Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Think my personal computer has been hacked, personal message on wallpaper. Help!  (Read 4154 times)

golden2298

I am the only user of my personal computer (Dell desktop computer with windows xp-6 years old) and when I logged in someone wrote, "....ra (my daughters name) is great" across the wallpaper of my desktop. I am assuming it has been hacked but I don't know how.  I have McAfee Virus Scan and I also have run a malware virus scan prior to this event on the Microsoft Website. Do I need to change my ip address or the password to log in to my computer to fix this problem. Please help!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
none of those things. Look locally for the problem.

Consider the following scenario; if you encounter a tree that says "Tim Rules" Do you assume that it was engraved by a band of evil terrorists in an attempt to control trees everywhere, or do you assume it's some juvenile named Tim? Usually the latter, of course. Basically, you are drawing conclusions based on incomplete information. If you want to be really sure you should run through the guide found in the malware section and post a new topic with the appropriate logfiles there.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

garraway

Starter

If the name was one you recognize, it is most probably from someone you know, have you asked your daughter (an other family members)?  Also, you can check the properties of the file and find out when it was modified.

regards

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Whoever did this is not gonna answer " yes ...it was me..."
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "