Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: possible virus: winoldap, dark, requiembot  (Read 4696 times)

into_thevoid

possible virus: winoldap, dark, requiembot
« on: August 28, 2005, 12:04:42 PM »
hi,

recently an instant message was sent to me via MSN messenger, and it said hey check this out, followed by a link.  when i clicked on the link a program opened that appeared to have something to do with a ms-dos prompt.  suddenly all my open msn conversations started opening and closing and other contacts also had windows opening and closing.  when i rebooted the first thing that happened was a illegal operation error for a program called "Dark."  something i have never heard of.  i'm running windows 98 and when i ctrl alt del there are about 30 programs running titled "winoldap" again something i have never heard of.  i entered safe mode and attempted a virus scan with an up to date norton antivirus, and it returned nothing.  a spyware scan with ad-aware did remove 4 objects but none of them were relevant as the problem persists.  one other thing, upon one reboot a program "RequiemBot"  opened a tab on my task bar but nothing appeared and i was unable to close it.

thank you for your help if you can...

Raptor

Re: possible virus: winoldap, dark, requiembot
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 01:03:54 PM »
recently an instant message was sent to me via MSN messenger, and it said hey check this out, followed by a link.  when i clicked on the link a program opened that appeared to have something to do with a ms-dos prompt.  suddenly all my open msn conversations started opening and closing and other contacts also had windows opening and closing.

People should start doing two things:

1. Stop trusting strangers
2. Stop using Internet Explorer.

HijackThis
-- Manual malware remover. Post the HijackThis log generated only if requested!

Firewalls
Use both a hardware and software firewall.
Be advised as dual software firewalls may cause problems

ZoneAlarm Free
-- Free firewall - more user friendly
Sygate Personal
-- Free firewall - more configuration options
« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 01:04:10 PM by Raptor »

feebs05

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 07:40:24 PM »
first..let me say that i am by no means a computer wiz but i do know that nortons will not do a good job for you!!!!I had several spyware and trojan viruses on my new pc (only had it a week!!!!!) and some of the same happen on mine...and i had nortons as well...it did not even show a sign of anything going wrong...i went to castlecops.com and read alot..i downloaded these and i have used these on other pc as well..the do a gret job so try them and see if they will help...i am running xp and my old pc which i used these as well ran them fine...try www.ewido.com(free trial), microsoft.com there anti spyware beta software(free), trendmicros.com, PC Cillin security suite (ver nice anf free trial), spybot (nice and free forever), housecall.com (this will run a scan and is nice and free) also...here is a heads up in cause u don't now....STAY AWAY from WINFIXER2005!!!this download has spyware and is hard to get rid of..i ;earned the hardway..lol but if you do or know someone who has go to counterspy.com (free trial) that will take care of that one...one last thing and this is a good one to use every so ofter..go to castlecops.com and in the site map find "start-up List", this will give you over 10,000 startups that are needed to startup, good but ur choice to keep, not needed, a very few unknowns and that nasty DELETE NOW! this is a very nice thing to use..i usually write down all my startup programs and go to the list and check them out...make a note and then go and stop any that are not needed or viruses, spyware, worms or whatever. i uses this on my windows 98 pc 2 days ago and found i had 41 programs running and only 4 were needed and a few other were if i wanted to keep and the rest were to delete nows....also trojanhunter.com has a nice free trial as well they found along with spybot over 2000 bad items and 22 trojan and sywares on that pc..sorry i wrote so much but i wanted to share how i got rid of this stuff and what worked for me...good luck! ;)

merlin_2

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 08:50:34 PM »
People should start doing two things:

1. Stop trusting strangers
2. Stop using Internet Explorer.

and #3 stop clicking on any old thing just because it says to!  :o :o :o :o :o

and I guess #4 remember that Messenger, AIM, etc.  though "kewl" are a breeding ground for this stuff!!

::) ::) ::) ::)

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced