Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer fast in Safe mode  (Read 14228 times)

Brandy

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
    Computer fast in Safe mode
    « on: April 13, 2011, 11:31:29 AM »
    Hi, I just installed a new Dell ST2420L monitor, this monitor is a great deal but we sure pay for it in the lack of information included with it, even the CD supplied needs an expert to use. (I have 40 years experience)  I need drivers to get this monitor to work outside of "Safe Mode"  There is a problem somewhere, I have an Asus P5AD2-E Premium M/B, ATI Radeon X700 pro 256 Mb ram. My problem is that when not in safe mode the monitor keeps shutting off, going to black randomly, also the internet is very slow when in regular mode, in safe mode everything works fine.  When I go to the Dell site I am tricked into downloading a program that I would have to pay $49.00 CD to get the drivers it says I need.  I have paid in the past for programs that don't deliver. Would you please help me?

Thanks
    Brandy

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Computer fast in Safe mode
    « Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 12:05:59 PM »
    First of all, the display should be plug and play. Second, the cd you got with the display should include the driver. Third, how is the display connected (DVI or Analog)?

Brandy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 12:29:32 PM »
      I have the display connected DVI to HDMI, the only cable I have other than VGA,  I had this problem for a while now, I bought this monitor because my Viewsonic CRT was getting too hard on my eyes, I had tried my wife's Acer LCD and that's when I first began to get black screens on the monitor, I had been using VGA on the CRT monitor without problem, although I noticed two things happening, the opening of webpages was much slower on my computer in regular mode, but quicker in safe mode,  and in regular mode the computer tower fan would stop after about 10 minutes of use in regular mode but not at all in safe mode.  I have updated ATI drivers on the AMD site but things only get worst, I am now using the original drivers on the ATI CD that came with the display card.  I am contacting you using safe mode since it works OK.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 05:44:34 PM »
      Monitors don't need drivers to function properly.  If display is working better in Safe Mode, the issue is the ATI Radeon X700 pro.  Get the latest drivers for your OS.
      http://support.amd.com/us/certified/graphics-cards/Pages/listing.aspx

Brandy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 07:24:09 PM »
        I can not find the correct drivers for my ATI Radeon X700 Pro 256MB GDDR3 memory on this page or anywhere else, when ever I find a product which is even close it (does not exist) or is not available.

ATI is now owned by AMD and I have had no luck on their website either.

Please keep trying, I will check back here often.

Brandy

Brandy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 08:52:22 PM »
          I can not find the correct drivers for my ATI Radeon X700 Pro 256MB GDDR3 memory on this page or anywhere else, when ever I find a product which is even close it (does not exist) or is not available.

ATI is now owned by AMD and I have had no luck on their website either.

Please keep trying, I will check back here often.

Brandy

I finally found a version that will load, but I still don't think it is working right, webpages take up to 20 seconds to view, in safe mode they take 2 to 3 seconds at most.  This happens even if it is a page I load exit and reload, so I will keep looking for the problem.

I have used three monitors, two graphic cards, tested the power supply, downloaded a BIOS update from ASUS, I'll give it a go again tomorrow.
          Thanks for your suggestions
          Brandy

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          « Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 12:54:16 PM »
          Finally found the correct driver because it's now considered a Legacy product:  Catalyst Software Suite ver 10.2  75.6MB download.
          Radeon X700 series is listed under the Release notes.

Brandy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 04:08:52 PM »
            Thank you very much, I will give it a try, I just cloned my computer to a new HD and am going to switch drives when I finish this reply.

Brandy

Brandy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 08:12:51 PM »
              I was really impressed with Acronis True Image, I had used it for backup and never used it besides that, today I deleted my backup and then found out I could not make a new full backup, I don't know why, so I decided to clone my computer drive onto my backup SATA drive, I simply let the automatic function take over and it made a complete duplicate on my backup SATA drive, I then had two drives with the same information, the only difference was the SATA drive is much larger and faster.  I removed the old drive then installed the new drive and rebooted everything was there and worked exactly like before, still fast in safe mode and slow in reg. mode.  I did install the CAT 10.2 without any problems, so far the monitor has not gone black, but my problems always are worst when I boot up in the morning, so I guess we'll see tomorrow.

Thank you very much for helping

God bless you

Brandy

Brandy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 09:16:41 AM »
                Good Morning to everyone,

I booted the computer and everything appeared OK, when I came back to it an hour later it had a black screen, I had to reboot to write this, I had last night changed a setting in the bios concerning the hard disk, the default was 32 bit transfer - disabled, and I had enabled it to see if there was a difference, it ran all night enabled, before shutting down I reset it to the default, disabled, I am not sure what this is for but I now have it set to enabled.

My upgraded so far are, new hard drive, changed graphics card and latest drivers, upgraded AVG 9.0 to AVG 2011 with all updates,new cables, new monitor (Dell ST2420L) connected DVI -  HDMI, I have even added 1GB ram, giving me 4GB total ram.

I want to include more information but need advice on what is necessary

Thanks again

Brandy

I'll check back after choir practice.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                « Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 10:56:41 AM »
                1.  I booted the computer and everything appeared OK, when I came back to it an hour later it had a black screen, I had to reboot to write this, I had last night changed a setting in the bios concerning the hard disk, the default was 32 bit transfer - disabled, and I had enabled it to see if there was a difference, it ran all night enabled, before shutting down I reset it to the default, disabled, I am not sure what this is for but I now have it set to enabled.

2.  I did install the CAT 10.2 without any problems, so far the monitor has not gone black, but my problems always are worst when I boot up in the morning, so I guess we'll see tomorrow...
                1.  Enable 32-Bit Hard Disk Transfers
                Black screen could be due to Power Save settings:  Control Panel---Power Options

2.  You didn't say if you are in Safe Mode or Normal Mode.

Brandy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 01:58:40 PM »
                  Thanks for the information about 32 bit trasnfer, I was and am in regular mode now, so far eveything runs fine, but really slow, example, my wife's computer is wireless to the router I am wired to and she access the same sites as me in 2-3 seconds, while I sometimes take 30 seconds, even accessing within my PC seems slow and unstable, example, when I access the ATI  screen to make adjustments or even to look at the settings the screen appears in stages, I have never seen this before. Catalyst Control Center takes at least 2 stages to appear, and if I drag it across the screen it is smeared until after I drop it somewhere.   Is there a test for the motherboard, I have an Assus P5AD2-E Premium.

Thanks
                  Brandy

patio

• Genius
                  • Maud' Dib
                    • Yes
                  • Experience: Beginner
                  « Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 02:04:18 PM »
                  I still think you have some driver conflicts/issues...
                  Any Yellow !!'s in control panel ? ?
                  " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                  « Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 02:41:59 PM »
                  1.  My problem is that when not in safe mode the monitor keeps shutting off, going to black randomly,
                  2.  also the internet is very slow when in regular mode, in safe mode everything works fine.
                  3.  I have an Asus P5AD2-E Premium M/B, ATI Radeon X700 pro 256 Mb ram.
                  1.  Is this fixed now?
                  2.  Is this the remaining issue?
                  3.  Are you using the Asus chipset drivers?
                  http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5AD2E_Premium/#download
                  LAN:  Marvell VCT package V2.1.3.3 for Windows 2000/XP

I'm with patio on this one.

Brandy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 03:16:27 PM »
                    I still think you have some driver conflicts/issues...
                    Any Yellow !!'s in control panel ? ?

If you are refering to Device Manager, no

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]