Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installation Error 0x00000BC9 With .NET Framework and Windows Live Update  (Read 17134 times)

berricsrepresent

Topic Starter

Rookie

I have been receiving an error code recently when trying to install windows updates and installing in particular microsoft .NET 4 framework. Installation log below.

OS Version = 6.1.7600, Platform 2
    OS Description = Windows 7 - x64 Home Premium Edition
    CommandLine = C:\ed2b55e9a700feeecfc2139271dc\\Setup.exe /x86 /x64 /ia64 /web
    TimeZone = Eastern Daylight Time
    Initial LCID = 1033
    Using Simultaneous Download and Install mechanism
    Operation: Installing
    Package Name = Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup
    Package Version = 4.0.30319
    User Experience Data Collection Policy: Disabled
    Number of applicable items: 11
    Exe (C:\ed2b55e9a700feeecfc2139271dc\SetupUtility.exe) succeeded.
    Exe Log File: dd_SetupUtility.txt
    ServiceControl operation succeeded!
    ServiceControl operation succeeded!
    Exe (C:\Users\Teddy\AppData\Local\Temp\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_4.0.30319\Windows6.1-KB958488-v6001-x64.msu) failed with 0xbc9 - The requested operation failed. A system reboot is required to roll back changes made. .
    Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x00000BC9), "The requested operation failed. A system reboot is required to roll back changes made. " (Elapsed time: 0 00:00:19).

berricsrepresent

Topic Starter

Rookie

This error still persists I'm thinking of reformatting lol can anyone help?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      berricsrepresent,
      Don't give up yet.
      Is you system usable at all?  If, you don't have to reformat to resolve the issue. Do you have lots of drive space? Enough for another install?

Use a program to re size your drive and/or make another partition.
      Install a new copy of Vista on the new partition.
      Then try the .NET job again. Likely you got a bum download.

Here is the reasoning for this:
      1. If you had a hardware or HDD problem, there would be other signs.
      2. Keeping  the original install makes it easier to find drivers and other stuff.
      3. Later you might discover that nit was a simple thing anyway.
      4. It really takes a long time to do a format and full install.

BTW. You should have a progressive backup plan already in place before you do any update.
      Acronis,  EASUS,  Paragon and a few others work good.

berricsrepresent

Topic Starter

Rookie

Thanks for the response!Yes my system is still usable, I am just fed-up with not being able to install certain programs/updates. I have plenty of drive space for another install. I'm a definite beginner at all of this and I don't have vista I have windows 7, when I purchased this gateway It already had windows 7 on the computer and not on a disc. Sorry for the trouble but could you possibly explain how I could install a new copy of windows 7 on a new partition and how to "make another partition" or provide a tutorial on how to make one and install windows 7 onto it without the disc because my gateway already had it pre-installed. Thanks for your help!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        OK
        Here is a one stop place :
        http://www.partition-tool.com/resource/partition-manager-windows-7.htm
        That will direct you to the EASUS tools, which are free for home use.

You can re size the partition, it if is one huge partition and create a new one and copy the original to the new partition.

There is a way to make  windows 7 create a DVD that can be used to repair the original install or re-install critical components. Right this moment I am not in from of my Windows 7 system, so I can't recall the details.

If you have the basic Windows 7, now might be a good time to consider the upgrade option of Windows 7 ultimate.

Here is a video.
        Videos of make a windows 7 repaor disk

Using the right tools, you can have two copies of Windows 7 on one hard drive. Hardy for experiments. and troubleshooting. I think its great. Others thing it is a freak, like Siamese twins. But it is a viable option to just wiping out what you have. It is actually easier to repair Windows 7 that it was to repair XP.

I have to get back to bed. CU mannana.

berricsrepresent

Topic Starter

Rookie

Thanks for the response,
          At this point I don't have anything else on my computer that is important and I would like to reformat. Is there a way I can just wipe my computer and re-install windows and boot windows 7 without the disc? This is because I was never given a disc to begin with it was already pre installed to my gateway. Three questions, how can I reformat without the actually copy of windows 7,and/or can I make a recovery disc or another copy of windows 7 somehow without having the same problem I do now? Next question is if I just went out and bought windows 7 ultimate and used that to boot would that be another option if my first two questions can't work out? At this point I just want to wipe my hard drive and clean my computer and reinstall windows. Thanks for the help man

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          Don't format pour drive. With Windows 7 that is seldom necessary. On your drive are folders that contain the stuff needed to re-do the installation. Please look over the videos about how to make a recovery disc in  Windows 7. It is a easy job if the system is working.

Do not format the hard drive! Do not buy another Windows 7,  unless you intend to go the upgrade path. The drivers and CABS  are non your hard drive.

Instead, you may want to put you money into a replacement drive and a external adapter.  With EASUS or other FREE clone software, you can "clone" you current drive. Then swap out the drive and fool around with different ways to rectory your system. It you fail, you still have the original. This is a very conservative method, but it works.

I am not suggesting there is anything wrong with your hard drive. Rather, I am urging you to get on the backup wagon. You already paid for windows 7. The install files are on the drive. Don't destroy them.

Please look over the videos. If you have a bad internet connection, say so and someone here can give you a link to a text only page.

And no, the recovery disc will not install on a blank hard drive.

Wefro_froyas

Hopeful

Hey Geek-9pm I'm with berricrepresent and we've been trying to solve this problem for a few days now.
            I see what you mean by copying the partition and then trying to fix the issue with different options. But we don't know how to fix the issue in the first place? Are you sure you don't know how to fix this error? If we were to make a copy of the drive we would just be stuck with two copys of the same drive with the problem and no solution on how to fix it.

Please respond, thank you

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            The system can still make a recovery CD.
             The files needed are hidden in directories that are for just this purpose.  But the rule is you can not re format the drive. The recovery disc, when you boot it, will work wonders and fix things. That is the easy part.

But I am telling the OP to start a backup plan first. We do not know for sure just what went wrong. Having another copy of the partition as a "clone" is one kind of backup plan that most people can do. It juts sound vulgar to have two copies on one drive. But it is a piratical nay to have a backup went  you have just one huge drive.

So here is what I mean.
            1. Use the built-in tools to make a recovery CD or DVD. The recovery stuff will fit on a CD. Avoid the R/W kind, not very reliable. The videso show how it is done.
            2. Get a copy of the Free EASES drive partition software. I have used it many times and have found it to be very reliable. Shrink the portion down at least  so there enough free space to make a new portion that can hold all the contents  of system and your folders. Might have to be 40 GB or so, depending how much stuff you have.
            3. EASUS has to reboot your PC one or two times. When it is donne, start it again and crate a new portion by making a copy of the active partition. Forgot to mention, it can only cloo0ne to free space equal or greater.
            4. Now you can try the recovery disc. It should find and fix any errors in the original partition and reboot windows.

I am being  conservative. He does not indicate he has any backup made. I urge  him to do some kind of backup. But make the CD recovery dis right away.

If this is to much, he can just go to his local drug store and buy an external backup for about $69,  big enough to hold everything he has.

The backup device costs less than a new Windows 7 install DVD.

Again. The Windows 7 recovery disc does NOT, by itself, contain a full recovery data set. It needs the special folders on the original install. So do NOT format the drive.

Reliable references:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7
            http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Create-a-system-repair-disc

Windows 7 System Recovery Disc is a bootable disc that contains tools to recovery and fix problems that  in the Windows 7 OS. Links above explain it better that I can.

And yes, you can go ahead and try the recovery without the backup. Your choice. I am chicken. :-[

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
            • Experience: Beginner
            Do you need .NET Framework to run a particular program? Have you tried running system file checker - sfc /scannow? You could also try removing first unsuccesful installation of .Net Framework 4 http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx and retry again downloading in your main account or as a administrator. Other possible workaround is downloading the 3.5 version.

berricsrepresent

Topic Starter

Rookie

@Jason, thanks for the response but I have already tried that solution.

@Geek-9pm So I booted up the system recovery/repair disc and I clicked the first option which is searching for windows problems and It didn't find a single problem... now what? Reformat time? I could easily go out and buy windows 7 unless there is another fix to this problem.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
              • Geek After Dark
                • Gekk9pm bnlog
              No, I don't have any more ideas. Other than what I said earlier. If you have a backup of the drive you could maybe resolve the issue at a later date. Of course you could ask the manufacture of the computer for a install DVD for that machine. It should cost less than a retail Windows 7 package.

Broni

Mastermind
              • Kraków my love :)
                • Computer Help Forum
              • Experience: Experienced
              Let's try cleaning up your .NET framework...

Download, unzip, and run the dotnetfx_cleanup_tool. It will remove the .NET framework from your computer so that we can reinstall it later.

After running this cleanup tool, it should ask you to reboot. Please do so.

Next, download and install dotnetfx35.exe. This will reinstall the .NET framework onto your computer. Note: this is a large file, and could take some time to download depending on the speed of your internet connection.

After another reboot, download and install dotnetfx35setup.exe. This will update the .NET framework to version 3 SP1.

If you need any more updates for the .NET framework, Windows Update should find it for you (assuming updates are set to automatically download and install).