Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 3 of 4 DIMM slots not working  (Read 8174 times)

Remilia

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    3 of 4 DIMM slots not working
    « on: June 27, 2011, 08:28:33 PM »
    Greetings

I have this old HP Compaq d530 Small Form Factor PC that I got used about a year ago, and 6 months ago it's 3rd DIMM (RAM) slot stopped working, as in gave me 5 beeps on startup, which is this models beep code for a RAM issue. So I trial and errored until I pinpointed it to the 3rd slot malfunctioning. Then, a week ago, slots 1 and 2 also went dead. I have tried swapping the memory sticks with new ones that I'm sure work, as well as replacing the power source of my PC with a newer one that I know works, and cleaned the memory slots as best I could with compressed air, etc, and no dice: they still fail. The odd thing is, if I connect the 3 sticks into the slots after I boot up my PC (being grounded of course), both CPU-Z and SpeedFan (programs that can detect hardware) BOTH detect the 3 sticks, but alas, they go unused. The 4 memory sticks are all the same exact 256mbs and all made by the same company. I assume it's a mobo problem, as I got this PC used, but sadly, the stupid BIOS for this computer doesn't allow me to do things like adjust RAM voltage, etc. Now, I am trudging through windows XP with a measly 256mbs of RAM and ready to hang myself it's so slow. Any help would be greatly appreciated~

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: 3 of 4 DIMM slots not working
    « Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 09:02:02 PM »
    It needs first generation RAM... (winces) that is one old pc... Well... for starters, 6 months ago, did it fail while the PC was up and running? or did it fail when/after you changed something inside?
    To rule out all possible PSU issues, have you attempted to boot with only 1 stick of RAM in slot 3?
    And for clarification, you said, you have four 256 MB ram sticks, 3 of which are working when plugged in. you should have 768 MB of RAM when booting into windows...
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
    Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

Remilia

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 11:02:19 PM »
      It's only 1 slot that remains working, with 3 broken ones. All of the sticks work fine, I've tested them one at a time in the one remaining working slot #4 with memtest, as well as in another PC, I'm positive that it's the mobo/slots. And it stopped working after I shut the PC down overnight and turned it back on again, no changes made. Another weird thing that may be worth mentioning is for awhile there, back when only 1 slot wasn't working, if I left the machine on for days at a time, then turned it off, quickly re-attached the RAM into the slot, and powered back on again, it would work. Not anymore though~

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 11:53:26 PM »
      Use 1st and 3rd slots. Or 2nd and 4th slots. http://www.andovercg.com/datasheets/hp-d530-quickspec-11632_na.pdf

Remilia

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 02:52:30 AM »
        Tried it already, doesn't work

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 01:06:57 PM »
        ...if I connect the 3 sticks into the slots after I boot up my PC (being grounded of course)...
        This is a reasonable method for damaging the computer and/or the RAM sticks.  RAM sticks are not "hot swappable"; being grounded make no difference if you install them "hot".

Remilia

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 02:47:47 PM »
          Yeah I figured that might not be the smartest method, but I was out of ideas at that point, and this all started before I tried it

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 03:48:06 PM »
          That board is shot. Kaput. You may prefer to believe that is is merely tired and shagged out after a long squawk, but it is finished. Put this 7 year old dying machine in a dumpster.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          • Certifications: List
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 04:15:59 PM »
          I'm believe those Compaq's use special memory:  256-MB DDR Synch Dram PC2700
          Since your model number is incomplete, all I could do is search www.crucial.com
          http://www.crucial.com/search/searchresults.aspx?keywords=compaq%20d530

Remilia

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 07:05:31 PM »
            @Salmon Trout:
            Nah, it's just the memory slots. Worst case scenario, I could just pony up and buy a 1g or 2g RAM stick and put it in the remaining working slot. The mobo has no problems other than this

@Computer_Commando:
            Perhaps, but that wouldn't explain why it worked flawlessly for 6 months before acting up (at least I don't think it would ^^;). The RAM I use is "Nanya 256mb DDR PC3200" x4

There's an update to this problem: Today, I got a 512mb RAM stick from a different PC and put it into each of the slots of my faulty HP, and it actually works in slots #3 and #4, despite none of the other 256mb ones working in slot #3. ~.~ Now, it is working alongside a 256mb one in the slot that always worked (#4) for a total of 768mbs of RAM, which is passable for my purposes of this comp, but I'd still rather like to know wth is going on here, and how to fix it, since 1,280mbs of RAM would certainly be preferable

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
            « Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 07:31:22 PM »
            but I'd still rather like to know wth is going on here, and how to fix it

Use 1st and 3rd slots. Or 2nd and 4th slots. http://www.andovercg.com/datasheets/hp-d530-quickspec-11632_na.pdf[/quote]
            Have you read the documentation? Click on Memory, page 18? Possible memory configuration.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 07:51:24 PM »
            Actually as was already illustrated above...plugging/unplugging RAM chips with power to the machine is probably what has sent this MBoard to it's early demise...
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Remilia

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 04:25:57 AM »
              @jason2074:
              I appreciate your efforts, but I've already fiddled around with every possible combination to no avail

@patio:
              I doubt that, I've done this kind of experiment before to other PC's that were later fixed and ran perfectly, I think the danger is removing one that was already recognized at startup, not plugging one in an empty slot after startup, and like I said already, the problem began BEFORE I tried doing that. Plus, I now have a -working- RAM stick inside a slot (#3) that I tried plugging in after power was on and it is working fine (after restart though). And there is no "demise", I'm using the PC with the very same mobo in question as we speak, and it's very much alive

Salmon Trout

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 10:20:34 AM »
              @patio: I doubt that, I've done this kind of experiment before

Connecting and/or disconnecting or inserting/removing RAM modules or any other item not designed to be hot-swappable is very bad practice. Add-on cards, (display, network, sound), disk drives, PS/2 keyboards & mice, serial port connectors, all these things and more can be damaged or damage the motherboard, often in subtle ways that won't immediately show up. You may have been lucky so far, but you would be foolish to disregard the advice of people who (clearly) know more than you.

Others reading this would be foolish to take your opinion as authoritative.