Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Adding guest internet acces to an existing wireless network  (Read 5880 times)

Doc

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • Who am I and how did I get here?
    Adding guest internet acces to an existing wireless network
    « on: April 23, 2011, 07:30:50 AM »
    Hi everyone.  I work in a small doctor's office which has an existing network, both wired and wireless.  I got handed a project to get a guest access to the Internet set up.  This is the setup we have now with 13 hard wired and 2 wireless connections.  I'm not that knowledgeable in the realm of networks so if anyone can help I'd appreciate some input.  Thanks.

Windows Server 2003
    SMC 8014 cable modem
    Linksys WRT54G
    Linksys 16 port switch

I got a Linksys E1000 wireless router for the guest access feature and was going to replace the WRT54G with it.  I got all the settings from the settings, including the static IP from our IPS, and was just going to set them into the E1000 with my local computer then switch the routers.  I then found out the guest access can only be used with the included Cisco software CD. 

Here's where I'm not sure what to do.  Can I run the CD on my local machine to set up the new router with the guest access and then switch them or will that mess up our SSID and other settings?  Should I run the software on the server instead and, if I do, will that again mess up our SSID and settings?  Should I instead add the new router to the existing setup somehow, and if so, how?

I'm not that knowledgeable in the realm of networks so if anyone can help I'd appreciate some input.  Thanks.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Adding guest internet acces to an existing wireless network
    « Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 09:28:03 PM »
    Easy setup would be to chain your routers placing the router with wifi to be shared closest to your ISP modem. Then plug your secured router off of the 4 or 5 available ports to hide your business network further upstream.
    This makes the primary router connected to your ISP modem act like a DMZ zone between the ISP and your network, to be isolated from your business network so people dont probe around your business network.

Also change the DHCP IP address range to limit how many can be connected on this router to be shared wifi for guests so you can limit how many are connected if you like and change it from the default 192.168.1.1 to something like 192.168.70.1.

I would set up the wifi router to be shared with a level of security instead of leaving it wide open so guests need to use a passphrase to get connected etc, so you can control and avoid wardrivers. Also change the SSID so it doesnt report the routers model to anyone poking around. Easiest way to hack a wifi is to detect ones that are still default names to know how to go about entry to them.

If you dont want to go with this easy method which adds a small amount of latency, you can go the route of that Cisco CD. Also you will have to create the same port forwards etc that you have on your existing main router to that of the router to be shared so that ports that need to be open are passthru such as for FTP etc.

This easy setup is one I put in place at a internet cafe where money was tight and so got by with two $70 routers and protect the business network and create a shared DMZ zone for authorized customers squatting on the wifi. Also added a system on the DMZ side to monitor for hackers probing around to kick out if caught.

Doc

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Who am I and how did I get here?
      Re: Adding guest internet acces to an existing wireless network
      « Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 09:10:18 AM »
      OK, after being online with Linksys support for about an hour I got everything working.  I took the settings from the existing WRT54G and manually put them into the E1000 using the webpage.  I then installed the Cisco Connect software per their setup info.  Then I just switched the 2 routers and everything worked!  Apparently the latest release of their software fixed several problems and it now syncs to whatever changes were made manually.  Thanks for the help.