Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: cannot bypass color inks for black and white copy  (Read 6677 times)

suny

cannot bypass color inks for black and white copy
« on: March 14, 2011, 01:46:44 PM »
Hello-I have a HP Photosmart C5100 all-in-one series printer which is NOT hooked up with my computer. HP was no help as no longer under warranty so I hope I may get answer here.I have tried to set the control to grayscale but do not have that option. I purchased a brand new HP black and white ink cartridge and when i try to make a black and white copy it keeps coming up that I need to replace 2 of my color ink cartridges which I do not want to do.  I have removed all my colored inks,turned it off,unplugged the unit etc. etc. and nothing seems to work. I think i READ SOMEWHERE LONG TIME AGO that you can trick the copier into thinking that the color inks are full therefore being able to print a copy. Why cannot I bypass w/o having to buy colored ink which i cannot afford and make a copy. It looks like i have to make copies at a copy center :( Thx in advance :)

harry 48

Egghead

• lay back , relax and chill out
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Dribbling Pensioner
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: cannot bypass color inks for black and white copy
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 02:03:09 PM »
if you have picasa 3 you can change it to b/w

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 02:26:18 PM »
There is no way around this. You cannot bypass the requirement to have adequate colored/coloured ink present, even if you are only doing grayscale/greyscale printing. This is by design. I think Harry 48 did not read the question properly.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 02:33:55 PM »
Salmon Trout says you can not do it.
He is nearly always right. Still, some say there is a workaround
Have you done a search?
How to Fix HP Printer
Will bring up some ideas.
General discussion:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4999655_fix-hp-printer-errors.html
But you want specific info about how to make in k look full.
http://www.instructables.com/answers/How-can-I-make-my-printer-see-the-ink-level-as-not/

This problem common with HP printers. It happens to me too. Both my HP printers. But I don't have your model.

Look in you documentation. There is a way to force it to print with near empty cartilage(s). But the cartilages have to be in the printer.

harry 48

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Dribbling Pensioner
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 02:47:38 PM »
There is no way around this. You cannot bypass the requirement to have adequate colored/coloured ink present, even if you are only doing grayscale/greyscale printing. This is by design. I think Harry 48 did not read the question properly.

hi salmon , what your saying ( i think ) if you have a colour photo and you set it to b/w for printing it won't print it unless you have the right ink installed .

i can bypass it on my epson but thats unrelated

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 02:56:20 PM »
Inkjets work by boiling a small amount of ink in a chamber just behind each printhead nozzle. The bubble of ink vapor expands rapidly and forces the tiny amount of liquid ink ahead of it through the nozzle and onto the paper. What keeps the printhead from burning out is the cooling effect of the fresh ink being drawn from the cartridge. The trouble is that inkjets periodically park the printheads and "purge" (flush) (clear) (unclog) all of the printhead nozzles using -- guess what? -- ink! It is fired into a sponge reservoir. If you hack the printer so it thinks a cartridge has ink when it is, in fact, empty, then this purge operation will burn out the heads which are not getting any ink. If you could cancel the purges you will get clogged heads. Yes, this uses up ink. You can print nothing but black but your colored ink will still get used up. This is why I have a $65 Canon mono laser, which is still on the first toner cartridge after 2 years.

So if you want mono copies buy some colored ink or get a mono laser.

harry 48

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Dribbling Pensioner
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 03:36:26 PM »
good man salmon , i knew you would come up with a very good answer  ;)

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 04:46:38 PM »
good man salmon , i knew you would come up with a very good answer  ;)

Thank you kindly

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 08:54:55 AM »
Also, you can put something  in the empty color cartridges.
- try  toothpaste.  :P