Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: hp pavilion dv6000, no display, and laptop powers up and then shuts down  (Read 2727 times)

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

laptop I have  an hp pavilion dv6000.  It has the same problem, that there is no display.  And even though I tried new ram sticks pc2 5300 in the ram slots, the display never came on, just the same power on and then shutoff after 2 seconds. 

Can I deduce from this that these ram slots are bad, or could it be something else?  I have already done a hard reset, but its still the same result

immental1200

Take the OLD ram sticks. Place one stick in one slot and attempt boot. If it works you know that stick is good and that slot is good. Mix and match until you find a working combination.

Then you know if the old ram or a slot is dead.

Then try a stick of the new ram in the slot you have tested to be working (or if both are working go for slot A)
    Then if that works add the other stick of ram - if it now fails swap the ram, if it fails again try the first stick of NEW ram in the B slot and attempt to boot. This will determine whether the new ram is at fault or if it is the slots.

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

immental,

I tried the trial and error method like you said, and it turns out that the ram slots are bad since I tried new ram sticks one at a time.  If the ram slots are bad, then is there any way of reviving the laptop, meaning can the ram slots be replaced easily?