Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Why does my old music play crappy now on new computer?  (Read 1907 times)

Kaisermust

Why does my old music play crappy now on new computer?
« on: March 06, 2011, 08:09:09 AM »
My tech guy transferred all my old music (80+ songs) from old Dell Dimension 4100 with Soundblaster audio card to new Dell Inspiron I580 with integrated sound card.  My new OPS is Windows 7.  Have great Altec Lansing speakers with subwoofer and old music used to play fantastic quality, rattle-the-windows stereo.  On new computer they play like CRAP now--they play slower (like they're not playing at the right RPM's), tinny and sometimes muffled.  Is this all because of the lack of a Soundblaster sound card? I did download a new song from the web and it plays correctly, just not as rich and stereo-quality as before so I can see where a better sound card will make a difference.  Tech guy says I should buy a Soundblaster card for my new computer but will that fix the problems with my old music (downloaded in the Napster-free days). Don't want to lose all my old music, I want them to play like before.  Thanks for any suggestions.  ???

milesrf

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Re: Why does my old music play crappy now on new computer?
    « Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 03:35:49 PM »
    Integrated sound systems tend to be of lower quality than separate sound cards.

Does your new computer have a slot suitable for simply moving the old sound card to your new computer?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Why does my old music play crappy now on new computer?
    « Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 03:45:43 PM »
    This sounds like a driver or driver setting issue. My integrated card and my separate sound card both sound great.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.