Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Power supply question  (Read 2518 times)

pcjoseph1974

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Power supply question
    « on: December 15, 2010, 06:56:01 AM »
    I have a Thermal take 600w and It started behaving weirdly. The fan would speed up and down, I have several small LED fans on the case, and these would dim and slow down as well. The computer would run fine, no crashes, no re-boots and so on. If the PS fan was not working properly, would the PS overheat and cause a lowering of Wattage output? If so, then why the LED diminish, and no system problems?

truenorth

Guru

Re: Power supply question
      « Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 08:27:36 AM »
      Yes absolutely  a malfunctioning PSU fan will cause an overheating issue to the point that your computer will likely shut down. As to the diminishing brilliance of the LED lights that can also be the result of a malfunctioning PSU (inadequate power being provided). It can also be as a result of power fluctuations from the electricity source (provider/plug outlet/fault in the service within the location/other component malfunction). Not be ignored. truenorth

pcjoseph1974

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 09:37:43 AM »
        Ok,
        So I replaced the fan with another and came across something interesting. The original fan has only two pins?? Is this some sort of propriatory fan? I also noticed that the original fan was much more powerful than the replacement, although the dimension specs match up. I had to connect the new fan to a cable from the PS. Anyone ever run across this?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 09:50:51 AM »
          Yes it can be that a replacement fan (if it is not identical as to brand) can have a different connection plug. I have had to take the old plug off the original and replace it on the "new" fan. The more important question now is what changes have occurred over what you were experiencing when you posed the problem? Are you getting a warning message at boot that a fan is  NOT functioning? Not all but often fans have sensors that detect faults which are given as a warning at boot. truenorth

pcjoseph1974

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 10:02:26 AM »
            I have not put it back in the computer yet. I hooked it up to a voltage checker and it turned on, it seemed to work fine. I put a different one in it untill I determine that the new fan is going to do its job. Im anxious to see what happens. I love the PS and it operates two 8800gts just fine.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 10:16:35 AM »
              Technical procedure==fingers crossed  ;D  truenorth

Computer_Commando

Hacker
              • Certifications: List
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Expert
              « Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 10:43:46 AM »
              Fans come in 2, 3, & 4-pin versions; almost all are +12VDC.  Speeds & air flow vary greatly.  Dimensions are standardized.
              pin 1 - GND
              pin 2 - +12V
              pin 3 - Sense (Tachometer output)
              pin 4 - Control (PWM input)

Motherboard (CPU) 4 Pin Fan Connector Pinout

LED's are current devices, not voltage devices, so can be connected to any DC power using the appropriate resistor.