Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: SEND delays  (Read 3179 times)

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

SEND delays
    « on: February 22, 2011, 04:46:42 PM »
    The system is windows 98SE. I composed an email in Yahoo and then clicked on SEND. The circle started to rotate at the top RH. A message appeared down on the LH bottom 'date transmission to no.bc.yahoo.com' and this went on for minutes. A message showed the email had been saved some time before but when I tried to SAVE nothing happened, presumedly because the SEND was still being processed. I copied the email to Word and then shut down and re-booted. The SEND worked this time. I have had this problem before. I expect that it is because of something I am doing - what?

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: SEND delays
    « Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 06:06:27 AM »
    This is free Yahoo! Mail account, right?  You use your web browser for email, right? So, where does the no.bc.yahoo.com come into play here?

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 02:10:59 AM »
      I am using Firefox. I draft an email in Yahoo and then click on SEND. Normally Done comes up on the bottom LH panel while Message Sent comes up near the top LH. However, when the problem occurs, no.bc.yahoo.com comes up and the Message Sent does not  and the circle in the RH top keeps going around.

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 09:58:55 AM »
      Unfortunately, I don't know what's causing that and I could not find good references on this problem.  Here's a forum topic which is basically the same problem but the topic got no replies.  See http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r19121294-yahoo.com-hangs-on-us.bc.yahoo.com-

Are you using any malware protection programs.  A discussion at http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061003221600AATMMBK suggests scanning for malware. 

You know, I'm sure, that Win 98SE is getting quite old.  Not many spyware/malware/antivirus programs still support it.  If you have enough drive space and have 512MB or more of RAM, you could install a Linux OS such as Ubuntu in a dual-boot configuration and try using the Linux OS when browsing the web.  I can't say for sure that that would solve the problem but it could be a solution if malware is the issue here.

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 05:31:34 PM »
        I agree that it is probably due to malware. I run Spybot - Search & Destroy but the problem still occurs. I have a related problem with DELETE in that on occasions when I click on it 'Read ade.yming.com' comes up down at the bottom LH and 'Loading .....' appears up top. This can go on for minutes. I can get rid of it by re-booting.

I have another computer with Windows 7. I believe my best move is to always use it for Internet and this one for Word and Excel. I have been slow in transferring to the new computer because I have been using this one for over a decade so was familiar with its mode of operation. However, problems are now making it difficult to use. Often now, an error message crops up and response stops as I am trying to interrogate a site. It reads 'Warning: Unresponsive script. Script on this page may be busy.' I have to click on 'Stop script' or 'continue' to get rid of the message.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 07:07:02 PM »
        I am using Firefox.
        Try this suggestion courtesy from http://noscript.net/faq#qa3_7

Q:   I've got troubles with Yahoo / Yahoo! Mail, but they go away when I disable NoScript or allow scripts globally. What should I do to selectively allow Yahoo?
        A:   You just need to allow the following entries from the NoScript contextual menu:

• yahoo.com
          • yimg.com
          [/list]

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 09:20:26 PM »
          I have another computer with Windows 7. I believe my best move is to always use it for Internet and this one for Word and Excel.
          Yes, I wholeheartedly agree with that.  And, if your version of Microsoft Office will run with Windows 7, just install it on the newer system and make a complete transition. 

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 10:26:55 PM »
            Noscript cannot be installed for my version of Firefox 2.20 which is the latest that can be installed with Windows 98. It seems that I cannot avoid these problems with such an old system. I have procrastinated in transferring to the Windows 7 computer because I have so much on the 98 computer that needs organizing yet I am very busy meeting commitments. Thank you for the advice and i will get on with the job!