Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: questions about replacing windows xp with a newer os  (Read 2440 times)

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

questions about replacing windows xp with a newer os
    « on: January 04, 2011, 11:57:04 AM »
    I didnt know where else to put this thread, because it involves windows xp, and windows 7, and drivers.

Computer is a hp pavilion ze4325us.  It came originally with windows XP.  I had some viruses on it, and decided to do a reinstall.  Now I wanted to put windows 7 as the new operating system, given that I had put 1GB ram in this.  Windows 7 started loading, but the display was all blotchy and not full screen either.  Anyways, windows 7 installed completely, and loaded almost al the drivers automatically.  The only two drivers it couldnt load were multimedia controller and graphic controller.  Usually after the os is loaded and there are missing drivers, I uninstall those devices which have the yellow marks and then scan for hardware changes from within device manager, but for some reason this didnt work.

Anyways, next I decided to load windows xp again, but the installation continued until 8 minutes were left in the process, and then I got a BSOD, that said

IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

So question is why was the windows 7 installation able to complete successfully whereas the windows XP install could not?

If I do decide to use windows 7 as my os, where can i get the missing drivers?

What decides whether a computer can work with one OS and not another?

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: questions about replacing windows xp with a newer os
    « Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 07:26:33 PM »
    This is pretty old laptop and as I can see here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&docname=c00001894&product=308113&, there are no drivers for Windows 7.
    Besides, the processor is rather slow and 1GB of RAM (max) is not enough to run Win 7 properly.