Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Did a big company hack my email???  (Read 27671 times)

milo

Did a big company hack my email???
« on: April 17, 2011, 01:37:01 PM »
Ok, this is what happened. I had a yahoo email account/start page for years and the otherday my wife got an email that looked like it came from my yahoo email account.
It didn't have a message but a link.  Seeing that it was from me she opened it. I saw the email and it looked like it was from me but it wasn't from me. The link was spam from a Canadian online pharmacy.
Seeing this weird email made me go to the spot on yahoo that lets you see if you are the only one logging into your start page/email. All of the ISP numbers were from me except for one.  So I pasted the ISP into an ISP look-up place and the number showed that it came from a software manufacturer in california. Apparently this company is big enough have an individual ISP number.

I am not going to show the actual ISP in California unless a mod says it is ok.

So my question is, is it possible for someone to hack your email and make it look like their ISP number belongs to someone else? 

Thanks for any answers

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Did a big company hack my email???
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 02:33:50 PM »
http://www.gvrd.com/canadian_online_pharmacy_scam/index.html

SCAM ALERT!: Canadian Internet Pharmacy Scam & Fraudulent
Emails ...

With the growing popularity of Canadian Internet Pharmacies (Links: Canadian Internet Pharmacy News, Canadian Internet Pharmacy Directory) with American citizens (because generally, they can buy their prescription drugs from Canada much cheaper than they can from pharmacy companies located within their own country)... a scam/fraud has emerged that you need to be vigilant of if you plan on doing business with a Canadian Pharmacy... (SEE ALSO: Govt. of Canada Internet Pharmacy warning).
I don't know anything more other that what is in the link above.

milo

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 03:20:04 PM »
I don't know anything more other that what is in the link above.
Thanks, that looks like what happened..I must admit that I HAD been real sloppy with my internet info in the past but that won't happen again.... And, after doing some research and just opening my eyes I realize that the internet spends lots of time watching me while I am looking at it.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 03:58:08 PM »
I'd advise running full scans with anti virus and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. A lot of viruses do this sort of thing.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 04:01:20 PM »
Get another e-mail address. Give it out to associates who are wise and trustworthy.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 04:30:03 PM »
Looking like it came from you and being from you are 2 very different things...

You only need to insert 1 character in a spoofed email addy and 98% of people would not catch it...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

milo

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 04:39:02 PM »
I'd advise running full scans with anti virus and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. A lot of viruses do this sort of thing.
I ran a panda scan , malware, and MIcro trend house call. Nothing came up.

milo

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 04:40:54 PM »
Get another e-mail address. Give it out to associates who are wise and trustworthy.
I did that and lots more. Thanks!

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 04:41:59 PM »
I wouldn't be overly concerned. I have 8 or 10 email accounts (business and personal) and every once in a while I'll get a spam from one of those accounts. Nothing viral, just an ad. Your email address is obviously not private and spoofing an email address couldn't be easier.

milo

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 04:50:56 PM »
Looking like it came from you and being from you are 2 very different things...

You only need to insert 1 character in a spoofed email addy and 98% of people would not catch it...
I will never know that one because we dumped the email.. I am done with it...hopefully. Bottomline..if it happens again I am one of those people that will shoot holes in all my computers and go on with my life.

Thanks again.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 05:39:17 PM »
..if it happens again I am one of those people that will shoot holes in all my computers and go on with my life.
Really, that is what might have to do. Identity theft is a crime that is not quite understood. It one of the few crimes, if not the only one,  were the victim is always guilty and can not prove his innocence because the Banks and Credit Card firms es are in conclusion* with the criminals.
E-mail spoofing can be a stepping stone to bigger things. The Chase Bank spoofs were so widespread that the Bank had to go public and warn people. It was out of control.

*Collusion. This the term might be hard to clarify. But it means just what you think in means in this context.
If you want protection from your Credit Card company, you have to ask for it. Really. Not a joke. In the USA you have to ask for it. Failure to do so you  thus are giving them the opportunity to work with the criminals. That is, in effect, collusion.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 05:57:42 PM »
Really, that is what might have to do.

We're talking about E-mail headers being spoofed or E-mail accounts being accessed.

Not banking or financial sites.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 07:09:56 PM »
We're talking about E-mail headers being spoofed or E-mail accounts being accessed.
Not banking or financial sites.
Are you sure? Really sure?
My research indicates hundreds of references that put them together.
Are you saying:
Bombs are not related to terrorists.
Hygiene is not related to disease.
Water has nothing to due with famine.

Or maybe, guns don't kill people?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 03:56:55 AM »
Are you saying:
Bombs are not related to terrorists.
Hygiene is not related to disease.
Water has nothing to due with famine.

Or maybe, guns don't kill people?

All true. Correlation does not imply causation.

-Bombs/dynamite are used in mining operations. following your logic all miners are terrorists.
-hygiene isn't related to disease, but germs/bacteria/viruses are, and good hygiene tends to eliminate that from the equation. Having good or bad hygiene doesn't mean you will or will not get sick.'
-while a drought, if long enough, will cause a famine, so too can lack of arable land and early frosts, regardless of the water supply.

-Guns don't kill people without somebody using it. It's like saying that shovels dig holes. They don't, people dig holes using shovels, and you don't need a shovel to dig a hole; it just makes it easier. Same story for firearms.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 06:05:14 AM »
-Guns don't kill people without somebody using it. It's like saying that shovels dig holes. They don't, people dig holes using shovels, and you don't need a shovel to dig a hole; it just makes it easier. Same story for firearms.

Are you are lawyer, by any chance, BC?