Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vista Upgrade  (Read 5919 times)

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Keep Canada beautiful. Swallow your beer cans.
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
Vista Upgrade
« on: March 23, 2011, 11:48:38 PM »
When attempting to upgrade from Win XP Professional Service Pack 3 MCE to Vista Home Premium I receive a message as follows; Windows cannot determine if another operating system exists on your computer. Try repairing boot configuration and then begin the installation again.

I've shown my current Boot.ini file directly below and below my current file I've shown what Microsoft Support calls a Sample Boot.ini file.
If I configure my current Boot.ini file to read exactly as the Sample Boot.ini file, will this allow me to continue the installation, or are other additions required, or?. Also please note; timeout =3 vs timeout =30 ??
Thank You, overthehill

My current Boot.ini file.

[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
UnsupportedDebug="do not select this" /debug
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Sample Boot.ini file.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /fastdetect

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Vista Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 03:00:05 AM »
Try it with no boot.ini file.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 03:14:02 AM »
to upgrade an OS you need to run the installer from <within> the OS you are trying to upgrade.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 05:36:34 AM »
Try it with no boot.ini file.
Ignore this suggestion. Follow BC's advice.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 08:25:34 AM »
to upgrade an OS you need to run the installer from <within> the OS you are trying to upgrade.

Thanks. The message (Windows cannot determine etc.,as above) is initiated when I attempt to run the setup from within Windows. overthehill

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 08:31:37 AM »
Okay, then just delete these two lines:

The upgrade is probably trying to figure out what the Recovery Console boot option is. And since Vista doesn't have a recovery console the line would be obsolete anyway.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 08:35:53 AM »

Okay, then just delete these two lines:

The upgrade is probably trying to figure out what the Recovery Console boot option is. And since Vista doesn't have a recovery console the line would be obsolete anyway.

Thanks Allan. I'll give that a shot.overthehill

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 01:55:19 PM »
Thanks Allan. I'll give that a shot. overthehill

Update. Took your advice Allan and that did the trick, Thanks.

But now that I got past that, and quite a few other things, I'm hoping that someone can help me with another concern or two with my "Vista Upgrade". This time regarding "sound". Quite a long read but I'd like to explain.

I'll start here; after noticing the little speaker in the Task Bar had a red X, I checked in Device Manager for my sound card device (SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC) which was there. Next I downloaded a "Vista" driver from SigmaTel and the red X in the Task Bar was gone. Thought my problem was cured. Next, I attempted to play a tune in Winamp , the app.ran but no sound. I played with the speaker and headphones to PC cables and found that when I plug either into the (blue) port I now hear the sound nicely?. The next thing that I did was to go back into Device Manager and it appears that (SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC) has been replaced by High Definition Audio Device. (I've attached two png.files that show this.)
The other thing that you will notice under Other Devices is; FCDABIOS (2003) device EnumeratorOO has a yellow flag. This same file ,(only shown in 2.png)is also in System Devices and there the file appears OK?
I have no idea what the FCDA etc. file is? Can't find a driver anywhere for it when asked. Couldn't find anything in Google either?. I have received a desk top message telling me that something is wrong with this file.

Getting back to SigmaTel. I found the folder and tried to run "setup" and I receive the message; Error, Reason Unknown?

I've been wondering at times if maybe I should have stuck with XP ;D. Seriously though, if I can get this stuff straightened out, "Vista" looks OK :).

Anyway, any suggestions on this?. Thanks, overthehill

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 02:27:35 PM »
After installing Vista did you install all Vista compatible drivers, starting with the chipset driver?

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 02:45:53 PM »
After installing Vista did you install all Vista compatible drivers, starting with the chipset driver?

Thanks Geek. No I didn't because it was strictly an upgrade. 99% of everything transferred over OK. Is this the 1% that didn't. I didn't go for a clean install because I didn't want to have to reload everything. overthehill

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 03:06:52 PM »
You need to download and install Vista compatible drivers, starting with the chipset driver. Get the drivers from the OEM websites, not from Windows Update. And I'm not Geek.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 03:22:47 PM »
You need to download and install Vista compatible drivers, starting with the chipset driver. Get the drivers from the OEM websites, not from Windows Update. And I'm not Geek.

Thanks Allan and sorry about the mix up. I inadvertently opened a message from Geek (from this thread) and the first thing that I saw was your answer. Should have paid more attention  :-[
Drivers from OEM websites? (can you please explain?)  overthehill

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 03:27:58 PM »
Go to the website of your computer manufacturer (or motherboard manufacturer) for the chipset driver. Then go to the website of your various hardware manufacturers for their drivers (ie, nvida or ati for video, creative labs if you have a soundblaster card, etc).

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 03:31:28 PM »
Go to the website of your computer manufacturer (or motherboard manufacturer) for the chipset driver. Then go to the website of your various hardware manufacturers for their drivers (ie, nvida or ati for video, creative labs if you have a soundblaster card, etc).
  Thanks a million Allan. overthehill

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 03:33:35 PM »
You're welcome :)