Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

Cannot download or automatically disconnect

Give an answer
1 (50%)
Give a reply
1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: browser trouble  (Read 11700 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: browser trouble
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 02:23:18 PM »
I'm just saying things of this nature can be resolved via PM's...

but a pm will be ignored by allan
Then don't send one. But don't fill this thread with nonsense.

I can't really offer any on-topic advice to Nutcase At the Moment; Allan's covered the most sensible approaches first step.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

harry 48

Egghead

• lay back , relax and chill out
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Dribbling Pensioner
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 02:35:32 PM »
Then don't send one. But don't fill this thread with nonsense.

i never intended to do so

its not me who started and not me who is keeping it going

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 04:35:32 PM »
Yes...you are.
Look at the above Posts.

patio.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Nutcase

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 02:21:40 AM »
    Nutcase - let's make sure this isn't a system problem. Install and run firefox and see if it works properly.
    Firefox does work, IE no longer does.

Nutcase

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 02:44:28 AM »
      Harry please stop sending these messages.
      I do not know who Allan is, nor what a moderator is in computers, nor understnad his message at the beginning, but it is for him alone to answer, if it really means anything at all.
      The name `nutcase' came up as a mistake, and I left it, but all I want is a straight simple serious sensible answer to my problem, and nothing else. Cassandra gave a sensible suggeston but unfortunately it did not work.
      Please stop sending your messages, and this requires NO REPLY. Thank you.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 05:48:05 AM »
      So you are saying IE no longer works at all? Which OS are you using please?

Also, if ANY member is sending you unwanted Private Messages please let us know and we will handle it immediately.

Nutcase

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 10:52:11 AM »
        I did not say that IE does not work at all. Perhaps I should explain better.

1] IE7 used to work well, download attachments, and when I left it it offered me the option of either immediate disconnect or staying connected (to the internet, not to IE which I had left).

2] Firefox did not offer me that option, I had to find a way to disconnect. For this and other reasons not relelvant what they were) I was not too pleased with Firefox.

3] I updated to IE8 as this was recommended everywhere, and this gave me the advantage of working in In-Private. BUT while everything else worked, I could no longer download attaachments. I have already posted on this site the message I receive (please read it). Also I was no longer offered the automatic disconnect option, annoying but not fatal. There are other less convenient ways to disconnect. But inability to download attachments was serious.

4] I uninstalled IE8 and was left with IE7 again, hoping the problem would disappear. But it did not. Now even in IE7 these two problems existed!

5] Suspecting the system, I tried Firefox. Of course it did not give me the disconnect option, it never had done, but it DID download attachments. This meant that the problem was with IE and neither the computer nor the system. (Cassandra understoo this but his suggested solution did not wok.)

6] Since it started with IE8 but continued when that was uninstalled, it meant that IE8 had installed something that did not uninstall.

7] I went back to IE8 which I prefer to use rather than Firefox. One advantage is the fact that I can use In-Private which Firefox does not have. Another is the way attachments are downloaded where IE allows me to choose a name but Firefox gives a reference number, causing bother when there are a few attachments together.

8] I tried to contact Microsoft support but got such a lot of irrelevant rubbish (far worse than the worst that late appeared in the forum) in reply that I told them I will now use Firefox, and left them.

9] I searched Computer Hope and found no solution, so sent an email. This was acknowledged with a reference CHD 12378 but no reply. I asked twice for a reply to this reference but was ignored.

10] I then tackled this Forum. When asked for my name in regilstering I gave my name, but this was not accepted, so I typed in `nutcase' as a comment, and this was accepted as my name, so I left it!
        All I posted on the forum you can see.

Finally Harry-48's personal email did not annoy me, I thnk he means well. His sense of humour has probably been misunderstood in the past and he seeks revenge via the forum.
        `Nutcase'.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 11:01:18 AM »
        Okay. Your previous post said "Firefox does work, IE no longer does" so it sounded as though it stopped working completely. And again, what OS please?

Nutcase

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2010, 11:47:11 AM »
          If you tae the trouble to look, it is on the screen next to my post, to the left. It say XP and there is no reason to disbelieve it. I begin to understnd Harry.

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #24 on: November 11, 2010, 11:58:29 AM »
          Do a repair install (boot to the XP CD and choose the second repair option). After the install process finishes you'll need to go to MS Update and re-download all updates. Done properly, a repair install will not effect installed apps or preferences.

Regarding your rude comment above, I try not to take anything for granted before giving advice. It helps avoid providing bad input which would only make things worse than they were originally. But don't worry, this will be my last post in this thread. I'm sorry I got involved.

Nutcase

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2010, 08:48:27 AM »
                 I booted to the XP CD (start, press F12, tell it to boot to CD, it says it is doing so) and do not get even one repair option, let alone two! Opeining the CD indifferent ways gives all sorts of complicated things but no `repair', nor does control panel (only add or remove Windows components).
                 I do not wish to get involved in a political battle between Harry 48 and Allan, but the latter inserted an incomprehensible comment at the beginning which he refused to explain (starting all the nonsense that followed) and also did not explain why Computer Hope acknowledged but refused to answer my original email.
                 Of over 400 who have read this page, only one (Cassandra) gave me a sensible reply, a possible solution, but unfortunatey it did not work. It seems that he does not have another to offer, not his fault. It is apparently all another Microsoft mess-up, and I now give up. I abdicate. I leave this page or thread or whatever you call it. I am very disappointed with Computer Hope. I must accet that Internet Exploree will no longer download anything for me.  = Nutcase

soybean

Genius
            • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #26 on: November 15, 2010, 08:49:15 AM »
                 I do not wish to get involved in a political battle between Harry 48 and Allan, but the latter inserted an incomprehensible comment at the beginning which he refused to explain ...
            And, that "incomprehensible comment" was this:
            And the purpose of the poll is .............. ???
            How in the world was that an incomprehensible comment?  You put a poll question at the top of your topic.  Does someone need to post a screen print of it?  Just look at it.  It says:

Question:    Cannot download or automatically disconnect
            And, two choices are given:
            • Give an answer
            • Give a reply

Allan was asking why you posted a poll that makes makes sense and serves no purpose.

Nutcase

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2010, 02:33:47 PM »
              Soybean
              I am new to all this and do not know what a poll is.
              If you mean the thing about

`and two choices are given, give an answer give a reply'

I did not put it in and do not understand it.
              It came in automatically and I assumed that this was something
              that was added to every new question, though later I noticed
              that it did not appear with other people's. Perhaps it comes
              in when you press a button on the keyboard accidentally,
              I don't know, but he could have explained his question
              as you have apparently done now.

I have learned in the process of all this that there are
              various technical terms used in the forum
              such as thread, post, and so on. It seems that poll is one of these.
              It would greatly help if Computer Hope put a list of these terms
              with explanations, and help on usage,, to read before entering the forum.
              I had to muck my way through and hope for the best
              all because they refused toi answer my email.
                 I still do not know what a poll is in a forum, nor what all that about
              an answer and a reply etc. means. Anyway, surely an answer
              is a reply and vice versa? So I have always understood.
              === Nutcase

Salmon Trout

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2010, 03:48:00 PM »
              Nutcase's syntax and prose style is very (Bill)rich, I begin to think...

Nutcase

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2010, 05:23:17 AM »
                Nutcase's syntax and prose style is very (Bill)rich, I begin to think...

It seems that anyone who writes plain correct English, instead of American slang, who is neither illiterate nor uneducated, who tries to be sensible instead of stupid, is unwelcome on the internet.
                   I am glad that Salmon Trout at last begins to think. It helps in life to do this.
                   All I want is to be able to download from Internet Explorer as I used to do. And what I get in rely is nearly all totallly irrelevant. (I know ths is a difficult word - look it up in the dictionary.) == Nutcase