Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dis-assemble the computer  (Read 3862 times)

Rajesh Chandra

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Dis-assemble the computer
    « on: November 25, 2010, 11:59:51 PM »
    Dear All

I have a desktop PC that has acquired dust , grime over a period of time so i want to clean all the hardware inside it. But i want to do it on my own so i can be familiar with the computer hardware. How can i do it?
    Please tell me step by step process . I live in Delhi,India.   

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Dis-assemble the computer
    « Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 12:52:15 AM »
    Take apart computer.
    Clean parts.
    Put computer back together.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

jith

Rookie
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 02:28:00 AM »
      Hi Rajesh..

It is important for you to be familiar with the different components before attempting to disassemble it. Disassembling a computer is not a tough task, but for beginners it surely is. I will explain to you easy ways to disassemble your computer either for cleaning or replacing and component.

1. Cut the Power

This is an important step before starting disassembling any electrical device. Same goes for computer. Remove all the connections from the outlets before disassembling the computer. This will keep you from being electrocuted.

2. Open the CPU Case

You first have to look if your CPU casing has any screws or it just needs a slide to come off. Don't use force to remove the casing. Remove the screws if any or slide it slowly away from the CPU. Different CPU designs have different method for removing the case. Follow them carefully.

3. Make a Note

If you are new to computers, it is essential for you to take a snap or note of each and everything inside the computer. This will assist you later when reassembling. You should have a clear idea of each and everything and their connections... So make a note for all the hardware that are connected and  also point out the wire that plugged into the mother board

4. Disconnecting Cards

Cards are usually positioned and secured with screws. It is important to remove the screws before pulling them out of their slots. Don't apply too much force to pull them to avoid any damage to them. Remove all the cards like, sound card, VGA card, and memory card (RAM) etc. memory cards are usually comes in two modules SIMM and DIMM. Both types are modules are usually secured with tabs plastic or metal. You just need to push these tabs to pull these modules out.

5. Disconnecting Drives

Now you ready to remove the drives from the system. Remove all the connections of the drives, unscrew them and take them out of the system carefully. Disk drives usually contain hard drive and floppy drive. CD drive is also there; remove that also by removing the screws.

6. Remove Motherboard (If needed)

Once you have removed all the other components from the system, now you can easily remove the motherboard from the system. Motherboard is the main board on which all the other components are connected. Motherboard is usually secured in place with screws. Remove the screws and carefully remove the board from the system..

7.  Clean the hardwares and put it back carefully

These points will surely help you to disassemble the computer with minimum of hesitation. You will do well as far as you follow the given points. Another point which you need to keep in mind is to keep all the disassemble components in a secure place and treat them gently..

Regards,
      JiTh
      Server Administrator
      Regards,
      JiTh,
      Sr.Server Administrator

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 02:33:50 AM »
      Take apart computer.
      Clean parts.
      Put computer back together.
      Maybe BC was thinking about this you tube video:
      How to remove dust from your PC, LIKE A MAN!

Mocha67

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 09:36:51 AM »
      Hi Rajesh,
      Jiths explanation is a good step-by-step guide, but care must be taken when handling computer hardware such as motherboards, memory modules and computer cards as these are sensitive to electrostatic discharge. You should use an electrostatic matt and wristband to avoid damage to the components.
      I would just open up the case and use a hand vacume cleaner to remove dust without touching the components. You could also use a can of compressed air to blow the dust away.

Regards.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 09:37:47 AM »
      Hi Rajesh,
      Jiths explanation is a good step-by-step guide, but care must be taken when handling computer hardware such as motherboards, memory modules and computer cards as these are sensitive to electrostatic discharge. You should use an electrostatic matt and wristband to avoid damage to the components.
      I would just open up the case and use a hand vacume cleaner to remove dust without touching the components. You could also use a can of compressed air to blow the dust away.

Regards.
      +1

JJ 3000

Egghead
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 09:53:16 AM »
      I would just open up the case and use a hand vacume cleaner to remove dust without touching the components.

Do not use a vacuum cleaner!
      Use compressed air. Make sure that you are making contact with the metal frame the whole time you are working inside of the case to ground yourself. This will prevent static discharge.

Use a Q-tip or a toothpick to keep the fans from spinning while you are blowing it out.

Take it outside to clean it. The dust goes everywhere.

If you remove the heatsink and clean it, make sure that you apply new thermal paste before you replace it.
      Save a Life!
      Adopt a homeless pet.
      http://www.petfinder.com/

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 09:54:41 AM »
      Yeah, sorry - good catch JJ. My Plus 1 was for compressed air. Missed the vacuum suggestion completely.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 10:05:54 AM »
        Because also as pointed out blowing with compressed air is the best way (as opposed to vacuuming) you should hold any fan from spinning when directing air in it's vicinity. Otherwise increased revs on the fan can cause damage to it. truenorth