Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer has lost all it's drives??  (Read 6743 times)

Hankster58

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Computer has lost all it's drives??
    « on: May 20, 2011, 09:41:44 AM »
    Wife came home, her computer screen was up as usual... but when she tried to open anything.... computer did nothing... just the little swirly going round. Tried to do a CTL ALT DEL to bring up task manager... nothing. Did a Hard Reboot.... and the screen says this.....
    "Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key....."
    Was able to run a diagnostic on it, from a program on it, via F9 at initial boot up...and it say Processor ok, RAM ok... then NO Drives are listed!!

So it looks like, the Computer cannot "see" the drives now! What happened?? Is this a Motherboard screw up? Computer is a Year old HP desktop.. 8 g of Ram... has the latest Phenom processor etc at the time (Quad core).... What do we do now? She hasn't located the dicks that came with it yet...

Hankster58

Topic Starter

Beginner
      Re: Computer has lost all it's drives??
      « Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 10:03:37 AM »
      Ok, did more checking... HD and CD drives DO function.. HD spins up.. put disc in CD drive and it clicks away like normal, but the COMPUTER is oblivious to them..... so even tho it SAYS put in a boot disc... and press key, I stack "any" disc in it... pressed key.. and it didn't see or read it....
      Of course, this is a Windows 7 unit!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 10:13:24 AM »
      Some historical information would help.
      The model number and the year you bought it.
      You  HP a year ago. Please give model. Out of warranty?
      Was the OS installed by the OEM?
      This is a laptop - Right?
      Never  dropped it?
      Why does it have 8GB or RAM?
      Have you ever had any problems that suggest overheating?
      What AV program do you have?

Do you have a backup and a recovery method?

Best guess is that part of the Hard drive MBR, or something like that,  got damaged.

Hankster58

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 11:20:45 AM »
        Pavillion p6320f.... Phenom2X4 quad core... Win 7 64 bit... hence 8 gigs ram.... 1 Terrabyte Western Digital HD..... OS by OEM.... Desktop tower.... Never dropped.... AV is Microsoft Security Essentials... with occasional scan via MB antimalware.. and Superantispyware.... about 18 m onths old.. no warranty now.... she's dusty inside, but hasn't missed a beat up until now....

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 05:58:56 PM »
        OK
        You have another PC that works. So burn a diagnostics CD that will boot the machine. There are lots out there.
        OR
        If you have a Windows install CD or DVD or XP, Vista to Windows 7, try to boot it up and gent into the recovery console Or at least go far enough into the install where it tells you there is or is not any hard drives found.

Hunch. Try another Hard drive instead of the Western Digital. Ask me later why. If that makes a big difference, then that is a big clue.  Even an old IDE drive, if the motherboard has an IDE channel.

If the BIOS finds any other hard drive, it puts the WD drive under suspension  as the price culprit.

JJ 3000

Egghead
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 11:37:02 PM »
        Save a Life!
        Adopt a homeless pet.
        http://www.petfinder.com/

Hankster58

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 01:30:26 PM »
          As a follow up.. sorry took so long to reply to you! Took it to local shop.. Motherboard failure...... tested all drives etc in other units, all ok... so they're putting a new board in..... but this shop seems way overworked, and these guys are SLOW on turnaround time!! AARRGH!!

Curious tho.... what's your comment on the WD hdd's???

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 02:23:17 PM »
          Curious tho.... what's your comment on the WD hdd's???
          I was not going to say anything. Both Seagate and Western Digital have had some problems with very large drives. That is over now, but it is still possible that some vendors have  old stock on the sleeves. Bit that does not apply to you. Whether  WD had more issues is debatable. The mere fact that WD has given a bit more trouble does not count in the big picture.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 08:06:56 PM »
          If it's not a Green WD HDD ther is no reason to generalise...
          That was the only Series they had issues with and i install a ton of HDD's.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 12:47:45 PM »
          Both Seagate and Western Digital have had some problems with very large drives.

Source?
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 02:48:36 PM »
          Fits of all, the OP wanted a response and I opened my mouth against my better judgment.  :-[ I should never has said anything. I was thinking out load and the words just showed up.   :-X The phone was riming. The dog was barking.

But here is a two in one link:

About a WD 2GB
          http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/formating-issues-with-a-wd-2tb-drive-cant-format/17f887ee-7689-4dc3-9237-ee7f3af2dfbd

But has a link to Sweagate
          http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=206391&NewLang=en&Hilite=

Pardon me for not making these links pretty. Does this suffice for a reference, albiet nweak?
          This issue is now dead, but at one time in was a serious issue with both companies, even tho their engineering was, one would think, fully independent. How would they both make the same mistake? The introduction oof  2GB eternal storage was a black eye for both companies. They fixed it. Each in their own way. Nobody came out the winner.
          Does this issue need to be regurgitated again?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 05:45:31 PM »
          Pardon me for not making these links pretty. Does this suffice for a reference, albiet nweak?
          No. I wanted references for how Seagate and WD drives have problems when they are very large. Both of those links discuss issues resulting from outdated NVidia chipset (SATA controller) drivers, and the same problems would be seen regardless of the brand of drive. To reiterate: the problem in both instances was a motherboard chipset driver, not the drive itself. The fact that updating said driver fixes this problem with "the drive" makes it pretty clear that the problem wasn't with the drives at all.
          but at one time in was a serious issue with both companies, even tho their engineering was, one would think, fully independent. How would they both make the same mistake?
          They didn't. The problem was in Nvidia's end, with their chipset drivers. Both the Microsoft Answers thread and the Seagate KB make this rather clear. Again, the proof that it wasn't related to the drives is pretty obvious since updating the chipset driver resolves the issue.

The introduction oof  2GB eternal storage was a black eye for both companies.
          2GB? I assume you mean 2TB, of course. Either way, the problem wasn't specific to those companies. Any other drive of the same size would have the same problems, and it was Driver level and had nothing to do with the hardware.

They fixed it. Each in their own way.
          "Update your NVidia drivers" is the "fix" for both.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 06:23:16 PM »
          Sorry for the typo.

There are and were a lot of companies that made and still make eternal USB drives with 2 TB of storage. The reports I have seen wee with regard to just Western Digital and Seagate. The problem was fixed by the companies themselves.

Users continue to report problems with the external 2TB  drives. Many appear to be user ignorance. Still, one would ask, Why market such a device i retail stores like WlaMart and Staples if the drives could only be used with special utilities provided by the manufactures?

BC_programmer, you have some experience with system level programming. Is it really hard to build an eternal interface that will give the user help with a device? Such as  as an alert saying the utility they are trying to use is not suitable for the device? You better answer yes. Something like that has already been done and you know it. It appears that the said companies made little effort to see if their stuff was compatible with what the industry was already doing. And it the users would follow the instructions. Of course, the instructions are  in the bottom of the box with a warning "Read this before opening the box."

What more links? Here are a few. Pick them apart.
          ================================
          Read the whoole thread.
          http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Other-External-products/Seagate-Expansion-2TB-Avoid-Unless-this-Problems-is-Fixed/td-p/41304

Not answered, 5 months ago.
          http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110102043905AAl48e6

No answer
          http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f16/problem-w-external-2tb-fantom-green-drive-542530.html

A signature collusion?
          http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/14582-63-cannt-connect-external-hard-drives-once

Apple user has 'stupid software' from WD?
          http://www.hackint0sh.org/f291/109483.htm
          Another Apple User
          http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1160717

Posted this year.
          http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/992257-wd-2tb-external-hard-drive.html

Many of these,if not all, are because the user does not check the documentation and stick to what the manufacture says. Still, why is it so hard for the manufacture to tell people do not use any other utilities.

Only one low end external by Seagate.
          Now mention was made about drives that did not get over three stars. Or the ones that would not work at all.
          http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/collection/1650/top_10_external_hard_drives.html

But ZDNet has a very long list.
          If it is not on the list, pass it by.
          http://www.zdnet.com/reviews/filter/external-hard-drives?categoryId=3190&filter=100021_10197437&tag=mantle_skin;content
          ==================================
          These are more or less user forums. Should I dip into the industry forms and newsletters?
          It was never my intention to hijack this thread with a dead issue. Yet users are still complaining about external 2 TB drives. Must be a lot of NVidia chip sets out there.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 08:15:46 PM »
          Wow...
          You do believe everything you read...

Utter drivel.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 09:18:46 PM »
          The reports I have seen wee with regard to just Western Digital and Seagate.
          You KEEP mentioning "reports" but all you provide links to are forum threads. Is a forum thread your idea of a report?

The problem was fixed by the companies themselves.
          Not in either of the threads you have linked so far. Both the previous "sources" were caused by outdated drivers for the SATA Controller on NForce motherboards.

Users continue to report problems with the external 2TB  drives.
          users continue to report problems with their computers as well. That's hardly evidence that all computer manufacturers are "having problems". Additionally, as I said, if anything the problem is related to the size of the drive.

Still, one would ask, Why market such a device i retail stores like WlaMart and Staples if the drives could only be used with special utilities provided by the manufactures?
          What special utilities? What are you talking about?

BC_programmer, you have some experience with system level programming.
          Drivers? somewhat.

Is it really hard to build an eternal interface that will give the user help with a device?
          WHAT DOES THIS EVEN HAVE TO DO WITH SEAGATE AND WD DRIVES?

Such as  as an alert saying the utility they are trying to use is not suitable for the device?
          Ok, I'll humour you than. WHAT utility and WHAT device?

You better answer yes.
          I don't even know  what you are asking, and more to the point, why you are asking it. What does driver-level programming knowledge have to do with WD and seagate drives having problems? I wanted citations and sources for this drivel you call facts that makes you think that Seagate and WD drives have a number of extra issues that are statistically significant on top of those experienced by hard drives as a whole.

Something like that has already been done and you know it.
          if you say so...

It appears that the said companies made little effort to see if their stuff was compatible with what the industry was already doing.
          Again, what the *censored* does this have to do with seagate and WD drives? What incompatibilities? See you keep stating these things and it's the SOURCE of these alleged facts I want to know, I don't want to hear more so-called facts and reiterations of what I have specifically asked for sources for.

What more links? Here are a few. Pick them apart.
          I just want, reputable sources for this drivel you keep spewing. Forum posts do NOT constitute a reputable source in any case.

http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Other-External-products/Seagate-Expansion-2TB-Avoid-Unless-this-Problems-is-Fixed/td-p/41304

OK seriously, I'm not seeing the relevance. The OP's hard drive is an INTERNAL WD hard drive, presumably SATA; that thread talks about problems with a 2TB External, USB Seagate drive. You may see that there is a rather inordinate lack of any sort of correspondence between the two; different brands, different sizes, different interfaces, and different use-cases. For one thing, that thread discusses a problem that occurs when the PC using the drive is brought out of sleep mode. Considering that involves a problem dealing with the signals sent by USB it's almost certainly a problem with the USB to SATA bridge that is inside the external drive. Perhaps it's not sending those power events to the drive as IDE commands, or perhaps it deals with them incorrectly. Is it a problem? well, of course. Is it at all related to the drive itself? No. Is it related to internal drives like the  OPs? No, not at all.

Not answered, 5 months ago.
          http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110102043905AAl48e6
          It has two answers. the First sentence sums it up nicely. "Any Drive can fail at any time for any reason". It has nothing to do- at least in this case- with brand names, particularly since almost all hard drives are made in the same factories anyway. Just because you can find a few forum thread and questions talking about how some poor saps WD external drive failed doesn't mean that the failure rate, or problem rate, of WD and seagate hard drives is higher than other brands. After all, I'm sure I could find just as many forum threads and questions that say the same thing about every other brand of any other device.

No answer
          http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f16/problem-w-external-2tb-fantom-green-drive-542530.html
          Again... not sure what this proves. It just proves that one person has had issues with their hard drive of that brand. Additionally, we cannot "know" that this isn't file system level, the work of malware, or god knows what else. Assuming that "oh, you have a WD hard drive, well that is the problem" based on this nonsense as evidence is simply ridiculous.

A signature collusion?
          http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/14582-63-cannt-connect-external-hard-drives-once
          Windows issue when mounting drives. Usually only occurs after cloning drives but can happen in other instances (like say when somebody buys two identical drives).

Apple user has 'stupid software' from WD?
          http://www.hackint0sh.org/f291/109483.htm
          No, Apple user is using 'stupid software' from Apple that doesn't let them choose a volume. How is this even relevant to your claims that WD and Seagate drives have "more problems" than other drives, particularly since you seem to be focusing on external drives, are usually minor setbacks, and half the time the problem is clearly with something other than the drive. Like say, crappy Apple software that doesn't let you choose a volume and instead makes assumptions about what it should look at. yeah, because that is TOTALLY WD's fault. How dare they have the sheer gall to release a composite USB device that exposes two device nodes to the poor Apple product! Why it didn't know what to do, so it did what it did best- it just did something random.

Another Apple User
          http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1160717
          OK first off, that's not a WD or a seagate drive, it's a LaCIE, second, they dropped it and it simultaneously got disconnected during use. You seriously want to say this is somehow the hard drive manufacturer's screw-up?

Posted this year.
          http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/992257-wd-2tb-external-hard-drive.html
          And the stream of irrelevance continues!

You know what that person wants? They want a way to format their 2TB drive to use FAT32. I fail to see how any of what is presented in that thread somehow constitutes a failure on the part of WD. Are they supposed to magically make windows allow FAT32 to be used on the 2TB drive? Not to mention they did indeed find a piece of software to do that.

But seriously, What does that have to do with ANYTHING that you've stated. How does that back up your facts of irrelevance, telling people they should "try another brand" of hard drive because you somehow think that changing the hard drive will fix the problem where the machine refuses to boot from the HD, or the CD, is something you ought to back up with real information, not some unrelated forum thread about filesystem conversion.

Many of these,if not all, are because the user does not check the documentation and stick to what the manufacture says. Still, why is it so hard for the manufacture to tell people do not use any other utilities.
          I repeat again

WHAT UTILITIES? What manufacturer provided utility should that user have used to magically make their 2TB drive format to FAT32? What manufacturer utility makes the Apple software actually LOOK AT THE FREAKING DEVICE to see how many devnodes it has rather then just going with the first one and pretending it's right? More to the point, how are these problems, which are both inherent in other software - Windows refuses to format a drive/partition larger than a given size as FAT32 and the Apple software refuses to acknowledge the existence of devices with multiple device nodes, something that has been supported since USB 1.1 - somehow the hard drive manufacturer's responsibility to absolve? Tire manufacturers aren't going to make sure you know that the tire has to be filled with air and not kerosene.

Only one low end external by Seagate.
          Now mention was made about drives that did not get over three stars. Or the ones that would not work at all.
          http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/collection/1650/top_10_external_hard_drives.html
          What are you even talking about.
          http://www.zdnet.com/reviews/filter/external-hard-drives?categoryId=3190&filter=100021_10197437&tag=mantle_skin;content
          Ok, so you've proven that... well, you can buy external hard drives. Good work. I wasn't arguing against that but it's good of you to build that straw man, although I think that was entirely unintentional.

These are more or less user forums.
          As opposed, to you know, something statistically significant, which you imply this whole WD/Seagate "problem" to be. If it was the case, why can you find no statistically significant information on it?

Should I dip into the industry forms and newsletters?
          Not if you are going to make the same arguments to irrelevance and redundant points you tried to make with the user forum links, no.

Yet users are still complaining about external 2 TB drives.
          The OP's drive is internal, and it's 1TB. and almost all of those "complaints" were software issues unrelated to the drive itself.

Must be a lot of NVidia chip sets out there.

The NForce issue obviously only applies to internal drives. See, I made this silly mistake of assuming that what you were advising the OP to do was somehow based on your analysis of his situation- whereby he uses internal, SATA, 1TB  WD drives. However I now see it was just pulled out of thin air and had absolutely nothing to do with the OP's actual situation and everything to do with your inability to allow somebody to mention using a WD or Seagate drive without advising that they try a different brand as if their problem was caused by it. even those clearly unrelated to the drive at all, as in this case, where neither the HD nor the CD worked- and he returned and advised that the cause was in fact motherboard failure. So unless you want to weave some hair-breadth conspiracy theory where WD drives are now causing motherboard failures, it was clearly completely redundant.