Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Old computer boot up problem  (Read 3615 times)

a29zuk

Old computer boot up problem
« on: April 15, 2011, 06:28:05 PM »
A couple of months ago I found a computer in the basement at work. The company was doing housekeeping and wanted to throw it out. I asked them if I could use it instead of throwing it out and they snickered because it was so old. Well I fired it up and it booted! It had DOS 5.0 on it and I had the perfect program for it to use at work. We needed a labeling program to print out wire labels. I still had an old DOS label program on a floppy disk from the previous company I had worked for so I loaded it on the C drive.  I wrote a batch file and the program loaded right up when I fired up the computer. We got super busy at work so the I sat the computer in the corner of shop as I was waiting for things to slow down a bit and I still needed a parallel printer cable to try it out. Fast forward a couple of months. When I boot up the computer now, I get three errors and no operating system. The errors are "bad or missing c:\dos\ansi.sys", "error in config.sys line 4", and "incorrect DOS version". I downloaded a DOS 5.0 bootable floppy disk from the internet that works fine on my home computer but says "non bootable disk" on the computer at work. I don't know if anyone on another shift messed with the computer or a least they won't fess up to it, but I am stuck.
Heck, these old computers are fun to play with in my spare time.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Old computer boot up problem
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 06:42:37 PM »