Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CD-ROM Drive problem  (Read 10914 times)

andylee

CD-ROM Drive problem
« on: August 09, 2005, 05:13:34 PM »
Hello,
I'm new here so please bear with me...Thanks!!! :)
My problem is--- whenever I put a disk in the CD-ROM drive, a window opens that says:
Please insert a disk into drive m  
This is what I have:
HP Pavilion 9870
Windows ME
60 G HD
384 mb Ram
CD-Rom - Misumi CR-48x5te
DVD-ROM-Samsung SD-612
When I insert any cd (I have tried numerous ones) into the CD Rom drive, the light blinks green for a few seconds and then does a flashing orange light.
I have checked and triple check all the cables hooked to each drive and they seem to be secure.
Any ideas?  You help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Anida

Raptor

Re: CD-ROM Drive problem
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 05:57:27 PM »
When has this problem started?

Make certain the CD-ROM drive is enabled in the device manager. Is there an exclamanation point or a question mark? If so, what is the error  code?

To access the device manager in Windows XP:

1. Right click on My Computer
2. Select Properties
3. Go to the Hardware tab
4. Select Device manager under the Device manager section

andylee

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 07:58:24 AM »
Thank you for responding.  This problem started about a month ago when I tried to install a game for my grand kids. I then tried other CDs and nothing worked. I am in college full time and didn't have time to work on this problem before now.
I did go into the device manager and it listed the drives and said that all was working properly.
I also have scanned disk and defragged, scanned for viruses and spyware. Also scanned with Ad-Aware SE.
Hope this info will help.
Anida :)

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 08:59:39 AM »
Does it read none of your CD-ROMs or only a specific kind? Are these copied CD-ROMs?

andylee

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 10:05:37 AM »
It does not read any and these are all purchased CDs from a store.  It also doesn't read any copied ones.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 10:11:30 AM »
CD-Rom - Misumi CR-48x5te - Does not function
DVD-ROM-Samsung SD-612 - Functions

I suppose for now, you could use the DVD-ROM.

Sometimes drives need cleaning...depends if you have a lot of dust in the room or are a smoker.  They make drive cleaners.  It looks like a CD with a small brush glued to it.

andylee

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 03:10:37 PM »
CD-Rom - Misumi CR-48x5te - Does not function
DVD-ROM-Samsung SD-612 - Functions-but only plays DVDs and not CDs.....?????   ???

I also hooked up an extra CD-Rom drive in place of the Misumi and it reacts the same...flashing green and then a fast flashing orange light.

I cleaned both original drives with an Endust CD/DVD Lens Cleaner. Still not working.

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005, 03:28:21 PM »
Strange ram setup>another issue>right click on the my computer icon.....click properties.......<device manager> now click the cdrom drive+ sign ..now click properties click settings and if the dma box is not ticked..........then tick it........then do the same for the dvd drive...........or

scanreg/restore..........posted back........before this command is executed.........
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 03:29:25 PM by merlin_2 »

andylee

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005, 04:44:54 PM »
DMA was already ticked on both

What do you mean by:       scanreg/restore..........posted back........before this command is executed.........
Thanks for responding.

andylee

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2005, 10:40:04 AM »
 :)Bump up! ;)

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2005, 11:28:30 AM »
I am out of ideas. If I were you, I would take the CD-ROM drive out and test it in another computer. If it still does not work, replace it.

andylee

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2005, 12:56:23 PM »
I had installed an extra cd-rom drive that I had on hand and it reacted the same way. This leads me to think that it is something other than the drives(both m &n). Do you think that maybe it is the cables or the board that they are plugged into? I have no way to check either of these in an electrical way.
Anyway, than you so much for trying to help me. I appreciate it.
Anida :)

squirrel

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2005, 01:03:13 PM »
it might be the cable.

Raptor

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2005, 01:46:06 PM »
Yes, try using another IDE/ATA flat ribbon cable. Or connect it to the secundairy channel.

merlin_2

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2005, 02:46:07 PM »
What software program are you using to play cd audio disks?