Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: [BIOS] Kinda Stupid Question... (And more likely a BAD idea)  (Read 3306 times)

deargodpleasehelp

[BIOS] Kinda Stupid Question... (And more likely a BAD idea)
« on: November 30, 2010, 06:28:45 PM »
Hi, I Use Ubuntu Linux and one of my Virtual Operating Systems (VirtualBox) is Windows Xp, I mainly use it for application compatibility, for what i can not do in Linux or Windows 7 on my Dual-Boot system I can do in Virtualization.

Well, I've been pondering about this for a while and I was wondering...

Is it safe to run a Mac OS ROM/BIOS/Firmware Update in Virtualization? The 'Guest' Mac OS is Mac Os 9.0.2 ofc, and I know this sounds really stupid even though, I'd rather be safe then sorry.... I mean, I don't want to overwrite my own PC's BIOS/Firmware messing it completely up, and i sure as heck don't want to be replacing a Mobo before christmas or ripping off a BIOS Rom Chip and soldering it back on...

So I was wondering if I may ask, is this a safe operation or likely a no-go?

Listen, I know Mac OS uses a Completely different Motherboard +Firmware along with OS, but I still think this may pose a risk, as silly as it sounds I'm actually a bit worried...

And before you say it- Yes, I believe it's very Possible, I actually downloaded the update seriously from Apple's own Support site for older Macintosh Machines, it's not restricted to iMac, or PowerMac, etc... It's a basic firmware upgrade.

Sure Mac users would be able to go ahead with this, after all, they have EFI, it's not like PC-Bios, so-to-speak.

AFAIK, I'm just concerned that's all, if this poses a risk I'm sure many posts would be on the internet already about NOT running a Firmware Upgrade for a Macintosh on a PC, even though it is in Dual-Virtualization. (Make that Windows Xp, +Mac OS 9 in Basilisk II.)

So I ask,bad idea or is it harmless?

And please don't antagonize me just because I'm ignorant... :( We all once were too!

Thanks for your help.
Also: @Moderators: Sorry if this is considered spam or otherwise..
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 07:03:29 PM by deargodpleasehelp »

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: [BIOS] Kinda- Stupid Question.. (And more likely a BAD idea)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 06:35:15 PM »
I wouldnt do it as for the virtual machines simulated bios does not have a real physical hardware address like your real bios rom in your motherboard. If this flash utility or your bios flash rom has no write failsafe you can brick your motherboard!!!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 06:42:09 PM »
Several things:

First, Look up what "virtualization" means. An Emulator emulates something. When a program running inside an emulator accesses the hardware, it's not accessing your hardware, it's accessing the "pretend" hardware that the virtualization environment gives it. The VM then uses the state of the devices and whatnot to interface as necessary with the actual host environment (networks and such). Therefore, accessing the "ROM" of any machine in virtualization will access the ROM of the virtual machine environment, which cannot be changed anyway, which brings me to my second point...

a "Mac OS ROM" would only "work" on a Mac Emulator. Additionally, you would use them as separate files (IE, ".ROM" files) not as something you can update from within the emulator. You might clear out your parameter RAM if the update program decides to start off with that before "updating" but I don't  think the emulator would actually write to the ROM file.

(Make that Windows Xp, +Mac OS 9 in Basilisk II.)

Wait, you're running XP in a virtual machine, and inside that virtual machine you're running Basilisk II?

Why not run the Linux version of Basilisk II?

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

deargodpleasehelp

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 06:43:53 PM »
Several things:

First, Look up what "virtualization" means. An Emulator emulates something. When a program running inside an emulator accesses the hardware, it's not accessing your hardware, it's accessing the "pretend" hardware that the virtualization environment gives it. The VM then uses the state of the devices and whatnot to interface as necessary with the actual host environment (networks and such). Therefore, accessing the "ROM" of any machine in virtualization will access the ROM of the virtual machine environment, which cannot be changed anyway, which brings me to my second point...

a "Mac OS ROM" would only "work" on a Mac Emulator. Additionally, you would use them as separate files (IE, ".ROM" files) not as something you can update from within the emulator. You might clear out your parameter RAM if the update program decides to start off with that before "updating" but I don't  think the emulator would actually write to the ROM file.

Wait, you're running XP in a virtual machine, and inside that virtual machine you're running Basilisk II?

Why not run the Linux version of Basilisk II?

Because I can't compile a script in Linux for a Darn.  ::)

And to be honest, there is also a bit of difference in emulation as well.

There's hardware assisted-virtualization, supporting using the host CPU and also enabling emulating multiple CPUs as well even if you only have one....

And then there is software-enabled virtualization, as for all of this, I still doubt it would really be safe... But ah what the heck...

deargodpleasehelp

Re: [BIOS] Kinda Stupid Question... (And more likely a BAD idea)
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 07:19:38 PM »
Hey, I know this may be stupid but....

Yeah, so speaking of this...

What if you ran a PC-BIOS update on a Mac in, for example, Wine or Bootcamp'd Windows?  :o

That I'd like to see lol...
Doubt it would do much, since Mac Firmware is in a Special chip, not a hardware-BIOS chip that most IBM-PC comptible machines use these days for that matter... :P

Just saying. You know.