Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Going to go with HP, one final question to ask  (Read 2344 times)

wolfman

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Going to go with HP, one final question to ask
    « on: December 16, 2010, 05:34:52 PM »
    After hearing what people here told me here, I've decided to go with an HP desktop. I'm sticking in the $500 range. Am I OK with the AMD Quadcore processor or go with the Intel Pentium, both 2.8 GHz. And I guess another question, the AMD has 4GB of DDR3 holds up to 8GB, and the Intel has 4GB also but it is DDR2 and thats the max it will hold. I thought everything now is going with DDR3? Is there that much of a drop off from DDR3 to DDR2, esp if I can't add more?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Going to go with HP, one final question to ask
    « Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 05:43:35 PM »
    32-bit Operating System won't support more than about 3GB RAM, so 8GB does nothing for you unless you use 64-bit OS.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Going to go with HP, one final question to ask
    « Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 12:19:00 AM »
    32-bit Windows Operating System won't support more than about 3GB RAM, so 8GB does nothing for you unless you use 64-bit OS.

FTFY. the limitation is an artificial one implemented for driver compatibility by MS; 32-bit versions of Linux/BSD/etc can see 8GB+ of RAM without problems.

As far as the original question, the AMD offers more upgradability, and the RAM is slightly faster. (I've not used a PC with DDR3, my 8GB is DDR2)
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.