Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP doesn't see my second HD.  (Read 2084 times)

Fred615

XP doesn't see my second HD.
« on: August 04, 2011, 03:10:56 PM »
I have an XP Pro SP3 using an Intel dual 2.6gb chip. I had 2 HD's and 2 DVD drives. One of each was IDE and one of each was SATA. I upgraded the IDE DVD to SATA and when rebooting found that neither the new SATA DVD nor the IDE HD were seen by Windows Explorer or a partition app.

A friend suggested that I re-install the IDE DVD drive and if everything came back to it's previous state (it did), then to rename (drive letter) the second hard drive to allow the bios to assign a drive letter that would be recognized on the next boot. I did that and then re-installed the new Sata DVD drive and when I rebooted, the new DVD drive was there with the original HD drive letter but the IDE HD  is still missing. I renamed the DVD drive thinking that if I free up the original drive letter for the IDE drive that it might show up on the next reboot. Nope. It is invisible to the bios, EaseUS Partition Master, Windows Disk Manager, and Windows Explorer. However, I have an application that was installed on the IDE HD and when I click on the icon on the desktop, that app actually works. So the drive is functioning, it's just invisible.

Additional info: The four drives are
CH0 Master - Sata HD
CH0 Slave - Sata DVD
CH1 Master - none (but originally the IDE HD)
CH1 Slave - NEW Sata DVD (and the old IDE DVD)

And when I ask the Bios to search for another drive for CH1 Master, it returns nothing. It cannot find the IDE HD.

Any thoughts?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert