, 2000, 98SE, etc not work for you then? Is this "OS working" feature new to you with windows 7?  :P
I've been satisfied with every version of Windows. That's my point - from my perspective it's just an OS. As long as it does what it's supposed to do I'm happy.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 04:55:34 PM »
Can't believe you picked search as your favorite feature...

JJ 3000

Egghead
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 05:03:42 PM »
I've been satisfied with every version of Windows.

Even Millennium Edition?
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 05:08:05 PM »
 :P

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 06:16:11 PM »
I've been satisfied with every version of Windows. That's my point - from my perspective it's just an OS. As long as it does what it's supposed to do I'm happy.

Originally, an Operating System was the base level system on which everything else would be built. IBM ROM BASIC is a good example of this; generally, you can't really do anything particularly useful with the interpreter on it's own, but if you write BASIC programs you can create file managers and small phone number database programs. File management via the BASIC functions would be time consuming and prone to errors, as well.

Then you have DOS, which, as the name implies, is not just an Operating System, but a Disk Operating System. This brings along with it several implied features, such as the ability to move, copy, rename, and generally manipulate files directly from the OS, whereas many previous operating systems for the PC would require separate programs to perform those features. This "base functionality" was of course also present in UNIX, with the various file manipulation commands.

As MS-DOS grew, so too did it's scope. Originally only a command shell for executing other programs with some basic file management capabilities, it expanded to include a vast array of different built-in programs, to do such varied tasks as edit text documents (using edit) to performing memory user analysis (MemMaker). In this time there also sprouted the Windows Shell, which at the time was nothing more then a desktop environment that ran atop DOS itself, and graphically represented many of the functions that could also be done in DOS; it also made writing programs easier, somewhat; the API is and was huge, but at the same time, learning it meant you didn't have to write all sorts of drivers for all the different printers, display devices, and other stuff  your program would use; Windows would handle the "translation".

As Windows matured, so too did the toolset. With the consumer switch to the Windows NT codebase starting with Windows XP, many people found they could no longer apply the various "tricks" they learned with 9x and earlier with it, since it was no longer merely a shell running atop DOS. Things like fdisk were replaced by equivalents that ran within windows; Nobody can possibly claim that Disk Management is a step backwards from fdisk, for example; the former required you to reboot your machine into what for all intents and purposes was a totally different OS (MS-DOS) run fdisk, and perform any number of actions using text-based prompts, then reboot again. Now, partitioning drives  other then the system partition no longer requires a reboot at all. Improvements all across the board have incrementally added themselves to the Windows Operating System; saying "my favourite feature is that it works" is pretty ridiculous, since that's sort of an implied trait. This thread clearly was started in the interest of garnering discussion on the various new features that windows 7 has added to the OS; Windows 7 has added more visible features then almost any other incarnation of Windows for quite some time; a lot of these revolve around Aero and window management, which has been a sore point among a lot of windows users.

Basically, assuming that an Operating System has to only "work" to do it's job is rather minimalistic; Take a standard DOS 3.1 installation. You can copy files, you can move files, you can rename files, you can create folders, you can delete folders, you can edit files using a line editor.

However, if you want to edit a text file using a standard Word processor type display (whereby you can see and navigate through larger chunks of text) you would need to buy a third party program or find a free alternative, the latter of which was not as easy as it is today.

This highlights something, though. What we have had since windows 3.1; The standard Windows Editbox.

The otherwise simple EditBox I am typing in, for example, comes free with Windows. All Programs can use and reuse this component; the thing is, what this component does- edit text - is something that you could expect to shell out a good deal of money to do with your old DOS PC (DOS 6 and later are exempt, since they come with EDIT, of course). What this also meant was that any program that needed the user to input text would often do so in the form of a standard prompt, whereby the user could only edit a line of input until they press enter, and after that it is essentially "locked in". Go ahead and do a copy con filename.txt and see how powerful that editing ability is.

More full-featured programs would implement Editboxes on their own; Microsoft Works, WordPerfect, Word for DOS, etc all present Editboxes in dialogs and so forth. However, there is something important of note here; the editbox as implemented by one application was unlikely to act and behave like one in another; Cut could be Shift-Delete in one, and Control-X in another; there was really no way to tell. Additionally, the editbox was essentially "sealed" in that nobody else could leverage the abilities of the editor for their own purposes.

In this sense, Windows is more then an Operating System, It's a Rich Desktop Environment; this is truly demonstrated since it has a Software Development Kit, it's own set of Rich APIs, and innumerable reusable components that behave the same regardless of what program is using them. This is something we have all come to take for granted; the fact that an EditBox in one program will almost always act the same as editboxes elsewhere. a Command Button in one program will behave similarly to a command button in another program, because they are, by definition, the same button. Just by typing into this textbox, I am leveraging any number of otherwise invisible Operating System features; to discard these features as merely extraneous fluff on the basis that all you need is the "Operating System" is to express ones ignorance on exactly how much of this fluff we all depend on every single time we use the computer. When was the last time, for example, we needed to edit our config.sys and autoexec.bat file in order to install drivers? Not for quite some time, since windows now essentially does it automatically for us; and in those cases it doesn't, you run an installer and your done. You don't need to worry about IRQ's or DMAs, we no longer need to flip jumpers and DIP switches around to manually configure our add on hardware; this is because the Operating System does it. However, one could easily presuppose that such functionality is quite outside the scope of an Operating System (DOS doesn't use it, and it's an Operating System) and therefore it's useless fluff. We should discard this fluff, since it's not truly part of the operating System. This is the sort of implication one makes by making blanket statements about how we shouldn't really even be worrying about new features in Windows since it's "just an OS". The Operating System is still the single most important piece of software on a PC; it dictates what you can and cannot run, and it essentially determines how you interact with those programs you do (with the aforementioned predefined classes). The fact  that almost all Windows' Windows have the same management functions (close, minimize, maximize, restore, etc) is a testament to the fact that the Operating System and the programs you run are not separate entities, they work together. If your Operating System is slow or badly written, so to will the programs you run on it.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 05:47:36 AM »
I've used every version of Windows except ME

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 01:15:59 PM »

But that's the best one!  ;D

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 02:32:21 PM »

Not missing much. Windows ME: Malfunctional Edition

Think of it as a version of Windows 98 they tried to improve upon but failed horribly.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 10:34:20 AM »
Some videos on Windows 7 features:

Peek: http://res1.windows.microsoft.com/resbox/en/Windows%207/main/7/6/76461cef-c1f1-4a46-892e-e678a1843c8b/76461cef-c1f1-4a46-892e-e678a1843c8b.wmv

Snap: http://res1.windows.microsoft.com/resbox/en/Windows%207/main/e/4/e4c833b7-b535-44b5-9a62-402b1a8003aa/e4c833b7-b535-44b5-9a62-402b1a8003aa.wmv
NOTE: One point the video does not mention is how the Snap actions can be reversed. If you dragged a window to a side of your screen to make it fill half of your monitor screen, double-clicking on the title bar will return that window to its previous size.  If you dragged a border of a window to the top or bottom of your screen to make it use the full vertical length of your screen, dragging the border back away from the top or bottom will reverse that action.

Shake: http://res2.windows.microsoft.com/resbox/en/Windows%207/main/b/1/b15fdf48-2969-405f-95ed-d397d333d904/b15fdf48-2969-405f-95ed-d397d333d904.wmv

And, here's a very good reference on Windows 7 taskbar, which is quite different from Windows XP and has some very nice features: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd378460%28VS.85%29.aspx

michaewlewis

Intermediate
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 01:19:40 PM »
I vote for the first four. I use all of them constantly. Literally, constantly. It's like an obsession.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 09:40:14 AM »
More comments on Win 7 features:

Paint and WordPad have the ribbon-type menu bar that was introduced with Office 2007. 

WordPad can open Word files, including the .docx format of Word 2007/2010.

Calculator is enhanced with more views. New Views are Programmer and Statistics.

Gadgets can be added by right-clicking on the desktop and selecting Gadgets. 

When viewing a folder with Windows Explorer, adding a new folder is a one-click action.  Explorer has a button named New Folder on the menu bar.  Just click it and type the name of the new folder.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 04:26:54 PM »
Calculator is enhanced with more views. New Views are Programmer and Statistics.
As many changes as there were to calc, the biggest change in that applet cam with Windows 2000. (of course the changes were not in the UI so they were essentially "invisible".

Cityscape

Adviser

• Running Debian 8, Linux Mint and Windows 10.
    • Yes
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 10:47:06 PM »
I voted Windows XP Mode as my favorite feature. It allows me to play my old games that didn't work with Vista (I'd probably rather use Vista if if it wasn't for XP mode).

Although I rarely use Windows 7, I dislike or hate a lot of it's features. Like the one button on the taskbar for multiple Windows of the same program is so inefficient for many people. It makes me glad that I use Ubuntu Linux 10.10 (although I'm really excited about the new stuff coming in 11.04). ;)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2010, 11:07:40 PM »
Like the one button on the taskbar for multiple Windows of the same program is so inefficient for many people.

That was introduced with Windows XP.

And it can be disabled anyway.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2010, 07:16:47 PM »
I dislike or hate a lot of it's features. Like the one button on the taskbar for multiple Windows of the same program is so inefficient for many people.
You mean the thumbnail images that appear when a program is open?  How is it "inefficient for many people"?  I see no inefficiency whatsoever in that feature.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2010, 06:05:23 AM »
Like the one button on the taskbar for multiple Windows of the same program is so inefficient for many people.
Just uncheck "group similar tasbar buttons" to disable.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2010, 08:59:19 AM »
Just uncheck "group similar tasbar buttons" to disable.
That applies to Vista, not to Win 7.  In Win 7, "Never combine" can be selected from the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties panel.  I can't imagine why anyone would want to use the setting though, since it causes taskbar buttons to quickly consume lots of space on the taskbar.

Anyway, still not clear exactly what OP means; no reply to my last post.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2010, 09:10:02 AM »
Sorry - I'm on a Vista laptop at the moment. Should have walked inside to a 7 system before posting that.

Ben Seclawney

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2010, 04:05:07 PM »
 ???
I enjoy the new library features.

I miss the old XP search format though :(

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2010, 07:37:54 PM »
Library sucks....and is worthless for anyone with decent file management skills...
All it does is add overhead and waste disk space...

NOTE: This is strictly opinion and should in no way be misconstrued as a criticism of MS...their employees and developers up to and including the head janitor in Redmond...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2010, 07:56:47 PM »
All it does is add overhead and waste disk space...

What? It does neither.

Well, ok, that's not true, Libraries are implemented via Windows Search so there might be some overhead from that, but it doesn't use any additional disk space.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2010, 08:22:18 AM »
Libraries seem quite useful, especially after doing some reading about them.  Here's a non-technical explanation of them: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/features/libraries.aspx.  And this: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Working-with-libraries

For a very technical description, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd861346.aspx.  You need to be a programmer to fully understand this article, but non-programmers can still glean some insight from it. 

pnf2010

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2010, 10:26:58 AM »
I also put snap, as this is saving me a lot of time when I view two applications at the same time    ;)

soybean

Genius
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2010, 07:37:26 AM »
I just came across this: Windows 7 Tip: The Windows Key Is Actually Useful Now, With Tons of Hotkey Shortcuts.  Take a look at these Windows Key shortcuts. I think you'll like them.

embatep

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2010, 02:34:35 PM »
I vote for the first four also. I use them on a regular basis.
cheers

soybean

Genius
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2010, 01:03:01 PM »
One feature of the taskbar that has not been mentioned is that taskbar buttons can be rearranged by dragging them with the mouse. 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2010, 02:10:34 PM »
One feature of the taskbar that has not been mentioned is that taskbar buttons can be rearranged by dragging them with the mouse.

I was quite pleased when I discovered that by accident. I've wanted that ever since win95 :)

soybean

Genius
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2010, 09:01:08 PM »
I was quite pleased when I discovered that by accident. I've wanted that ever since win95 :)
Way back when I was using Win 98SE, I installed a utility called Button Boogie from PCMag.com which allowed the user to rearrange taskbar buttons by dragging with the mouse.  But, PCMag.com did not create a version of that utility that would work with later versions of Windows when Win 2K was released and then later when Win XP was released.  I see they finally released Button Boogie 2 on September 21, 2007 and it works with Wndows 2000, XP, & Vista. 

Like you, I'm glad to see Microsoft has finally added the feature to the OS.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2010, 11:55:40 AM »
Another feature which I believe has not been mentioned is HomeGroup networking.  It's an easier way to setup a network where all the computers involved are running Windows 7.   

Of course, Windows 7 can be networked with earlier versions of Windows but that's basically done the same way as with those versions of Windows.

nowhere0225

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2010, 03:02:48 PM »
For me - the feature i love is Windows Shake.