Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Long time at Starting Windows screen  (Read 4919 times)

XiiOgreiiX

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Long time at Starting Windows screen
    « on: June 29, 2011, 04:37:04 PM »
    Hi, I am having an issue with my computer when it starts up. It is much slower than it should be, when I turn it on it will go through the startup screens fairly quickly, but when it gets to the screen that says Starting Windows, the computer stays there for about a minute and a half before it continues. then it goes to the welcome screen for about 15 seconds before getting to the desktop. When using the computer it is fine. Shutdown is quick. But I know that it should start up much faster.

This was my first computer that I built and I recently realized that I originally installed windows 7 with the HDD in IDE mode when it should have been in AHCI mode.
    I did make a change about 2 weeks ago by going off of a forum that I found which told me how to change to ACHI mode without reinstalling. I changed one of the registry values (just one!) and rebooted, changed to AHCI and it has been working well until now. I don't think the change had anything to do with my problem because it has always started up slowly.

Thanks for any input!

System:

Processor: Intel Core i7-940 2.93 GHz
    Graphics Card: XFX Radeon HD 5570 (X2 Crossfire)
    Motherboard: Asus P6D58-E
    RAM: 6 GB OCZ Gold 1600 MHz
    PSU: 850W ABS Dark Beret
    Hard Drive: WD Caviar Black 640GB 6.0 GB/s

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    Re: Long time at Starting Windows screen
    « Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 12:06:25 AM »
    Download this tool http://download.cnet.com/StartUp-Tool/3000-2105_4-10465585.html and uncheck user(USR) applications and hit apply. Reboot your PC.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 06:00:53 AM »
    I really don't see any problem. So your system takes a couple of minutes to boot. So do most systems. If that's the only issue I really wouldn't worry about it. But if you insist on looking into it you can do this:

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

XiiOgreiiX

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 09:09:53 AM »
      Well for me it is very annoying because I built this computer with the notion that I was going to have everything about it be fast. That is why I spent a long time picking out a motherboard that would support a Sata 3 hard drive. I just started up my computer with all services and files set to load and it took 3:38 minutes (from time I press power button to time I can see the background. I used msconfig and disabled all services and startup files and rebooted in 2:57 min. While that may have been slightly faster, it is not satisfying, especially when considering that windows 7 was designed to startup/shutdown quickly. I just started my laptop in under 0:45 min. If I can't find anything I was thinking about reinstalling windows, but I will probably wait and buy a SSD (I am planning on doing this already because I can get decent discounts on them.)
      T

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      « Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 12:36:14 AM »
      If reinstalling the PC would revert the performance you are expecting out of the box, then I would go by it.