Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Recovery Console does not recognise CD after being opened with it.  (Read 18512 times)

Arno

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    XP Pro SP3 automatic updates / Compaq EVO 510 P4-2.44 2GB Ram

BSoD at frequent intervals. Cannot read Mini.dmp file.
    Event Viewer shows "System Error (102)".
    Googleing brought a reference to the free "WhoCrashed" by Resplendence SW.
    WhoCrashed reports ntoskrnl.exe to be the cause.
    Googleing for it I found ComputerHope
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000646.htm

Booting from the Windows CD I opened the Recovery Console, followed instructions per above URL, hit [Enter] and got the line:
    "There is no floppy disk or CD in the Drive."
    (which was used to open the recovery console in the first place).

Any recommendations before I throw in the towel on that computer.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Recovery Console does not recognise CD after being opened with it.
    « Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 08:31:31 PM »
    What exacty do you mean about usin the RC with the above URL ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

JJ 3000

Egghead
    « Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 12:05:35 AM »
    Are you talking about using this command?
    Code: [Select]
    expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32That command assumes that your cd drive's letter is d. If it's another letter, like e, change that letter in the command after the word expand.
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

Arno

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 07:44:03 AM »
      What exacty do you mean about usin the RC with the above URL ? ?
      With the Recovery Console open following the instructions at http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000646.htm

Arno

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 07:48:31 AM »
        Are you talking about using this command?
        Code: [Select]
        expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32That command assumes that your cd drive's letter is d. If it's another letter, like e, change that letter in the command after the word expand.
        Yes, my CD drive _is_ the D:\ drive.
        That is why I am stumped and exactly is my reason for registering in the Forum.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 09:48:28 AM »
        Yes, my CD drive _is_ the D:\ drive.

Not if your hard drive is not detected or defunct... what do you see in the recovery console? Is there a prompt?

Arno

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 11:30:56 AM »
          Not if your hard drive is not detected or defunct... what do you see in the recovery console? Is there a prompt?
          Here is a photo taken http://tinypic.com/r/10pt3x0/7

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 11:38:51 AM »
          What do you see if you type

DIR C:\

at the recovery console prompt?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          • Certifications: List
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 11:49:33 AM »
          It appears you may have skipped some steps prior to restoring the ntoskrnl.exe file.

Before trying any of the below recommendations it's recommend that you attempt to load the last known good configuration.
          http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000626.htm

Arno

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 01:11:17 PM »
            DIR C:\
            At the recovery console the only input it will accept is 1 for for C:\Windows.
            DIR C:\ gives a complete listing of the directories of C:\ and, after paging down reverts to C:\Windows.

DIR D:\ gets
            Directory of D:\
            07/11/09 04:40p d-------         0 DCIM
                1 file(S)           0 bytes
                1460076544 bytes free

In a normal Windows boot I have no problems seeing the file NTOSKRNL.EX_ in the I386 folder of the (D:) drive.

While typing the last message came in.
            Because of problems with restore points not being recognised early
            in my XP use I have that feature turned off.
            Before installation of major programmes I have made exports of the registry to a folder but found that some of the recent ones were corrupted.
            Example, downloaded ReImage, a couple of days ago and tried to clean the registry by importing the export I made before installation.

I hope to get around to trying other ones in the next few days.
            Meanwhile I will keep using the old PIII-800for eMail/browsing.
            (I may even try to copy ntoskrnl.exe to the P4. Both have the same created date but different modified ones and the old is 2,129 KB but the "corrupted" one shows 2,129 KB.)

Thanks for your efforts.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 03:50:38 PM »
            Not sure why D: is in this whole equation here...
            All boot files and everything required for the system to be right should be on C:///
            Ignore D: for now...

Salmon Trout

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 03:52:57 PM »
            All boot files and everything required for the system to be right should be on C:///

He wants to expand D:\i386\NTOSKRNL.EX_ because the one on his C:\ drive is damaged.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 03:54:57 PM »
            Gotcha...thanx for the clarification....Sleepy.

Arno

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 04:12:14 PM »
              Because I have i386\ntoskernl.ex_ only on  my windows CD and in order to expand it I have to put that CD into my CD drive which is only D:\ .
              I don't have C:/// and when I enter that in a command window I receive
              'C:///' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

If you use XP, would you be so kind to tell me exactly where you find ntoskrnl.ex_ on your C: drive and how it can be expanded from within Windows Explorer.

Thank you.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
              « Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 05:20:48 PM »
              Because I have i386\ntoskernl.ex_ only on  my windows CD and in order to expand it I have to put that CD into my CD drive which is only D:\ .I don't have C:/// and when I enter that in a command window I receive
              'C:///' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
              If you use XP, would you be so kind to tell me exactly where you find ntoskrnl.ex_ on your C: drive and how it can be expanded from within Windows Explorer...
              Ignore "///", he fell asleep at the keyboard; it's C:\
              ntoskrnl.ex_ is a compressed version on the CD which gets uncompressed and copied to the C-drive by the expand command.  There are 2 copies, you can search for them.

Arno

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 06:23:32 PM »
                Ignore "///", he fell asleep at the keyboard
                Guess the red part is "Note to self" <VBG>
                it's C:\ntoskrnl.ex_ is a compressed version on the CD which gets uncompressed and copied to the C-drive by the expand command.  There are 2 copies, you can search for them.
                There are actually 4 copies; at C:\WINDOWS\system32; C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386; C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 and C:\WINDOWS\System32\DllCache .

I found that there is a second one the hard way.
                Tried my old WFW3.11 trick. Made a copy of the 2129 KB of the PIII and renamed it to ntoskrnl.exo and put it in the System32 folder of the P4. Tried to rename the 2139 KB one to ntoskrnl.exa so I could rename the older one to .exe.
                Action was denied as there was "another" .exe and it immediately showed it again as a complete file so I deleted the .exo and .exa.

Making an Explorer search, after reading your post, I found the 4 instances.
                However, the one in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 shows a size of 2138 KB, 1 KB less than the other three and that may the cause of the BSoD's.

I don't mind to re-name something and reverting if it didn't work but I don't have to courage at this point to copy and replace such an important file.

Looks as if I am back where I started, not able to expand the .ex_ from the CD.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                « Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 07:01:09 PM »
                I only have the 1st 2, but it's a protected file, can't do anything with it while in Windows, hence the Recovery Console.  Instead of expanding it from the CD, you could copy it to a floppy disk & copy from the FD to the HD from the RC.
                My file is 2139kB, 4/27/2010 9:25PM
                Very rarely does this file become corrupted, so am skeptical this will fix it.
                Repair Install might do it:  http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

JJ 3000

Egghead
                « Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 10:06:38 PM »

map

Save a Life!
                Adopt a homeless pet.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                « Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 01:11:41 AM »
                    1460076544 bytes free

Mystery solved then.

the D:\ drive is not your CD drive, but looks like a camera, SD card, cellphone, or something similar. (a "DCIM" folder is usually created by digital cameras).

the CD-ROM drive is being recognized by as a different drive letter. (look at various drive letters using DIR E:, dir F:, etc until you find the one that is the CD-ROM).

This is, however, completely pointless. I can say with some certainty that the chances of having a corrupted NTOSKRNL that let's you boot up fine and gives you a blue screen later on are negligible.

Your blue screens aren't <caused> by ntoskrnl, the blue screen occurs while ntoskrnl has control. It could be caused by bad RAM, a errant driver (any recent hardware installations? driver updates?)
                I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Arno

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 05:59:36 PM »
                  Instead of expanding it from the CD, you could copy it to a floppy disk & copy from the FD to the HD from the RC.
                  Upon the advise from BC_Programmer I tried consecutive drive letters and unfortunately found the CD at H:
                  Unfortunately because the expand command worked but after [Exit] the boot up ended with the blue screen
                  Stop: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
                  The Session Manager Initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with status of 0xc000003a (0x00000000 0x00000000).
                  The system has been shut down.
                  Repair Install might do it:  http://www.michaelstevenstech.comXPrepairinstall.htm
                  I looked at that and the thread on coooo21a and decided to do some jugling around on the weekend and use theHDD as a s slave in this PIII and first try to save as much data as I can. There are an awful lot of sub folders under the Documents & Settings.

Thanks.

Arno

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 06:07:44 PM »
                    map
                    I see
                    A:     \Device\Floppy0
                    H:     \Device\CDRom0

Thanks.

Arno

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 06:37:37 PM »
                      Mystery solved then.
                      the D:\ drive is not your CD drive, but looks like a camera, SD card, cellphone, or something similar. (a "DCIM" folder is usually created by digital cameras).
                      Yup. DCIM looked very familiar but that used to be at the SD card reader drive letter (see reply to JJ 3000).
                      This is, however, completely pointless. I can say with some certainty that the chances of having a corrupted NTOSKRNL that let's you boot up fine and gives you a blue screen later on are negligible.

Your blue screens aren't <caused> by ntoskrnl, the blue screen occurs while ntoskrnl has control. It could be caused by bad RAM, a errant driver (any recent hardware installations? driver updates?)
                      Yes, in retrospect it would have been better if I had not followed the instructions at http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000646.htm .
                      During the over writing of the XP (nt) operating system (os) kernel (krnl) something must have gotten corrupted.

Although I can still invoke the recovery console, the (DOS type) screen now goes straight to C:\> instead of C:\Windows> where it gave a choice of a numerical selection of the operating system.

The DIR command still show a WINDOWS directory but cd windows or any other directory results in an Access is denied. reply.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                        • Yes
                        • Yes
                        • BC-Programming.com
                      « Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 06:40:02 PM »
                      Yup. DCIM looked very familiar but that used to be at the SD card reader drive letter (see reply to JJ 3000).Yes, in retrospect it would have been better if I had not followed the instructions at http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000646.htm .
                      During the over writing of the XP (nt) operating system (os) kernel (krnl) something must have gotten corrupted.

Although I can still invoke the recovery console, the (DOS type) screen now goes straight to C:\> instead of C:\Windows> where it gave a choice of a numerical selection of the operating system.

The DIR command still show a WINDOWS directory but cd windows or any other directory results in an Access is denied. reply.

Repair Install might do it:  http://www.michaelstevenstech.comXPrepairinstall.htm
                      I looked at that and the thread on coooo21a and decided to do some jugling around on the weekend and use theHDD as a s slave in this PIII and first try to save as much data as I can. There are an awful lot of sub folders under the Documents & Settings.

None of that seems related to performing a repair install....

Arno

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2010, 07:37:17 PM »
                        none of that seems related to performing a repair install....
                        If http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
                        doesn't, what does?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                          • Yes
                          • Yes
                          • BC-Programming.com
                        « Reply #24 on: November 16, 2010, 07:49:02 PM »
                        If http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
                        doesn't, what does?

it's related ,yes, but you didn't describe much about it, just how you tried to backup stuff.

Arno

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2010, 10:05:20 PM »
                          it's related ,yes, but you didn't describe much about it, just how you tried to backup stuff.
                          As I said I will (future tense) try it on the weekend I could hardly say what I have tried in the past.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                          « Reply #26 on: November 17, 2010, 03:40:21 PM »
                              1460076544 bytes free
                          I should have recognized this immediately (BC_P did).  DCIM is folder created by dig-camera & indicates D-drive is a memory card of some kind.  I completely missed that.  Oh, well  :-[

Arno

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2010, 06:12:20 PM »
                            I should have recognized this immediately (BC_P did).  DCIM is folder created by dig-camera & indicates D-drive is a memory card of some kind.  I completely missed that.  Oh, well  :-[
                            I too, as I used it almost daily in the "Normal" windows G:\ drive as part of a multi card reader. Matter in fact, that's how I got http://tinypic.com/r/347jof8/7 .
                            I think the best advise given for that situation was from JJ 3000 when he suggested to use the map command.

I had some time and put the HDD as a slave drive in the PIII, renamed ntoskrnl.exe to .exa (since delete) and copied the .exe file from \driver cache\i386 to \system32 as it had the same size and date as on of the other ones on my machine, identical to the one you posted from yours.
                            The one from expanding dates back to 2004 and I'm wondering if there was a problem created because I am on SP3 with all updates.

I put the hard drive back and booted up normally. I then made a stress test by having several movies and web youtubes running.  After about twenty minutes I was back to my regular blue screen.

As I am really busy with other matters and I don't know how I will proceed as my "no boot" problem is solved and I am not keen to run into additional problems which I cannot trace.

JJ 3000

Egghead
                            « Reply #28 on: November 17, 2010, 06:18:30 PM »
                            Download BlueScreenView
                            No installation required.
                            Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
                            When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
                            Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
                            Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Save a Life!
                            Adopt a homeless pet.

Arno

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2010, 07:55:50 PM »
                              Download BlueScreenView
                              No installation required.
                              Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
                              When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
                              Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
                              Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.
                              ZoneAlarm didn't want to let me onto nirsoft's web site.
                              Looks as if my main problem comes from the HAL.DLL.

I will edit it down after you had a look at it  and tell me to do so.

==================================================
                              Dump File         : Mini111710-08.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-17 20:03:25
                              Bug Check String  : MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
                              Bug Check Code    : 0x0000009c
                              Parameter 1       : 0x00000000
                              Parameter 2       : 0x8054e0f0
                              Parameter 3       : 0xa2000000
                              Parameter 4       : 0x84010400
                              Caused By Driver  : hal.dll
                              Caused By Address : hal.dll+58db
                              File Description  : Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
                              Product Name      : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
                              Company           : Microsoft Corporation
                              File Version      : 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)
                              Processor         : 32-bit
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini111710-08.dmp
                              Processors Count  : 1
                              Major Version     : 15
                              Minor Version     : 2600

Dump File         : Mini111710-07.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-17 19:54:06
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini111710-07.dmp

Dump File         : Mini111710-06.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-17 17:41:28
                              Bug Check String  : UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
                              Bug Check Code    : 0x1000007f
                              Parameter 1       : 0x00000008
                              Parameter 2       : 0x80042000
                              Parameter 3       : 0x00000000
                              Parameter 4       : 0x00000000
                              Caused By Driver  : ks.sys
                              Caused By Address : ks.sys+ec40
                              File Description  : Kernel CSA Library
                              Product Name      : Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
                              File Version      : 5.3.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108)
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini111710-06.dmp

Dump File         : Mini111710-05.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-17 17:16:03
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini111710-05.dmp

Dump File         : Mini111710-04.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-17 17:13:28
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini111710-04.dmp

Dump File         : Mini111710-03.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-17 16:50:46
                              Bug Check String  : DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
                              Bug Check Code    : 0x100000d1
                              Parameter 2       : 0x00000002
                              Caused By Driver  : vsdatant.sys
                              Caused By Address : vsdatant.sys+23c16
                              File Description  : ZoneAlarm Firewalling Driver
                              Product Name      : ZoneAlarm Firewalling Driver
                              Company           : Check Point Software Technologies LTD
                              File Version      : 9.2.035.000
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini111710-03.dmp

Dump File         : Mini111710-02.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-17 16:28:47
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini111710-02.dmp

Dump File         : Mini111710-01.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-17 14:39:11
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini111710-01.dmp

Dump File         : Mini111510-03.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-15 19:04:09
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini111510-03.dmp

Dump File         : Mini111510-02.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-15 18:23:11
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini111510-02.dmp

Dump File         : Mini111510-01.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-15 13:50:49
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini111510-01.dmp

Dump File         : Mini111410-04.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-14 19:02:41
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini111410-04.dmp

Dump File         : Mini111410-03.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-14 18:58:23
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini111410-03.dmp

Dump File         : Mini111410-02.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-14 11:31:58
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini111410-02.dmp

Dump File         : Mini111410-01.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-14 09:02:51
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini111410-01.dmp

Dump File         : Mini111310-05.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-13 18:43:52
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini111310-05.dmp

Dump File         : Mini111310-04.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-13 17:58:58
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini111310-04.dmp

Dump File         : Mini111310-03.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-13 17:55:59
                              Parameter 1       : 0x00000243
                              Parameter 2       : 0x00000009
                              Parameter 3       : 0x00000001
                              Parameter 4       : 0xb871fd88
                              Caused By Driver  : i8042prt.sys
                              Caused By Address : i8042prt.sys+7d88
                              File Description  : i8042 Port Driver
                              File Version      : 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108)
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini111310-03.dmp

Dump File         : Mini111310-02.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-13 14:50:13
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini111310-02.dmp

Dump File         : Mini111310-01.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-13 09:05:18
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini111310-01.dmp

Dump File         : Mini111210-02.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-12 19:50:29
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini111210-02.dmp

Dump File         : Mini111210-01.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-12 11:17:37
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini111210-01.dmp

Dump File         : Mini111110-03.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-11 20:49:56
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini111110-03.dmp

Dump File         : Mini111110-02.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-11 20:47:35
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini111110-02.dmp

Dump File         : Mini111110-01.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-11 20:46:00
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini111110-01.dmp

Dump File         : Mini111010-04.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-10 18:48:03
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini111010-04.dmp

Dump File         : Mini111010-03.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-10 18:12:11
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini111010-03.dmp

Dump File         : Mini111010-02.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-10 15:39:59
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini111010-02.dmp

Dump File         : Mini111010-01.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-10 15:17:03
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini111010-01.dmp

Dump File         : Mini110910-02.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-09 18:59:54
                              Bug Check String  : KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
                              Bug Check Code    : 0x1000008e
                              Parameter 1       : 0xc0000005
                              Parameter 2       : 0xbf8299b9
                              Parameter 3       : 0xb28156c0
                              Caused By Driver  : win32k.sys
                              Caused By Address : win32k.sys+299b9
                              File Description  : Multi-User Win32 Driver
                              File Version      : 5.1.2600.6033 (xpsp_sp3_gdr.100831-1644)
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini110910-02.dmp

Dump File         : Mini110910-01.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-09 17:56:17
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini110910-01.dmp

Dump File         : Mini110710-08.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-07 22:26:50
                              Parameter 2       : 0x00000009
                              Caused By Driver  : i8042prt.sys
                              Caused By Address : i8042prt.sys+7ee3
                              File Description  : i8042 Port Driver
                              File Version      : 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108)
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini110710-08.dmp

Dump File         : Mini110710-07.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-07 22:10:59
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini110710-07.dmp

Dump File         : Mini110710-06.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-07 22:09:05
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini110710-06.dmp

Dump File         : Mini110710-05.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-07 19:47:21
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini110710-05.dmp

Dump File         : Mini110710-04.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-07 19:45:46
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini110710-04.dmp

Dump File         : Mini110710-03.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-07 19:44:07
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini110710-03.dmp

Dump File         : Mini110710-02.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-07 19:42:09
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini110710-02.dmp

Dump File         : Mini110710-01.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-07 18:53:52
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini110710-01.dmp

Dump File         : Mini110610-01.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-06 10:18:50
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini110610-01.dmp

Dump File         : Mini110510-05.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-05 19:06:39
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini110510-05.dmp

Dump File         : Mini110510-04.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-05 19:05:07
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini110510-04.dmp

Dump File         : Mini110510-03.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-05 17:25:55
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini110510-03.dmp

Dump File         : Mini110510-02.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-05 16:57:51
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini110510-02.dmp

Dump File         : Mini110510-01.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-05 16:56:11
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini110510-01.dmp

Dump File         : Mini110410-01.dmp
                              Crash Time        : 2010-Nov-04 18:41:34
                              Parameter 3       : 0xe2000001
                              Computer Name     :
                              Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini110410-01.dmp

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                • Yes
                                • Yes
                                • BC-Programming.com
                              « Reply #30 on: November 17, 2010, 07:58:48 PM »
                              MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION BSOD's practically guarantee a hardware problem.

I'd be inclined to blame the memory.

Arno

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2010, 08:19:32 PM »
                                The Compaq diagnostics gave the memory a clean bill of health.
                                I have two 1GB sticks and I ran that one in one slot, then in the other and than did the same with the second stick.  It made no difference to the eventual BSOD.

I have to see if I can borrow some from someone for testing as I did not really want to spend more on this machine, hoping for the USB 3.0 mother boards to hit the majors.

JJ 3000

Egghead
                                « Reply #32 on: November 17, 2010, 10:28:16 PM »
                                You should use memtest to check your RAM. Get it here
                                http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

If the RAM is OK, swap out your power supply with one of equal or greater wattage. Try to borrow a power supply for this if you can.

If the problem still persists after you've checked the RAM and the PSU, then it is most likely a problem with your CPU or motherboard.
                                Save a Life!
                                Adopt a homeless pet.

Arno

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2010, 07:36:04 PM »
                                  Memtest came out OK.
                                  I don't know anyone with a SFF Compaq/HP to borrow a PSU which also leaves me up the creek as far as the motherboard is concerned.

I appreciate your input.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                                  « Reply #34 on: November 18, 2010, 08:13:25 PM »
                                  MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION BSOD's practically guarantee a hardware problem...
                                  Yup, it's a hardware problem.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_Check_Exception
                                  Get Hardware Monitor to keep an eye on voltages & temps.  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
                                  No guarantee, but it's a place to start.  Post a screenshot.
                                  Depending on the motherboard, some of the temps could be meaningless, i.e. TMPIN0, TMPIN1 in the example below.

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

Arno

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2010, 09:26:16 PM »
                                    http://tinypic.com/r/250pdp1/7

Haven't yet found out how to upload an image in this forums software.

JJ 3000

Egghead
                                    « Reply #36 on: November 18, 2010, 10:35:12 PM »
                                    I just noticed this

downloaded ReImage, a couple of days ago and tried to clean the registry by importing the export I made before installation.

Did this problem start right after you used reimage?
                                    Save a Life!
                                    Adopt a homeless pet.

Arno

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2010, 07:08:15 AM »
                                      The problem started about a month before that.
                                      I cannot say for certain but maybe about the times that KB2416447 failed to install for about a week but took hold with the next bunch a week later.

Because all the searches fingered RAM, hardware or software problems I did uninstall that update but it made no difference to the BSOD.
                                      About 3 weeks prior to that the last software change was a Java and Flash upgrade for Firefox.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                                      « Reply #38 on: November 19, 2010, 12:01:55 PM »
                                      ...Haven't yet found out how to upload an image in this forums software....
                                      Additional Options... below message reply box.
                                      Everything looks normal.

Arno

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2010, 02:16:45 PM »
                                        Additional Options... below message reply box.
                                        Thanks
                                        Everything looks normal.
                                        That's what the HP Invent Diagnostics (Control Panel>Diagnostics for Windows) reported but it is nice to have it confirmed by some newer software.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                                        « Reply #40 on: November 19, 2010, 04:05:14 PM »
                                        MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION BSOD's practically guarantee a hardware problem.

I'd be inclined to blame the memory.
                                        Maybe the graphics card memory?  Here's a link to the OP's hardware screenshot.  Looks like a dedicated graphics card

Arno

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2010, 05:13:45 PM »
                                          Maybe the graphics card memory?
                                          Looks like a dedicated graphics card.
                                          That is a GeForce 6200 with 256 MB Nvidia chip set.

Early on, during the physical RAM stick tests, I also tested with the video card removed.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                                          « Reply #42 on: November 20, 2010, 02:23:56 PM »
                                          That is a GeForce 6200 with 256 MB Nvidia chip set.
                                          Early on, during the physical RAM stick tests, I also tested with the video card removed.
                                          There are no tests for the video RAM, that I am aware of.  If you have another video card, use it and see if the problem disappears.

Arno

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2010, 05:11:04 PM »
                                            I do not have another video card.
                                            I thought it could not be the card as the problem still existed when the card was removed from the computer.
                                            That card is an aftermarket card.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                                            « Reply #44 on: November 21, 2010, 11:24:34 AM »
                                            1.  I do not have another video card.
                                            2.  I thought it could not be the card as the problem still existed when the card was removed from the computer.
                                            That card is an aftermarket card.
                                            #1 & #2 are inconsistent.  If you don't have another video card, how would the computer function without one?  Does this computer also have onboard video which you have not yet told us about?  If it does, I suspect you have omitted other pertinent information.  I'm all out of ideas.

Arno

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2010, 01:03:18 PM »
                                              I was not aware that onboard video is called a video card.
                                              In reply #41 I stated that I had also tried to run without the video card.
                                              In reply #42 you suggested that I try another video card.

From my point of view there is no inconsistency since I have no other card.

As I have no idea what you or others would consider pertinent information I would appreciate to hear what other information should have been supplied.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2010, 01:05:34 PM »
                                              I was not aware that onboard video is called a video card.

Neither was I. On board video chipset, maybe.

Arno

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2010, 04:43:44 PM »
                                                A final wrap up.
                                                After a few more trials the re booting started in the middle of booting for a continuous loop.

As a stop gap I got myself a $70 off lease IBM ThinkCentre 8142 which uses PCI slots so I could not use the AGP video card but could replace the 256 MB memory with the two 1GM DDR400 sticks from the old machine.

Apologies to Computer_Commando. Reading the detailed online IBM manual they do refer to the on board video as a video card.

Using the HDD from the condemned machine as a slave I was able to get most of my data off that disk.
                                                Couple of days ago it started to take a couple of minutes before opening a file with Windows Explorer and yesterday morning it stated that the disk is not formatted.

I will start a new thread to find out if there is a way to get the data off there after all.

Thanks to all who have helped.
                                                Arno