Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Vista only boots on safe mode and stays crashed  (Read 4661 times)

MICA

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Windows Vista only boots on safe mode and stays crashed
    « on: February 09, 2011, 11:56:24 PM »
    The OS is Windows Vista Home Premium .32.  Windows 6.
    The machine is an Acer Aspire T 690 -desktop.
    Vista Service Package 1 was installed twice following directions from Acer and both times caused serious problems, then was reinstalled, following Microsoft directions and, using a new disc provided by Microsoft, was installed again.

When the Vista SP2 was released, the installation failed, in the same manner SP1 had failed. When Windows 7 was released, I was still trying to install SP2 successfully. Windows Support advised to download and install Windows 7 anyway. It was downloaded, but the computer rejected the installation.

After that, Acer Support recommended to reinstall both SP packages and start the whole process again. I did it and the installations failed again. System Restore has been used many times.

I decided to stop trying to install the SP2 (I think the SP1 finally went well) and forget about Windows 7 and had no major problems for a time, but now it is impossible to make it work. This is what happened:

1.   After a brief session on safe mode, the system restarted again on safe mode, and, since then, it only boots on safe mode.

2.      I clicked on F12, all drivers were checked and a message came informing me that System C and System D volumes were clean!

3.     I clicked the restart button. It restarted IN SAFE MODE.

4.     I made a system restore and guess what: safe mode again after restart!

5.     I made several system recoveries with the disk provided by Microsoft, but the system always restarted on safe mode.

The CD-DVD starts and runs inside the computer but nothing shows in the screen. Of course, MANY tasks, services and processes are not available in safe mode and a connection to the Internet is impossible.
             The final message reads:
    Exception Eole SysError in module ACER(N~I.SCR at 0004C6BD. Class not registered. At clicking O.K, the black screen with the words safe mode on each corner returns. At clicking Ctrl Alt Del the screen with the Windows logo shows, but the only options are restart and shut down.  A dialog box headed administrator:cmd.exe reads the name and copyright of the system  Cplus:\Windows\system32>.  I have typed several commands after that but I really have no idea what is the right one. The process repeats itself once and again.
          THE TASK BAR IS NOT AVAILABLE.  If  I could click on the Start button I could do something! 

Would somebody help me please? This is the worse of the many problems this Windows Vista OS  has provided me with. I am begging for help from a Windows 98 SE that I still have because NOBODY wants it! This "ancient, obsolete" system is working very well indeed. How ironic!

Any guidance for me to get my Windows Vista to work again will be very, very much appreciated!

Thank you,

MICA

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows Vista only boots on safe mode and stays crashed
    « Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 12:24:12 AM »
    This maybe a hardware problem. Let me explain why I say that.
    The SP2 failed.
    The Windows 7 failed.
    Two different OS did not install properly. In both cases you tried more that once and got inconstant errors.
    The most likely thing is a failure of :
    1. The RAM.
    2. The Hard drive.
    3. The Power supply unit.

If it was heat related problem, you would have noticed some pattern to the failures. But that is still a possibility.
    Just a hunch. Have you ever replaced the CMOS battery? Have you ever have a problem losing BIOS settings? Are you using the recommended settings?

Here is a trick I use sometimes when things go wrong. I use a minimal Live Linux CD, one that does not need a Hard drive to run.  My favorite is Puppy. (Of course you want download and burn  it on a reliable machine.)
    http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

If the problem machine can boot puppy, the hardware is mostly good.
    If not...bad news. :'(

MICA

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 01:18:25 AM »
      Thank you, Hacker!

Since nothing can surprise me regarding Windows Vista, I am open to any suggestions. I would like to be able to check the RAM but how can I do that without  starting Windows normally?
         Since the computer is new, had Vista already installed when I bought it, and have no partitions, a hard drive failure seems improbable. However I would like to check that and the power supply but I do not know how to do it  by opening the box. I am not a computer technician, just an operator. And how can I check the BIOS settings for verification without being able to reboot the system normally?
          I'll try to find a copy of the Live Linux "Puppy" CD. I hope I will be able to see the results on the screen of the computer I am consulting about.
          Thanks again,

MICA

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 01:25:17 AM »
      You will need a friend to help you make a CD of Puppy. It does not require any hard drive space.
      To change boot order, if needed, hit a key ester the BIOS
      http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000192.htm
      The above link has some information