Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Restarts Randomly?  (Read 19467 times)

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Computer Restarts Randomly?
    « on: December 14, 2010, 06:44:38 AM »
    Edit: My problem has changed, it now happens no matter what I'm doing.

The problem is that Im using my computer, and randomly it'll just restart on me. No updates NOTHING. Just at random it decides the restart on me. This is very frustrating, what could be the problem and what can I do to fix this?

Please try to keep it basic and 'Dumbed down' because Im not fully sure I know my way around computers.

Please hurry if you can, Im very worried.

Windows XP Home SP3
    Pentium[R] 4 CPU @ 3.06GHz
    1 Gig Ram
    Nvidia Geforce 6200
    106GB HDD - 25.7GB Open space
    « Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 07:42:29 AM by WillNeedsHelpFast »
    Doesn't need help as fast anymore ;)

reddevilggg

Expert

Re: Computer Restarts Randomly?
    « Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 07:52:29 AM »

Maybe over heating.

Download SpeedFan and check the temperature.
    11 cheers for binary !

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 07:57:35 AM »
      You refer to "my problem has changed". This leads me to believe that you have another posting on this topic somewhere.If that is so it would have been advisable to continue in that thread as we could know many of the things that we would begin asking now which may have already been dealt with and dismissed. There are so many things that can cause this issue. When you experience these shut downs can they be immediate as to when you 1st turn your computer on? Or do they occur after some interval of time and when you are doing tasks that utilize the CPU? If they occur when you are using the CPU are they relevant to some particular application that is running? What is the condition of your case interior? Full of dust? Have you tried opening the side of the case and run a stand alone fan blowing into the open case? Did you do anything at the time when these shut downs began such as a hardware change or a new software program installed? So as you see many questions need to be answered before we can narrow the options of possible fixes. There are even more questions than those i have already posed as well. truenorth

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 07:59:04 AM »
      Download BlueScreenView:
      http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
      unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
      when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
      Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
      Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

Edited to fix typo
      « Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 09:24:34 AM by Allan »

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 07:59:39 AM »
        Maybe over heating.

Download SpeedFan and check the temperature.

I'm not really sure how to read this, so I just took a picture and posted it here:

You refer to "my problem has changed". This leads me to believe that you have another posting on this topic somewhere.If that is so it would have been advisable to continue in that thread as we could know many of the things that we would begin asking now which may have already been dealt with and dismissed. There are so many things that can cause this issue. When you experience these shut downs can they be immediate as to when you 1st turn your computer on? Or do they occur after some interval of time and when you are doing tasks that utilize the CPU? If they occur when you are using the CPU are they relevant to some particular application that is running? What is the condition of your case interior? Full of dust? Have you tried opening the side of the case and run a stand alone fan blowing into the open case? Did you do anything at the time when these shut downs began such as a hardware change or a new software program installed? So as you see many questions need to be answered before we can narrow the options of possible fixes. There are even more questions than those i have already posed as well. truenorth

No, I originally thought it was because of my games, its doing it now at any ol time.

Usually its when I'm idle playing an xbox game (With a PC game or internet or something running). My brother downloaded some music (But it happened before this too).

I dont think I dled something to cause this.

Download BlueScreenView:
        unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
        when s

Im not getting the blue screen of death. It turns off and restarts tis all.

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 08:40:44 AM »
        You need to identify what motherboard you have.

Speedfan takes reading from various sources and, as far as i know, diferent motherboards means thats the readings are from different places.

Maybe this will help http://www.almico.com/sffaq.php

But from the readings, you definatly have a couple of things that look extremely hot. The above link may help you identify them.
        11 cheers for binary !

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 08:51:11 AM »
          You need to identify what motherboard you have.

Speedfan takes reading from various sources and, as far as i know, diferent motherboards means thats the readings are from different places.

Maybe this will help http://www.almico.com/sffaq.php

But from the readings, you definatly have a couple of things that look extremely hot. The above link may help you identify them.

That link made absolutely no sense to me.

So I went to google and googled "Finding out what motherboard I have".

I found a program for that and it says:

Computer                                                                       
          Computer Brand Name:                                                            Unknown on Noname

Motherboard                                                                     
          Motherboard Model:                                                             
          Motherboard Chipset:                                                            SiS 650 + 962
          Motherboard Slots:                                                              4xPCI, 1xAGP v2.0
          USB Version Supported:                                                          v2.0

BIOS                                                                           
          BIOS Manufacturer:                                                              Phoenix - Award WorkstationBIOS v6.00PG
          BIOS Date:                                                                      08/29/03
          BIOS Version:                                                                   6.00 PG
          BIOS Message:                                                                   651_M Ver1.0a 08/29/2003

Super-IO/LPC Chip:                                                              ITE IT8705/SiS950

Not a clue.

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 09:00:27 AM »

What make and model is your PC?

Can you got to the manufacturers site and look up your specific PC and check out the specs to find your motherboard?

11 cheers for binary !

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 09:03:01 AM »
            What make and model is your PC?

Can you got to the manufacturers site and look up your specific PC and check out the specs to find your motherboard?

I know its HP, but I dont know where to go on their site to tell.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 09:07:25 AM »
              Here is another free software that will run a scan on your system and inform you of all it's hardware contents. Worth doing and keeping for future reffence when a need to identify components is required.
              http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/Everest-Home-Edition.shtml
              truenorth

Allan

• Mastermind
              « Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 09:14:04 AM »
              Im not getting the blue screen of death. It turns off and restarts tis all.
              Unless you've disabled restart on error that's all that's going to happen. Please follow the instructions in my previous post. If it's not a BSOD there's no harm done

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 09:18:57 AM »
                Here is another free software that will run a scan on your system and inform you of all it's hardware contents. Worth doing and keeping for future reffence when a need to identify components is required.
                http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/Everest-Home-Edition.shtml
                truenorth

Oooh! Good lookin' out. I saw everest but couldn't find a download...

I looked at the motherboard section it gave and got:

@Allan - I want to stop it, it does it in the middle of me doing things. Wether theres harm done or not I still cant do tasks.

@Everyone else - Noticingly recently, this is the longest run it's done without actually doing it.

I've kept speedfan up and it still says Temp1 and Temp2 at 90C and 127C. Temp1 seems to be going up.

Im still worried, is this the work of overheating? The tower sounds as loud as it usually does (Not too loud) and it doesn't feel warm, if anything it feels cold cause its so *censored* cold in New York.

Allan

• Mastermind
                « Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 09:23:15 AM »
                Download BlueScreenView:
                when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
                Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
                Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 09:25:45 AM »

Allan

• Mastermind