Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: new mobo for hp pavillion slimline s3400t  (Read 8878 times)

mazza

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • Experience: Familiar
new mobo for hp pavillion slimline s3400t
« on: July 20, 2011, 03:43:40 PM »
I am using a hp pavillion slimline s 3400t intel core 2 duo e4600 2.40 ghz cpu speed is 2.40 ghz/fsb speed 800 mhz
the bios is a phoenix-award bios v6.00pg

I have been unable to get my computer to boot up os. I tried going in and reseting the bios after installing a new battery. I talked to someone in chat who told me that my mother board was most likely the case.

could someone help me figure out what kind of mother board would be the best for my desktop ?

•Manufacturer's motherboard name: Irvine
Form Factor•Micro-ATX: 19.0 cm (7.5 inches) x 17.3 cm (6.8 inches)
Chipset•GeForce 7100/nForce 630i
Socket type: 775
Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
•Intel Core 2 Duo (Wolfdale) E8xxx
•Core 2 Duo E6xxx (Conroe) up to E6850
•Core 2 Duo E4xxx (Conroe) up to E4400
•Pentium E2xxx series (Conroe) with Dual Core technology up to E2160
•Celeron 4xx series (Conroe) up to Celeron 440

here is a link to ebay of possible choices
http://computers.shop.ebay.com/Computers-Networking-/58058/i.html?CPU%2520Type=NVIDIA%2520GeForce%25207100%2520%252F%2520nForce%2520630i&rt=nc&CPU%2520Socket%2520Type=LGA775%2520Socket&_nkw=irvine&_dmpt=Motherboards&_fln=1&_ssov=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: new mobo for hp pavillion slimline s3400t
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 04:10:53 PM »
You have not provided enough information to determine if the motherboard is faulty.  The fact that it doesn't boot the OS does not mean the mobo is bad.
Even if the mobo is bad, do not attempt to reuse the slimline case.  It's too much trouble.  Cases are only $20-40.

mazza

Topic Starter

Rookie
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 05:52:06 PM »
Computer_Commando
 should i start a new thread with my problem or explain here ?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 05:54:32 PM »
No, continue here.

BTW, your motherboard

This will help if you have to get into it further:
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00877796.pdf
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 06:06:45 PM by Computer_Commando »

mazza

Topic Starter

Rookie
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 06:06:22 PM »
my problem started after i replaced the battery for bios. After i replaced the battery, the computer wouldn't load past cmos. if i hit f10 entering set up will display across the screen and then sit there or will immediatly enter set up.

i have set the time and date to proper and saved have also turned on the boot diagnostics. The boot diagnostics says Initializing usb controllers but stops there.

I have also tried reseting the cmos by using the jumper and powering up with just the monitor plugged in to see if my keyboard or mouse could be the problem

someone suggested checking my boot menu
" am in bios right now. I see that my cd drive is listed as first and my hard drive is second. I am doing a smart extended self test right now on the hard drive. So far i have passed the smart status check and the smart short self-test. I havne't seen any thing listed as the third boot option but i will check after my test is done."

"Are you talking about the boot device priority ?
1st boot device is the floppy group
2nd boot device cd-rom group
3rd boot device hdd group
4th boot device network boot group

floppy group boot priority not installed
cd-rom group boot priority not installed. ( i have the cd drive unplugged right now)
hdd group boot priority ST3500630AS
network group boot priority not installed"

"am i to assume that i need to make the hdd group first and the floppy group the 3rd boot device ?

In main tab 1st drive is cd-drive and 2nd drive is the hard drive."

"moved the hdd group to first priority and made the floopy group 3rd priority. even plugged back in cd drive. still not loading."

"i am now able to load past the boot up screen but after that the monitor goes black so i think im not accessing the os"

I have also tried start up with no drivers plugged into mobo and the bios battery unplugged. have also taken ram out and tried one at a time to see if i get any post beeps

mazza

Topic Starter

Rookie
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 06:10:26 PM »
i have also made cd drive first and hd second according to another person's suggestion

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 06:22:54 PM »
1.  my problem started after i replaced the battery for bios.
2.  Initializing usb controllers but stops there.
3.  I have also tried reseting the cmos by using the jumper and powering up with just the monitor plugged in to see if my keyboard or mouse could be the problem
4.  am i to assume that i need to make the hdd group first and the floppy group the 3rd boot device ?
In main tab 1st drive is cd-drive and 2nd drive is the hard drive."
5.  i am now able to load past the boot up screen but after that the monitor goes black so i think im not accessing the os
6.  I have also tried start up with no drivers plugged into mobo and the bios battery unplugged. have also taken ram out and tried one at a time to see if i get any post beeps
1.  Your 1st post says it was before you replaced battery.
2.  If you have any external USB drives installed, unplug them.
3.  Every time you remove battery & reinstall, you must enter BIOS & F10 , Save & Exit.
4.  Boot priority is fine, even if device is unplugged.  FDD 1st, CD 2nd, HDD 3rd, Network 4th (turn off).  HDD priority is correct if ST3500630AS is the boot drive.
5.  See if it will boot to a bootable CD.
6.  Leave CMOS battery installed, unplug all drives.  Some computers will hang at BIOS, others screen will go blank as if it were trying to seek boot device.

mazza

Topic Starter

Rookie
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 06:47:31 PM »
1.  Your 1st post says it was before you replaced battery.
2.  If you have any external USB drives installed, unplug them.
3.  Every time you remove battery & reinstall, you must enter BIOS & F10 , Save & Exit.
4.  Boot priority is fine, even if device is unplugged.  FDD 1st, CD 2nd, HDD 3rd, Network 4th (turn off).  HDD priority is correct if ST3500630AS is the boot drive.
5.  See if it will boot to a bootable CD.
6.  Leave CMOS battery installed, unplug all drives.  Some computers will hang at BIOS, others screen will go blank as if it were trying to seek boot device.

1. I tried going in and reseting the bios after installing a new battery was what my first post says but in truth your right. my problem started after an update was made to limewire. went to boot the next day and was unable after readining in forums found the battery could be the problem. I pulled the battery and put it back in was able to start up with no problems and then promptly deleted lime wire thinking that might be the cause. Then a month goes by and i get a bios check sum error, the time and dates were wrong after some more reading found a faulty battery would be my problom. replaced the battery and have been unable to boot since.
2. everything is unplugged expect for the power cord, the moniter cable and the keyboard as far as external goes
3.  yes everytime i mess with something i will set time and date, then save and exit
4. boot priority is set up just how you describe expect there isn't a fdd
5. hp has the os cd installed onto the computer where your supposed to be able to access. i am not able to. i don't have physical form of os if this is what you are asking
6. after the  bios screen goes black but with writing on the bottom: default bios settings have been loaded to due ....says something about pressing enter to mess with set up or let it boot then screen goes black and words appear boot disk failure please put in system disk and press enter..

mazza

Topic Starter

Rookie
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 06:55:12 PM »
6. now after the bios screen, screen goes black, no writing is displayed

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 07:08:25 PM »
At this time, it seems to indicate the HDD is corrupted.
You can test the hard drive & at the same time see if it will boot a CD
Since it's a Seagate HD,  get the SeaTools ISO to create a bootable CD.
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=seatooldreg&vgnextoid=480bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

Using MagicISO to make bootable CD
http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-make-bootable-cd.htm

Since it won't boot from the HD, you may have to do a repair install from the HP Recovery CD's.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07143&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3708937

F11 at the splash screen will access the Recovery Partition located on the HD.  This will reinstall the OS as it was when the computer was shipped.  You will lose everything you have installed & all personal files.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00814731&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3708937&tmp_track_link=ot_search

mazza

Topic Starter

Rookie
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 12:03:23 AM »
At this time, it seems to indicate the HDD is corrupted.
You can test the hard drive & at the same time see if it will boot a CD
Since it's a Seagate HD,  get the SeaTools ISO to create a bootable CD.
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=seatooldreg&vgnextoid=480bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

Using MagicISO to make bootable CD
http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-make-bootable-cd.htm

Since it won't boot from the HD, you may have to do a repair install from the HP Recovery CD's.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07143&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3708937

F11 at the splash screen will access the Recovery Partition located on the HD.  This will reinstall the OS as it was when the computer was shipped.  You will lose everything you have installed & all personal files.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00814731&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3708937&tmp_track_link=ot_search

f11 and f9 are dead keys for me.

i tried the seatools iso and nothing(well beside the cd drive lighting up) got the black screen

on the hp recovery cd's could i use xp's recovery cd's ? i know that would be a downgrade

and on this note im kicking myself for not mentioning this earlier could saved us both some time..i took my desktop in couple months ago to a computer shop that was offering free intial computer diagnostics. after they looked at it, they told me that they had tried putting in another hd that they knew worked and had no luck, also had put in a dvd into the cd-rom and got no response as well.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 12:45:32 AM »
The only way around I can see is hooking the Hard drive on a good known running PC, connect and try reinstalling OS. If Initial Setup was made, Cancel and by then you know who's hardware fault will be.

mazza

Topic Starter

Rookie
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 05:14:42 PM »
The only way around I can see is hooking the Hard drive on a good known running PC, connect and try reinstalling OS. If Initial Setup was made, Cancel and by then you know who's hardware fault will be.

is there any danger for the person who would let me try hd to their pc ?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 05:27:12 PM »
Try the SeaTools CD you made from the iso on any computer, just to see if the CD functions.  It should boot and has the capability to test most all brands.

mazza

Topic Starter

Rookie
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 07:41:35 PM »
Try the SeaTools CD you made from the iso on any computer, just to see if the CD functions.  It should boot and has the capability to test most all brands.

tried the cd on my toshiba laptop and was able to boot from it..what's next ??